Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   What's wrong with Philip Rivers? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1164)

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 12-29-2006 05:02 PM

What's wrong with Philip Rivers?

Last 2 games:

8-23(34.8) 97 yards, 2 INT

10-30(33.3) 181 yards

They're winning despite him right now. If he doesn't pick it up, he could become the reason they don't win the super bowl. He's putting alot of pressure on LT and that defense, and eventually, someone(Most likely the Ravens) will contain LT and make Philip beat them. He won't be able to do it playing the way he is now.

Windy 12-29-2006 05:13 PM

I'd take Rex Grossman at this present time. Call me crazy or call be dumb watch grossman win and rivers smell like dung.

Jango 12-29-2006 05:14 PM

He's just entering the phase where people know enough about him as a starter to limit him and his big play possibilities. IMO it's just a phase and he will snap out of it.

Having said that, he has still led his teams to wins and to the playoffs which was his goal at the beginning of the year. So even though lately he seems to be struggling, he still got the job done which is the number 1 priority.

diabsoule 12-29-2006 05:38 PM

He got too much poontang which wore him out but I'm sure he'll bounce back fine. Guys adjust pretty well to getting the ladies and I'm sure little Rivers is now adjusted too.

SeanTaylorRIP 12-29-2006 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule
He got too much poontang which wore him out but I'm sure he'll bounce back fine. Guys adjust pretty well to getting the ladies and I'm sure little Rivers is now adjusted too.

Wasn't he married with a kid before he was even drafted?

yourfavestoner 12-29-2006 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghettosermon
Quote:

Yup.

San Diego Chicken 12-29-2006 05:59 PM

Well first, he was a bit overrated in the middle of the season. Even in some of the games where Philip had good games statistically, he wasn't perfect and still showed some signs of his inexperience. Media praised his desisison making but he wasn't immune from making some bad desisions.

It takes him a while to get in rhythm. He's a rhythm passer and usually starts a game off slow. It's just the way he is. He's a little innacurate to start a game and it takes him a while to get used to the look that a defense is giving him.

Now for some of the things that aren't his fault, his WR corps has been dealing with injuries. McCardell, Parker and Floyd have spent time on the injured list. Parker has the most receptions of any Chargers wide reciever and is pretty reliable at getting open. Last week the Chargers dropped a lot of passes as well (at least five by my count including some uncharacteristic ones from LT)

Also, the playcalling hasn't helped him out. Early in the season the game plan was to get Rivers in rhythm early in the game by utilizing the short passing game and getting LT the ball on swing passes and screens. Lately Cameron has been electing to run alot of deep, low percentage pass plays early to open things up for LT. Case in point, LT has only 7 catches in the last five games and he's arguably the best/most dangerous recieving RB in the league.

diabsoule 12-29-2006 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ghettosermon
Quote:

Haven't you seen Any Given Sunday? Being married doesn't stop pro-athletes from getting poonanny.

12-29-2006 06:23 PM

He's not Jay Cutler.

bmoreravens5289 12-29-2006 06:28 PM

Defenses are getting more game tape to study him with. He might also be getting worn down as this is his first season as a starter.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 12-29-2006 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cardsalltheway
He's not Jay Cutler.

****** right!

CC.SD 12-29-2006 06:58 PM

Believe it or not, it is not all his fault. Against KC he had a guy in his face almost every time he dropped back.

Seattle, well, what can you say, he was off on a bunch of passes. It was raining. He also had at least 5 drops; I counted at least 3 from Vincent Jackson and a couple more from LT and Lorenzo Neal. If he had been 15/30 with 2 tds, no ints, and the win, no one would be saying anything.

But he made the bomb at the end of KC to seal the victory with that field goal.

And he slapped Seattle in the face with another bomb at the end of the game.

This is the most important though:
Keenan is playing hurt, and he's ancient. Parker has been out. Floyd is gone. Teams are double and tripling Gates. Jackson has been his only reliable target lately, and Jackson has had several very successful games now.

Hell, we just signed Az Hakim off the compost heap and everybody is wondering "Why is Rivers' play going south?" To quote Mencia, "dee dee dee."

They aren't winning "in spite of" Rivers. They could be doing a lot better if he was in the zone the entire game, but Rivers is going out and winning the games. 13 of them so far.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 12-29-2006 07:02 PM

Very good, all of you. Continue posting reasons.

