Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   AFC West Division Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   9-7, is that all it will take? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13333)

NIN1984 09-27-2007 10:36 AM

9-7, is that all it will take?
 
Could some team go 9-7 and actually win the west? Is this realistic.

JK17 09-27-2007 10:44 AM

It's possible. I expect though, to be honest, that either the Chargers or the Bronocs should be able to reach the ten win mark. I know neither team has really indicated they can do it yet, but I do know SD got some of its toughest games out of the way arleady, and I know Denver is a good enough team it could hit double digits.

Although I wouldnt be surpised with 9-7, I feel like someone is bound to hit ten.

Average OT LB 09-27-2007 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK17 (Post 636747)
It's possible. I expect though, to be honest, that either the Chargers or the Bronocs should be able to reach the ten win mark. I know neither team has really indicated they can do it yet, but I do know SD got some of its toughest games out of the way arleady, and I know Denver is a good enough team it could hit double digits.

Although I wouldnt be surpised with 9-7, I feel like someone is bound to hit ten.

i completely agree.. the raiders and cheifs are so horrible that its going to be hard for one of these teams not to win 10 or more.. the broncos very quietly have put up outstanding pass defense numbers (albeit they have a bad run defense) which makes it seem very likely they can go the distance. They're team really is on the cuff of a ten win season- pending how productive jevon walker allows the team to be. The chargers will continue to have problems on defense until Cottrell is fired, there is a reason why he didnt havea job last year he just a bad coach.. they seriously need someone to step up and be a leader because the coach isnt a leader, the running back isnt a leader, and the linebacker is dedicated to bein quiet..

Komp 09-27-2007 11:01 PM

Yah the Chargers suddenly look vulnerable don't they? Their defense has gone from fierce tiger to whimpering kitten. Sort of like that tiger from He-Man.

T-RICH49 09-28-2007 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komp (Post 637645)
Yah the Chargers suddenly look vulnerable don't they? Their defense has gone from fierce tiger to whimpering kitten. Sort of like that tiger from He-Man.

leave it to Norv Turner to ruin a possible SB team

doingthisinsteadofwork 09-28-2007 06:59 PM

yeah thats all it will take.I see Denver winning it though with 10 wins.Oakland and SD will be battling it out for 2nd.

bearsfan_51 10-02-2007 10:53 AM

9? I say the Chiefs win it with 8.

BroadwayJoe10 10-02-2007 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Komp (Post 637645)
Yah the Chargers suddenly look vulnerable don't they? Their defense has gone from fierce tiger to whimpering kitten. Sort of like that tiger from He-Man.

hey man leave cringer out of this lol. ANd they really chose the worst names for those cartoons, i mean the cat's name when he turned big was battle cat;i mean cmon they might as well have named the two alter egos bi*ch cat and badass cat, but thats neither here nor there.

JK17 10-02-2007 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK17 (Post 636747)
It's possible. I expect though, to be honest, that either the Chargers or the Bronocs should be able to reach the ten win mark. I know neither team has really indicated they can do it yet, but I do know SD got some of its toughest games out of the way arleady, and I know Denver is a good enough team it could hit double digits.

Although I wouldnt be surpised with 9-7, I feel like someone is bound to hit ten.

I take back this statement. It won't be San Diego anyway who hits ten.

Komp 10-02-2007 06:14 PM

haha
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadwayJoe10 (Post 645898)
hey man leave cringer out of this lol. ANd they really chose the worst names for those cartoons, i mean the cat's name when he turned big was battle cat;i mean cmon they might as well have named the two alter egos bi*ch cat and badass cat, but thats neither here nor there.

Yah I think Man At Arms was pretty pissed with his name too...

doingthisinsteadofwork 10-03-2007 09:14 AM

oh come on njx its not a bad thing.

Average OT LB 10-03-2007 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 647542)
it might be the worst thing i can think of right now. hell on earth would be listening to raiders fans crowing about making the playoffs over denver AND san diego all off-season. especially after we still sweep you in the regular season. ugh.

its hard to point at one thing and say why not, but its still a near certainty that the raiders will not make the playoffs. They're officially no longer the laughing stock of the leauge, and have instead been upgraded towards the bottom half of the league.. regardless of how you see norv turner or the broncos, and depending how you see the cheifs, the raiders are still the 3rd best team in the division.

