Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   mvp (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1061)

alca1992 12-11-2006 05:57 PM

mvp

i say drew

smittyjs 12-11-2006 05:59 PM

LT, but Drew season along with the saints........ :shock:

12-11-2006 06:00 PM

You my friend are a:

ninerfan 12-11-2006 06:17 PM

Drew - I also heard he's starring in the sequel to the Prestige with Hugh Jackman - coz **** me he's a magican

Smooth Criminal 12-11-2006 06:17 PM

I'm giving it to LT. He already broke the TD record and has 3 games left in this season. He is having an amazing season and definately deserves the MVP award.

12-11-2006 06:21 PM

How can you guys possibly say Brees? LT is going to smash the record for most touchdowns. He is completely unstoppable

ninerfan 12-11-2006 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsalltheway
How can you guys possibly say Brees? LT is going to smash the record for most touchdowns. He is completely unstoppable

unless of course Brees puts a spell on him 8)

Shiver 12-11-2006 06:25 PM

What people forget about Drew Brees, is while he has monster statistics, all four of the Saints losses correspond with Brees' 300-yard games. Look beyond the stats, instead look at the context of how he's put up those stats.

LaDainian Tomlinson is having the greatest RB season of all time, and has been the best running back in football for a while, carrying his team to a 11-2 record. If he doesn't win, with a 2,200+ total yard, 35-ish touchdown season, while Shaun Alexander has an MVP award after pounding sub-par NFC West and AFC South opponents, it would be a travesty.

alca1992 12-11-2006 06:25 PM

Quote:

cause the awrd is most valuable player and even tough i think LT has had a better year then brees and in my opinion the best RB in a long long time. drew has just been more valuable to his team

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 12-11-2006 06:31 PM

This thread is a joke.

How can you not include Jay Cutler? 8)

duckseason 12-11-2006 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alca1992
Quote:

cause the awrd is most valuable player and even tough i think LT has had a better year then brees and in my opinion the best RB in a long long time. drew has just been more valuable to his team

By definition, the better player is more valuable. I don't know where all this "he's more valuable to his team" crap started, but it's always been annoying to me. Seems to me Ladainian is more valuable to his team anyway. Remember how they were teammates? Seems as though the Chargers are doing just fine without Brees. Anyway, my point is that "Most Valuable" means just that. Think of them as diamonds. Who shines brighter? Who has less flaws? Who is more valuable? If they had an award for MVP of all time, Tomlinson's season this year would likely have the best odds at winning it. It really isn't even close in my opinion. Brees is definitely having an MVP worthy year, and he would likely win it in most seasons. It's just too bad it coincided with perhaps the greatest individual season in the history of the game.

12-11-2006 06:51 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The award is usually not given to the most valuable player, and if it was, neither Brees nor LT would win. The award is given to the player who played the best throughout the year.

Staubach12 12-11-2006 06:53 PM

I think the only way Brees can pass up Tomlinson is if he breaks the season season passing record. If he does that, it'll be really close.

TitleTown088 12-11-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

You my friend are a:

he's a hispanic person?

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 12-11-2006 07:00 PM

I think if both players and teams stay on their current pace, we'll have Co-MVP's.

TitleTown088 12-11-2006 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TPFKA#1SaintsFan
I think if both players and teams stay on their current pace, we'll have Co-MVP's.

was the last time that happened brett favre and barry sanders?

oh my , how the times have changed, there used to be two MVPs in the NFC nordie.

TPFKA#1SaintsFan 12-11-2006 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitleTown088
Quote:

oh my , how the times have changed, there used to be two MVPs in the NFC nordie.

I believe the last time it happened was Peyton Manning and Steve McNair.

BuddyCHRIST 12-11-2006 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duckseason
Quote:

Quote:

By definition, the better player is more valuable. I don't know where all this "he's more valuable to his team" crap started, but it's always been annoying to me. Seems to me Ladainian is more valuable to his team anyway. Remember how they were teammates? Seems as though the Chargers are doing just fine without Brees. Anyway, my point is that "Most Valuable" means just that. Think of them as diamonds. Who shines brighter? Who has less flaws? Who is more valuable? If they had an award for MVP of all time, Tomlinson's season this year would likely have the best odds at winning it. It really isn't even close in my opinion. Brees is definitely having an MVP worthy year, and he would likely win it in most seasons. It's just too bad it coincided with perhaps the greatest individual season in the history of the game.

not at all, especially when your comparing to a QB to a RB. Because a QB is WAY more important.

12-11-2006 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitleTown088
Quote:

McNair and Manning a few years ago.

doingthisinsteadofwork 12-11-2006 07:14 PM

The # of tds for LT will win it for him.

duckseason 12-11-2006 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST
Quote:

Originally Posted by duckseason
Quote:

Quote:

not at all, especially when your comparing to a QB to a RB. Because a QB is WAY more important.

You're right, a QB is more important to a team. I agree. So, I guess we should just give the MVP to the best QB every year then.

alca1992 12-11-2006 07:29 PM

Quote:

i wouldnt mind that

B-Dawk 12-11-2006 07:33 PM

Brees has an argument for mvp but offensive player of the year is without a doubt LT

Shiver 12-11-2006 07:36 PM

The pro-Brees line of thought would be more plausible had Carson Palmer won it or co-won it with Alexander last year. Looking at the context of last year; Palmer had a breakout season, he was the top QB, playing for a losing franchise. Very much Brees-esque. Another thing to notice, while Brees has put up an awesome amount of passing yards, his team has four losses, all of which came while Brees had 300+ yards passing. He put up some gaudy stats, but half of his 'big' games have come in garbage time in four losses.

Shaun Alexander, while having the Touchdown and Rushing Title records, hardly was on the field in passing situations. Alexander padded his stats against dreadful run defenses, such as Arizona, St Louis and San Francisco six times, Houston, Tennessee, Indianapolis when resting starters, Green Bay, Atlanta. Tomlinson has had a much tougher schedule than Alexander had, and has destroyed his production from last year, while being a force on passing downs. Also, can anyone say that Tomlinson has the help that Alexander had last year?

Zim3031 12-11-2006 07:54 PM

It's a shame that these two players are having such great seasons at the same time, one of them has to be snubbed.

That said, I'd give it to Tomlinson hands down. The only other legitimate red zone threat on that team is Gates, LT is making the difference between touchdowns and field goals. Over the course of a season that can make a HUGE difference in a team's success. Not to mention the guy has broken an NFL record with three whole games left! He has an oppurtunity to finish with a touchdown count in the mid 30's. That's absolutely insane.