Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   AFC West Division Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=98)
-   -   Time for a change in Denver? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14319)

Splat 10-30-2007 09:15 AM

Time for a change in Denver?

First off I don't mean this to be a diss or a trash talk thread just a question?

Do you think it is time for a new HC to take over for Denver don't get me wrong I think MS is a great coach but I feel all teams need new blood after so long?

bored of education 10-30-2007 09:21 AM

I think MS is the best coach in the NFL over the past 15 years. best play caller, offensive and defense mind, intelligent, players like him, a proven winner and a good guy. But it may be time for new blood in their. Funny thing is MS is still awesome, but I'd like to see the NE Patriots OC there. MS owned the Pats the last few seasons.

Wyndham 10-30-2007 09:42 AM

Not at all. He's still a great COACH... even though he's had his off moments this season.

It's the constant personnel changes that is hurting the Broncos, along with Shanahan's offseason arrogance. That team has never been good enough to burn third-rounders on a guy like Clarrett and their other draft choices are shaky at best, outside of a few good picks (which most teams can at least accomplish). You make a good trade for Bly but you don't bring in any significant LB help because you think DJ Williams can actually play MLB (he'll never be a fit and never would've; he's an uninstinctive athlete). You find a nice receiver in Marshall but spend the house on a mediocre TE in Graham.

That team would be a Super Bowl contender with a decent GM and Shanahan simply coaching.

bored of education 10-30-2007 10:04 AM

Isint MS the GM?

Wyndham 10-30-2007 11:05 AM

Yeah, that's my point. Few coaches can craft the ship and sail it.

princefielder28 10-30-2007 11:24 AM

MS is still doing a great job in Denver. He just needs to have a consistently healthy roster that can develop some continuity. Travis Henry, Javon Walker, Tom Nalen all with injuries on the offense alone. Plus Marcus Thomas and John Lynch on defense last night.

brat316 10-30-2007 11:46 AM

Yeah MS is a great coach i think he is amazing, with his zone blocking. But the injuries are wat is taking the team down. Also yeah i think the Broncos need a GM, MS can't do it both some of his coaching decisions are questionable. Its obvious he likes to gamble on players, but not many of them turn out good, only the Rbs do, untill they leave Denver. Well besides Portis, becuase i just love that guy as rb.

Geo 10-30-2007 11:55 AM

This isn't new, Shanny the Rat Devil has long been a great coach but a poor GM. His fleecing of idiot/bottom feeder NFC teams in trades has been tremendous in helping make up for the latter.

JK17 10-30-2007 08:26 PM

http://fireshanahan.com/

Ask this guy what he thinks...

brat316 10-31-2007 09:55 AM

I thought Injuries was the biggest problem along the line.

LB draft a real MLB
DB A+ there
WR Injuries but the backups are making the most of it
RB- any rb works pretty much

The only spots where i see you need talent is the Linemen both sides. Rb sure, but MS can make do with pretty much and RB. And LBs, so that may be a reason for so many yrds allowed. But you do have a good pass rush, you just need some fat guys up front.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 10-31-2007 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bhaarat316 (Post 701281)
I thought Injuries was the biggest problem along the line.

LB draft a real MLB
DB A+ there
WR Injuries but the backups are making the most of it
RB- any rb works pretty much

The only spots where i see you need talent is the Linemen both sides. Rb sure, but MS can make do with pretty much and RB. And LBs, so that may be a reason for so many yrds allowed. But you do have a good pass rush, you just need some fat guys up front.

LB We just basically need to get rid of Gold. DJ would be a great WLB, and I'm sure Webster is a better MLB than DJ.

DB, we get a C. CBs are A+, Ss are Fs.

Our 06 class was amazing though. We got Cutler, Marshall, Scheff and Dumervil. That is a class of 4 guys who have already made a solid impact on the NFL, and I think it's within the definite realm of possibility that all 4 of them become pro bowlers at some point in their careers.

But njx summed it up nicely, play calling has been awful(though improved the last few games, especially in the redzone), and the defense has reeked. Our offense SHOULD be much better, and I expect it to with the return of Walker.

brat316 10-31-2007 06:51 PM

Yeha, i hear MS won't simplifiy the play calling for Cutler, he just wants him to learn, on the fly.

D do you think a new D coordinator is needed

ripdw27 11-01-2007 06:19 PM

just something that popped into my head but -

im pretty sure shanny will change his ways either later in the year or next season. obviosly what he is doing is not working, how are we really supposed to get any pressure on the quarterback with our 4 d lineman, our weakest point on the d. a mlb is much needed so we kick dj back outside. safety is also highly needed but lb should be the top priority. in a few years our d line will be solid, we got 3 rookies and a one year pro. i think weve got great potential there.

now on offense, i think we need some lineman, i would prefer get someone with experience via trade or fa. nalen lepsis and hamilton are all over 30, plus our right side isnt the greates either. at tight end i would rather see scheffler start and have graham come in on goaline to block, we run a lot of multiple tes anyway. WR we are set, we have our dominant playmaker in Walker whenever he returns, a young marshall on the other side and Brandon slot machine stokley. throw in cutler and henry in the backfield and our O has some scary good potential. whether we achieve that potential will be determined by our o line play/playcalling.

all in all i think we dont have a lot of holes, but the ones we do are pretty huge. (S,LB,OL) i would like to get a rg or rt in free agents, and then draft some future starters at C and LT. id like to see our draft go something like this:

1.lb
2.fs
3.c
4.lt

urinemonkey 11-01-2007 06:57 PM

Shanahan's gotten stale. It's time to throw some fresh meat in there. Maybe there's a hot young coordinator wanting to make the jump to the head coaching ranks. No college coaches please, they fail miserably in the pros generally speaking.

Splat 11-02-2007 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by urinemonkey (Post 703252)
Shanahan's gotten stale.

That is pretty much my take on the matter I'm not dissing MS just think the players have heard the same messege to long time for a change.

Diehard 11-02-2007 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by njx9 (Post 702469)
it seems clear to me that our problems stem entirely from shanahan right now. he doesn't want us blitzing, so we don't. he can't call a play at the goalline, so we run it up the middle every single time.

I agree. Seems to me like he's trying not to lose, rather than going for the win. He used to call a pretty good game, particularly on the offensive side of the ball. Now he seems reluctant to open things up - which is particularly frustrating when the passing game is the obvious (only?) strength of this team.

Geo 11-06-2007 10:03 AM

I think you actually have to try to attempt to run the ball or maybe even (gasp) attempt short passes to your backs for that to be the case. I don't buy it.

Average OT LB 11-11-2007 08:58 PM

THis is just very silly i would absolutely love it, as a charger fan, for shanahan not to be coaching ... perhaps hes not the leading the greatest team right now.. but not by any means should he be replaced..

jth1331 11-14-2007 01:53 PM

Anyone else surprised the offense went to the crapper when Kubiak left? Thats the biggest problem IMO, the Broncos can't score!
Of course, the biggest position need is DT, but the offense needs to get on track and put up more points.