SubNoize 10-04-2007 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Average OT LB (Post 648208)
its hard to point at one thing and say why not, but its still a near certainty that the raiders will not make the playoffs. They're officially no longer the laughing stock of the leauge, and have instead been upgraded towards the bottom half of the league.. regardless of how you see norv turner or the broncos, and depending how you see the cheifs, the raiders are still the 3rd best team in the division.

Are you even watching the games? You made a comment earlier that makes me think that you've never even watched an AFC West game period. I guess we can allow teams to ride on their records from last year. The Chargers have easily played the worse of any team, and yet it seems you keep them near the top because everyone is waiting for them to "get it going." I hate to break it to you, but it's probably not coming. The play calling in SD is a joke, and the defense isn't playing anywhere near it's potential. You also put Denver above Oakland, which is reasonable, but with a simple timeout negated were talking about a 1-3 Denver and a 3-1 Oakland. If Oakland can get even a medicore effort out of thier pass game they'll be able to compete and win games in the division. The Chiefs are still a mystery to me, I can't tell if the wins are for real, as in did they win or did the other team lose. I have to admit, their defense is outplaying my expectations, and if they can clique offensively they have as good of a chance as anyone. I call the west even at this point for obvious reasons, but to label KC and OAK as the bottom 2 is ridiculous.

JK17 10-04-2007 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubNoize (Post 648421)
Are you even watching the games? You made a comment earlier that makes me think that you've never even watched an AFC West game period. I guess we can allow teams to ride on their records from last year. The Chargers have easily played the worse of any team, and yet it seems you keep them near the top because everyone is waiting for them to "get it going." I hate to break it to you, but it's probably not coming. The play calling in SD is a joke, and the defense isn't playing anywhere near it's potential. You also put Denver above Oakland, which is reasonable, but with a simple timeout negated were talking about a 1-3 Denver and a 3-1 Oakland. If Oakland can get even a medicore effort out of thier pass game they'll be able to compete and win games in the division. The Chiefs are still a mystery to me, I can't tell if the wins are for real, as in did they win or did the other team lose. I have to admit, their defense is outplaying my expectations, and if they can clique offensively they have as good of a chance as anyone. I call the west even at this point for obvious reasons, but to label KC and OAK as the bottom 2 is ridiculous.

And with a simple timeout not called, your team is 1-3 also. It's not that big of a deal, Denver didn't do anything wrong, and that game was lost.

Obviously San Diego has played bad this year, and obviously Denver is not as good as they were in years past. Both those teams are still better then the Raiders, no matter who we just blew a game too...who do you honestly think someone would rather face, San Diego or Oakland? We've played like **** there's no denying that. But jesus, your 2-2, we're 1-3. Its a whopping one game difference. It's not ridiuclous at all to label the two teams with the least talent as the bottom in the division.

Yes we lost to KC. I still think we're a better team. I know it doesn't mean anything if we don't show up on game day, but I still think we'd be considered the "better team" every single time that game is played.

I'm sorry, Oakland hasn't come that far yet...they're playing better, and again, I'll just repeat it so you don't think I'm acting like San Diego is still a great team, we are not a good team yet this year. But I still think most people would consider us the better team.

Could just be my opinion, but I don't think it is.

Edit: And for the record, I'm not knocking either KC or Oakland, both have surpassed what I expected, so far, but I still don't think they've taken over the top two spots, yet, no mattter how crappy we played so far.

Wyndham 10-04-2007 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK17 (Post 648613)
Yes we lost to KC. I still think we're a better team. I know it doesn't mean anything if we don't show up on game day, but I still think we'd be considered the "better team" every single time that game is played.

As long as you've got Norv Turner, I doubt it.

Talking heads and dopey fans can consider the Chargers whatever they want, but Sunday they were far from the better team, in their own house.

In Arrowhead, the Chargers might not stay within 20 of the Chiefs.

JK17 10-04-2007 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyndham (Post 648631)
As long as you've got Norv Turner, I doubt it.

