The Literature Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ravens1991 View Post
    I have to read Scarlett Letter for honors english summer HW, is that a good book?
    I absolutely hated it. I hate most of the "classics" they just seem to bore me death. Out of the books I had to read for school, I only like a few of them: Les Miserables, Animal Farm, Going After Cacciato, Dante's Inferno, Paradise Lost, and probably a few more I forgot.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me.
    Hunter S. Thompson

Comment

Some of my favorite fiction:
      1. Slaughterhouse-Five by Kurt Vonnegut
      2. White Noise by Don DeLillo
      3. Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome
      4. The Metamorphosis by Franz Kafka
      5. Lucky Jim by Kingsley Amis
      6. Cat's Cradle by Kurt Vonnegut
      7. The Crying of Lot 49 by Thomas Pynchon
      8. The Stranger by Albert Camus
      9. Catch-22 by Joseph Heller
      10. 1984 by George Orwell

Some of my favorite poems:
      1. "The Idea of Order at Key West" by Wallace Stevens
      2. "The Fish" by Elizabeth Bishop
      3. "Quarantine" by Eavan Boland
      4. "Buffalo Bill's" by ee cummings
      5. "The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock" by T.S. Eliot

Currently Reading:
      1. The Spirit Level by Seamus Heaney
      2. The Sirens of Titan by Kurt Vonnegut
      3. The Sickness Unto Death by Soren Kierkegaard

Comment

I figured I'd bring this old thread back. I just read The Art of War. It was pretty good. I'm about to begin Gravity's Rainbow.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by Staubach12 View Post
          I figured I'd bring this old thread back. I just read The Art of War. It was pretty good. I'm about to begin Gravity's Rainbow.
          I read the Art of War in like 5th grade, i wanted to grow up and lead armies and attack nations

Im hoping to read Wiseguy, which is about Henry Hill, a guy who was in the mafia and ratted (spelling?) out everyone

Sig thanks to Bonekrusher

Comment

Oh man, im gunna have so much to contribute to this thread...as someone who reads an awful lot, here are some of my favourite novels...

Fight Club, Chuck Palahniuk- Ive never read anything so moving in my life. Everytime i read it it breaks my heart, simply because it paints a picture that is so bleak its stunning. I love it. Its very differant from the movie, and drives home its anti-consumerist message much better then the movie does. This is without doubt my favourite novel, and always will be. Id recommend it for anyone who hasnt already read it.

Blindness, Jose Saramago- Another novel that touches upon the depths of the human soul, Blindness is about an epidemic in which the majority of the human population is turned blind. It details the collapse of society with clarity, and some of the novel is terrifying to be honest. One of teh best written novels ive ever read. Spectacular in every way. I cant say enogh good things about it. Its written with hardly any punctuation, sentences can be half a page long. Its very disorienting at first, but once you get used to it, you cant put the nove down.

Oryx And Crake, Margaret Atwood- another post apocolyptic novel about a man who had a large role in mankinds downfall. Details his guilt and pain in reliving his memories as the last man on earth. Very very good novel, with alot of satire and black humour. Deals heavily with bioengineering and the ethics behind it, im writing a paper on it for school. Its fantastic. I love it, i recommend it to everyone.

those are just a few, but i can go on and on and on all night. but for anyone who hasnt read those novels, i recommend them right away
            Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
            The APS is strong in this one.
            Originally posted by killxswitch
            Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

More of my favourites that i forgot...

American Psycho, Bret Easton Ellis- A bit on the graphic side, actually its probably the most disturbing thing ive ever read, but i love the messages in the novel. As you can tell, im big on these kinds of books and if you can sort through the mass amounts of designer brands, there is an important sentiment behind the words.

The Secret History, Donna Tartt- Another very good novel, about several college students who commit a murder. However, its written in reverse style and its very very effective. A gripping read that deals with grief and despair and consequences
              Originally posted by Mr. Goosemahn
              The APS is strong in this one.
              Originally posted by killxswitch
              Tears for Fears is better than whatever it is you happen to be thinking about right now.

Comment

Originally posted by wiscbadgerfootball View Post
                idk if anyone else has read Tears of a Tiger.. very good book, emotional though
                Ya I read that a long time ago. I think its based on a real event that happened in Cincinnati but I'm not 100% on that.

^A Bonekrusher production^
                Gamertag= ELDUDERINO1165

Comment

I am writing a literary analysis about the "His Dark Materials" trilogy (Golden Compass), I reccomend them, very well written.

Originally posted by BeansDooma
                  who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?

Comment

Originally posted by bearfan View Post
                    I am writing a literary analysis about the "His Dark Materials" trilogy (Golden Compass), I reccomend them, very well written.
                    I loved those books as a kid.

Pick the Winners Champion 2008 | 2011

Comment

Anything by Tolstoy is always great.

I recently got done reading A Day in the Life of Ivan Denisovich. Great book for anyone who enjoys Russian History.

The Reader is also a good book lightly related to the holocaust. Great Ending.

Hitler's Niece is another book I liked.

What do the vikings and marijuana have in common? Every time you put them in a bowl
                      they get smoked.

2010-2011 Super Bowl Champions
                      Hint:Not the Bears.

Comment

we'll have to bring this back up once school starts

im gonna be in Eng 132: novels and short stories

i'll know in august what books i'll be reading

cred 2 BoneKrusher

Comment

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest is easily a top 3 novel of all time...It's truely amazing...The novel makes the movie look like a piece of crap. I watched the movie after I read the book and thought that it was a joke.

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                          Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

since there seems to be alot of talk about 1984 does anyone else think that if it were made into a movie that Chris hansen would make a good O'Brien?
                            "The liberator who destroys my property, is fighting to save my spirit. The teacher who clears all possessions from my path will set me free."-Tyler Durden

Comment

Originally posted by doingthisinsteadofwork View Post
                              since there seems to be alot of talk about 1984 does anyone else think that if it were made into a movie that Chris hansen would make a good O'Brien?
                              lol, nice...but seriously if they make 1984 it will crash and burn and I will be pissed off

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
                              Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

getcha a pull of some robert s thompson. or watch fear and loathing in las vegas to get a taste. some of the most wild and trippy writings i have ever read. indulge while reading. =D

Hitman D

Comment

Working...
                                X

Debug Information