CM4 12-29-2006 07:11 PM

He stepped up when he had to last week...10 of 30 for 2 tds, you forgot that stat cutler....

that last drive had 3 key passes in it i believe. I feel that Rivers will be fine in the playoffs as long as SD is at home, but if they lose sunday for some odd reason to AZ and they haev to travel, i feel the inexperience will hurt him.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 12-29-2006 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CM4
He stepped up when he had to last week...10 of 30 for 2 tds, you forgot that stat cutler....

that last drive had 3 key passes in it i believe. I feel that Rivers will be fine in the playoffs as long as SD is at home, but if they lose sunday for some odd reason to AZ and they haev to travel, i feel the inexperience will hurt him.

I have my reasons. Just you wait.

njx9 12-29-2006 07:51 PM

i'm a bit surprised no one has any idea why this was posted. fyi chris, if it devolves into what i believe it will, i'll have to lock it and direct people to the proper place for the responses. though you may want to add a poll so that you can back-reference it later.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 12-29-2006 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9
i'm a bit surprised no one has any idea why this was posted. fyi chris, if it devolves into what i believe it will, i'll have to lock it and direct people to the proper place for the responses. though you may want to add a poll so that you can back-reference it later.

I understand. And good idea with the poll btw.

toonsterwu 12-29-2006 08:05 PM

What's wrong with him? Nothing really. Media overhyped him a bit earlier. He'll go through the normal growing pains, as will Tony Romo, of young QB's, but he has a strong cast around him. That said, relative to 2007, how he plays may determine how far they can go, so Chargers fans are hoping he can step it up a bit.

12-29-2006 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisCybulski
Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9

I understand. And good idea with the poll btw.

I'm missing something.

draftguru151 12-29-2006 10:16 PM

:lol: Nice Chris. Mike Vick FTW

Mr. Stiller 12-29-2006 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChargerCohen
Believe it or not, it is not all his fault. Against KC he had a guy in his face almost every time he dropped back.

Seattle, well, what can you say, he was off on a bunch of passes. It was raining. He also had at least 5 drops; I counted at least 3 from Vincent Jackson and a couple more from LT and Lorenzo Neal. If he had been 15/30 with 2 tds, no ints, and the win, no one would be saying anything.

Keenan is playing hurt, and he's ancient. Parker has been out. Floyd is gone. Teams are double and tripling Gates. Jackson has been his only reliable target lately, and Jackson has had several very successful games now.

Hell, we just signed Az Hakim off the compost heap and everybody is wondering "Why is Rivers' play going south?" To quote Mencia, "dee dee dee."

They aren't winning "in spite of" Rivers. They could be doing a lot better if he was in the zone the entire game, but Rivers is going out and winning the games. 13 of them so far.

... Why can't it just be Rivers Fault he's not playing well, how come he gets a "It's everyone elses fault" Free Pass?

CC.SD 12-29-2006 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
Quote:

... Why can't it just be Rivers Fault he's not playing well, how come he gets a "It's everyone elses fault" Free Pass?

Because it's a team game?

Shiver 12-30-2006 01:43 AM

Quote:

It's the Quarterback who makes the receivers and O-Line better. If he was doing his job, those receivers would be performing at a much higher level. Dropped passes mean he throws too hard, and inaccurately. They can't be winning with him, because his completion percentage is so horrible.

cheesehead10790 12-30-2006 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver
Quote:

It's the Quarterback who makes the receivers and O-Line better. If he was doing his job, those receivers would be performing at a much higher level. Dropped passes mean he throws too hard, and inaccurately. They can't be winning with him, because his completion percentage is so horrible.

I cant STAND that excuse.These pussies are getting paid millions of dollars and are then guna complain that the QB is throwing too hard??? No. that not how it works. Shut your mouth and catch the damn ball. Its your one and only job and its not that hard to do it. :x

Anyways, Philip's #1 receiver is McCardell who is old and hasnt caught a TD all year. Lets be fair, if he had a good #1 receiver his numbers would be way up.

Mr. Stiller 12-30-2006 03:49 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller
Quote:

Because it's a team game?

Can everyone use that excuse?