Talking heads and dopey fans can consider the Chargers whatever they want, but Sunday they were far from the better team, in their own house.

In Arrowhead, the Chargers might not stay within 20 of the Chiefs.

I think your overreacting a whole lot now, but sure. I'll wait it out and if im wrong, im wrong, its not like I have much evidence to back my case so far...and I really hope your not considering me a "dopey fan" because I think a team with a much superior roster will find a way to win, even if through four games they haven't done so.

Wyndham 10-04-2007 11:26 AM

No one in particular; just the general masses that enjoy sucking off the Chargers' "most talented team in the world!!!111!!!" even in spite of major issues on the OL, at QB, WR and DB.

SubNoize 10-04-2007 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK17 (Post 648613)
And with a simple timeout not called, your team is 1-3 also. It's not that big of a deal, Denver didn't do anything wrong, and that game was lost.

I wasn't saying Denver did anything wrong, it's completely legal, I was stating that because it shows that Oakland played a supposed top team in the division and damn near won.

Quote:

Obviously San Diego has played bad this year, and obviously Denver is not as good as they were in years past. Both those teams are still better then the Raiders, no matter who we just blew a game too...who do you honestly think someone would rather face, San Diego or Oakland? We've played like **** there's no denying that. But jesus, your 2-2, we're 1-3. Its a whopping one game difference. It's not ridiuclous at all to label the two teams with the least talent as the bottom in the division.
Obviously SD has more talent on paper, but in the NFL paper tigers mean nothing, and the better teams find ways to wins with what they have, Oakland has done a better job at that THIS season. You say it's a one game difference, but the difference is a winning or losing record, and SD has a losing record at the moment nobody else in the divison does. It's ridiculous to rank teams by "Talent" instead of wins and losses, where has all that talent led SD this year? To a single win against a lowly Bears team and a division loss.

Quote:

Yes we lost to KC. I still think we're a better team. I know it doesn't mean anything if we don't show up on game day, but I still think we'd be considered the "better team" every single time that game is played.
I'm sure KC would rather take the W, than the "better team" label any day of the week, and good teams always show up on game day. that's a very poor excuse for your teams poorly executed gameplan.

Quote:

I'm sorry, Oakland hasn't come that far yet...they're playing better, and again, I'll just repeat it so you don't think I'm acting like San Diego is still a great team, we are not a good team yet this year. But I still think most people would consider us the better team.
I'm not saying Oakland is a sure fire playoff contender, or even a great team, but they're making strides, and I'd much rather people keep us under the radar and underestimate what we're doing. People can consider you the SB champs, but if we continue to win more games it'll be obvious who's the better team, same can be said if we tank it and you guys play up to potential with all your "Talent."



Quote:

Edit: And for the record, I'm not knocking either KC or Oakland, both have surpassed what I expected, so far, but I still don't think they've taken over the top two spots, yet, no mattter how crappy we played so far.
I actually said the west was even at this point, I don't think you can call one team the "TOP" team and the next the bottom. I think it ignorant to continue to label the same teams better because they supposedly have more talent than the other two., but somehow the "bottom" two continue to win games and compete big time against opponents in the division.

JK17 10-04-2007 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyndham (Post 648667)
No one in particular; just the general masses that enjoy sucking off the Chargers' "most talented team in the world!!!111!!!" even in spite of major issues on the OL, at QB, WR and DB.

Call me crazy, but I don't think any one's been praising the Chargers as of late...

And SubNoize, I don't want to quote and reply to every part of the the response, I don't disagree with most of it. I agree, results are more important then a supposed talent level, its just my belief that the teams with the better talent level will be able to win more frequently as the season progresses, but of course its entirely possible that I'm wrong on that.

EDIT: I just want to address this one part...

Quote:

Originally Posted by SubNoize (Post 648695)
I'm sure KC would rather take the W, than the "better team" label any day of the week, and good teams always show up on game day. that's a very poor excuse for your teams poorly executed gameplan.

