The Literature Thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Literature Thread

This is a thread to discuss novels, plays, poems, etc. Not sure if anyone here really likes good literature, but I figured I'd give it a shot.

Anyway, I just got done reading 1984 for the first time. It was very, very good. I liked it a lot, though the end really surprised me. I'm now reading Travels with Charlie by John Steiback. I really like it, as well. It's not one of his most popular books, has anyone read it before?

BoneKrusher

Animal Farm was pretty good when we read it in school. Lord of the Flies wasnt bad either. Some real good books though (if you're into Fantasy/Adventure): Pendragon, Farsala Trilogy, Abhorsen Trilogy, Inheritance Trilogy, and anything by Diane Wynne Jones

Originally posted by BeansDooma
    who retires first: brett favre or aaron rodgers?

Comment

I'm reading Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.

sig by BoneKrusher

Originally posted by BuckNaked
      Ok I'd almost rather spank my meat with sandpaper at this point.

Comment

I'm currently reading Principle of Economics (Third Canadian Edition) by Mankiw, Kneebone, McKenzie, and Rowe. It sucks. :(

Comment

I'm reading The Bureau and The Mole- it's about the FBI Double Agent Robert Hanssen

sig by me.. first in ages, pm with requests

Comment

Some of my favorites:

- Anything by Nelson DeMille

- "Key Witness" by Freedman

- "Absolute Power" by David Baldacci....the movie was good too.

- Most Alexandre Dumas books.

Comment

Cliche now since all the emo kids got to it, but "Catcher in the Rye" is honestly one of favorite books.

Comment

anyone ever read "Make me wanna holler" or "Native son"

I have those two books in my possesion (recommended by others). Havent read them yet but def plan to soon.

i actually am writting a novel right now (been working on it the past 3 years), so much of my "literary" time is spend on that instead of reading others works

-sig by jkpigskin

Comment

My favourite book of all-time is 1984 by Orwell...

Right now I'm reading 'the Plot Against America' by Phillip Roth.

Sig by Fenikz

I remember NFLDC
                  don't tell anyone, but Charlie Casserly is a dope fiend

Comment

Originally posted by adschofield View Post
                    I'm reading Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck.
                    I plan on reading that pretty soon. Steinbeck's on of my favorites already and all I've read is Of Mice and Men and some of Travels with Charlie. As for Catcher in the Rye, I definaetly have that one on my to-do list. As far as some good books I've read, Of Mice and Men is my favorite book. It's got several good themes and It just says alot about human nature and tendencies of life. The title comes from the poem "To a Mouse" by Robert Burns that I reccomend, but read the translated one. The Scotish one is very hard to read. The Giver is a very elementary utopian novel, but still very good. It says alot about conformity. Fahrenheit 451 is very good. I'll explain more later. I have to go.

BoneKrusher

Comment

OK, I've got more time. Fahrenheit 451 is a bit hard to explain and it makes you think about the ideas that literature implants in us, but it's very good. I highly reccommed it. 1984 is very, very good. Surprising end, and it makes you think, a liot like F451. Things Fall Apart by Chinua Achebe is very good and it deals a lot with colonialism and adjusting to surroundings. A Tale of Two Cities is incredible. One of my favorite novels. It's a long read, but the imagery and the plotline are just incredible. Brave New World is a lot like F451 and 1984. It's another utopia novel, but it deals a lot more with the ideals of being truly happy, and I've actually written a little something based on those ideas experssed within the novel. Animal Farm is a very good historical novel that helps break down how Italy and the USSR became such communisty nations. If anyone has any reccomendations, I'd love to hear them.

BoneKrusher

Comment

Originally posted by -black View Post
                        anyone ever read "Make me wanna holler" or "Native son"

I have those two books in my possesion (recommended by others). Havent read them yet but def plan to soon.

i actually am writting a novel right now (been working on it the past 3 years), so much of my "literary" time is spend on that instead of reading others works
                        Really? Tell us about it. What's it about?

BoneKrusher

Comment

I've read some medical suspense novels by Robin Cook. They were pretty good.

http://minnesotasportstwentyfourseven.blogspot.com/

Comment

Any books by Orson Scott Card are great. Start out with "Ender's Game" and "Ender's Shadow". Also, I like the Harry Potter books lol. Those things capture my attention and I can't stop reading them. It pisses me off that the movies are so childish and the names of the books are g.ay. But they really are good books.

Lord of the Flies is my all-time favorite book btw, if you haven't read it, you have to now.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                              X

Debug Information