Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Collins or Whitner? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1373)

eagleseye 02-03-2007 09:17 AM

Collins or Whitner?

Just curious to see who people are projecting to be more productive over the course of their careers.

02-03-2007 09:19 AM

I'd say Whitner.

jag 02-03-2007 09:22 AM

I like Collins athletic ability, so I'd go Collins.

bearsfan_51 02-03-2007 10:06 AM

Easily Whitner. Collins isn't as good as Packers fans believe. I thought this season would have shown that.

Not to mention Whitner is was a top 10 pick and Collins was a 2nd rounder. Obviously that doesn't always make or break, but it is an indication of what each player's cielings are.

comahan 02-03-2007 10:10 AM

Donte

remix 6 02-03-2007 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51
Easily Whitner. Collins isn't as good as Packers fans believe. I thought this season would have shown that.

Not to mention Whitner is was a top 10 pick and Collins was a 2nd rounder. Obviously that doesn't always make or break, but it is an indication of what each player's cielings are.

what difference does it make where u get picked? Steve Smith was a 2nd round WR..David Terrell was 8th overall pick

whos on a team right now and whos doing better? Exactly.

doesnt matter what round you get picked..hes asking whos going to be more productive and i'll go with Whitner b/c i've seen more of him..plays good in the box and hes a smart defender.

HawkeyeFan 02-03-2007 10:15 AM

Donte Whitner

bills_red 02-03-2007 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remix 6
Quote:

what difference does it make where u get picked? Steve Smith was a 2nd round WR..David Terrell was 8th overall pick

doesnt matter what round you get picked..hes asking whos going to be more productive and i'll go with Whitner b/c i've seen more of him..plays good in the box and hes a smart defender.

If you looked waht he said. "Obviously that doesn't always make or break."

keylime_5 02-03-2007 10:26 AM

I can see Whitner going to multiple pro bowls. Not sure that Collins will ever make 1

bearsfan_51 02-03-2007 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remix 6
Quote:

Who's doing better now? Whitner.

And yes, as the Bills fan pointed out, I already said that. Considering both are very new to the league, however, you still have to take ceiling into account. One could actually argue that Collins has a higher ceiling based on athletic ability, but I don't see it.

BuffaloDraftGeek 02-03-2007 10:36 AM

I like whitners versitility. He can line up at CB, he can play cover 2 (deep safeties), he can play in the box, and he play 1-deep, being the only deep safety, in a 4-4 scheme. Whitners also a playmaker with the ball in his hands. I haven't seen a lot of collins, but he wasn't impressive in the game against the bills.

doingthisinsteadofwork 02-03-2007 11:09 AM

Huff.

P-L 02-03-2007 11:13 AM

I'd wait until after next year to fairly judge them. While he was pretty good this year, Collins definately not the same player as he was last year. Whitner had the better 2006 season than Collins did. However, one could argue that Collins' rookie year was better than Whitner's rookie year. Everyone is saying Whitner because he had the better year, but if his play declines next year, it doesn't mean much.

Eaglez.Fan 02-03-2007 11:14 AM

I'd take Whitner. Collins is good but I'd like to see him improve in coverage.

My bro voted for Collins so I could't vote

P-L 02-03-2007 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglez.Fan

Who is your bro?

02-03-2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Huff.
Whitner outplayed him last year clearly.

Huff wasnt a bum though.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 02-03-2007 11:16 AM

Quote:

Are the same Packer fans who say Collins is awesome the same ones who say Woodson and Harris are awesome and their pass D only sucks because of bad safety play?

Cavalier17 02-03-2007 11:19 AM

Whitner was phenomenal as a Rookie, and I expect him to get better. Collins isn't bad, but I like Whitner a lot.

Vince Lombardi 02-03-2007 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChrisCybulski
Quote:

Are the same Packer fans who say Collins is awesome the same ones who say Woodson and Harris are awesome and their pass D only sucks because of bad safety play?

Strong safety was clearly our weak point in the secondary, Marquand Manuel was awful and really struggled to return from his injury.

The entire defense got off to a slow start of the season because of the youth and inexperience but they all really picked up their play the second half of the season.

Eaglez.Fan 02-03-2007 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patriots-Lions
Quote:

Originally Posted by Eaglez.Fan

Who is your bro?

He's a packers fan that goes on my account

AZ9er 02-03-2007 12:13 PM

Whit

yourfavestoner 02-03-2007 01:24 PM

Quote:

Quote:

:lol:

We had to hear all offseason about how Nick Collins and the rest of the current Packers are all sure fire Hall of Famers, but are just underrated right now. What did Collins do? Go out and stink the place up.

Empire 02-03-2007 01:34 PM

Collins went into a Sophomore slump that so many players in the NFL do. Like so many other NFL players, this wasn't a good season to judge Collins on. I think next year will be a much better indication of Collins potential.

As for Whitner, I wouldn't be too surprised or worried if his play slips next year. I'm sure he'll have a Sophomore slump too next year.

I think the jury is still out on this decision and went be able to tell the 2008-2009 season which player will be better.

dcarey20 02-03-2007 01:37 PM

Dawan Landry

ny10804 02-03-2007 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner
Quote:

Quote:

:lol:

We had to hear all offseason about how Nick Collins and the rest of the current Packers are all sure fire Hall of Famers, but are just underrated right now. What did Collins do? Go out and stink the place up.

You should ask Sexy Rexy about that.

But seriously, Collins has all the physical tools to be a very good player. He has the speed of a corner (4.37 at combine, 4.34 pro day) and decent strenght (11 reps of 225). He makes big hits and can make some terrific reads, but the main problems he faces are mental -- ie playing in the wrong coverages. Whether or not he can overcome his mental problems remains to be seen, but if he can, he'll be a pro bowl caliber player.