Of course, It's better to win, then look good in a loss; better to be lucky then good. I'm not doubting they'd rather have the win then be the better team. We're not a better team then the Pats, but I'd much rather have the win then the "better team label" (not that we had either, just an example). I'm certainly not excusing the Loss, I've harped over and over and over again, how pathetic the motivation factor and playcalling was in that game. I've ranted for hours how sick it made me. The point I was just trying to make is what plays back into my original belief, that the "better team" will win more games by the end of the year. I still think we're a better team then KC despite the loss, and I think it'll show by the end of the year. But thats also becuase I have faith we'll outplay Norv's bad coaching. Now, that's a huge assumption on my part, because the guy has destroyed this team, but it's my belief, homerish or not, that we'll be able to do that.

That being said, we have accomplished, and at this current rate, will accomplish nothing unless we can turn it around, like I'm assuming we will.

SubNoize 10-04-2007 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK17 (Post 648763)
That being said, we have accomplished, and at this current rate, will accomplish nothing unless we can turn it around, like I'm assuming we will.

I hope that turn around begins this weekend against Denver, but for a lot of selfish reasons. I want SD to win because I don't want to be the team facing the Chargers off a 2 game divisional losing streak, even though Norv would never inspire or spark a flame, I think the players would finally step up against a team that they've had pretty good success against in the last few years. Also, if the Chargers were to win and the Chiefs lost, that would put the whole divsion at 2-3, with the Raiders having the possibilty to in week 6 go 3-2 if they beat SD and take a game on the division. Good luck this weekend.

Average OT LB 10-04-2007 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wyndham (Post 648631)
As long as you've got Norv Turner, I doubt it.

Talking heads and dopey fans can consider the Chargers whatever they want, but Sunday they were far from the better team, in their own house.

In Arrowhead, the Chargers might not stay within 20 of the Chiefs.


woooow the chargers might not stay within 20 of the cheifs???? thats just being a dopey fan. The ONLY reason you guys won the game, is because norv turner decided to take LT out of the game (6 carries 2nd half).. the game wasnt over by any means, but when you have the greatest running back in the league, the franchise's history, and arguably ever, and you just ignore him, your asking to lose.

the word that saves you is 'might' because it broadens the scope of the argument.. but if you were to switch that word to say.. definitely.. it just might be the dumbest comment of the year.

JK17 10-04-2007 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 649035)
i hear a sig bet.

I'll take that sig bet....if anyone is interested.

We've done nothing right this year, but wow within 20? New England beat us by 24, in New England, by scoring as the clock was winding down. You can't transfer a game like that and assume it will be the same, but wow.

We aren't that bad we lose by 20 to the Chiefs. Though we did come close.

Paranoidmoonduck 10-04-2007 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 647542)
it might be the worst thing i can think of right now. hell on earth would be listening to raiders fans crowing about making the playoffs over denver AND san diego all off-season. especially after we still sweep you in the regular season. ugh.

There's no way the Raiders take the west if Denver and San Diego both sweep them. They may look good now, but the schedule is about to get very very rough for Oakland.

I'd love a playoff berth, but I am far from optomistic.

SubNoize 10-04-2007 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JK17 (Post 649038)
I'll take that sig bet....if anyone is interested.

We've done nothing right this year, but wow within 20? New England beat us by 24, in New England, by scoring as the clock was winding down. You can't transfer a game like that and assume it will be the same, but wow.

We aren't that bad we lose by 20 to the Chiefs. Though we did come close.

I'd take that bet as a Raider's fan. There's no way the Chargers lose to the Chiefs by 20, the Chiefs have scored like 60 points all year, and that means that have to post at least a 3rd of their points and attempt to pitch a shut out, not likely no matter how poorly coached SD may be.

SubNoize 10-04-2007 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck (Post 649048)
There's no way the Raiders take the west if Denver and San Diego both sweep them. They may look good now, but the schedule is about to get very very rough for Oakland.

I'd love a playoff berth, but I am far from optomistic.

I thought the schedule was tough earlier in the year as well, but there's a lot of teams up ahead for Oak that just aren't playing very good ball at the moment such as SD and Chicago. I'm not saying Oakland is playoff bound by any means, but I think they're playing .500 ball at this point with the potential to be better if they get even a mediocre pass offense/defense.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:04 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.