Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Home Bar (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14648)

Moses 11-08-2007 12:10 AM

Home Bar

Hey all,

I'm going to go liquor shopping tommorow so I can setup a little home bar. Just want to get some insight from you guys.

Here's my shopping list right now:

Spirits
-Whiskey
-Gin
-Clear Rum
-Vodka
-Over-Proof Rum (Bacardi 151)
-Jagermeister
-Goldschlager
-95% Alcohol

Other
-7 UP
-Coke
-Ginger Ale
-Red Bull
-Gatorade

Anything else I should consider for your favourite mixed drinks or shots?

Also, what brands should I get? I don't know much about hard liquor but nothing too expensive.

Borat 11-08-2007 12:48 AM

If your bar doesn't have a freezer, then you should skip the Jager. It's meant to be served cold.

DChess 11-08-2007 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Borat Sagdiyev (Post 715612)
If your bar doesn't have a freezer, then you should skip the Jager. It's meant to be served cold.

i have some in mr freezer right now

get things that are easy to mix. get some three olives vodka, either straight or cherry bombs are good.

bombay gin is somewhat exspenisve but it is really good. also get some capt morgans

Chaucer 11-08-2007 01:02 AM

Johnnie Walker Blue for whiskey if you want the E-rep your looking for from 13 year olds.

Ward 11-08-2007 01:26 AM

No tequila?

Moses 11-08-2007 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ward (Post 715624)
No tequila?

Not a huge fan but might have to include it. There's been too many nights where my last memory was a few ill-advised tequilla shots.

Is tequilla good in any mixed drinks? I've only done it in straight shots?

dabears10 11-08-2007 02:00 AM

Crown Royal. Then Apple Pucker and I think Cranberry juice. Washington Apples are delicious.

I also like Apple Bombs so Bacardi apple.

I would get rid of Goldschlager. Who wants that?

KCJ58 11-08-2007 02:07 AM

purchase a kegarator

critesy 11-08-2007 02:43 AM

deffffinetly bombay gin. im on a roll with that stuff now, its love to me.

Don Vito 11-08-2007 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 715628)
Is tequilla good in any mixed drinks? I've only done it in straight shots?

The margherita my man. They are womanly but pretty damn good.

No bar is complete without a bottle of Jack, but all of the things you get depend on your budget. I have been drinking keystone or evan williams whiskey every night at school, aside from hunch punch, purple drank, or the occasional bud/coors treat. You should get a mini fridge/freezer for your jager and beer.

brat316 11-08-2007 02:53 AM

Gin and Juice

Cranberry Juice

Captian Morgan seems popular,

SuperKevin 11-08-2007 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabears10 (Post 715634)
I would get rid of Goldschlager. Who wants that?

I love goldschlager. Especially mixed with Jagermeister

dabears10 11-08-2007 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperKevin (Post 715668)
I love goldschlager. Especially mixed with Jagermeister

Rather just have the Jager straight.

Freddy G 11-08-2007 09:52 AM

Vodka....lots and lots of cheap vodka....with maybe a bottle or two of the "good stuff" in case James Bond shows up.

RyanLeaf#1 11-08-2007 09:57 AM

Grey Goose Orange and Red Bull. Its rediculously good. And if your getting whiskey Tullamore Dew is the way to go.

jared 11-08-2007 10:24 AM

Setting up home bars is expensive. But if you're hell bent on having lots of people come over and drink your booze, just give them a couple simple options that appeal to the masses i.e. vodka & some energy drink, Captain Morgan & Coke, or some of that coconut Parrot Bay garbage that girls seem to like. Otherwise, stock your bar with the ingredients to make cocktails YOU like. I'd steer clear of the 151 and things of that nature personally. At home you have a tendency to overpour your drinks which becomes exponentially more hazardous with that strong of liquor. It also tends to shorten the night and increase the liklihood that you'll wake up in the bathtub.
Unless it's just for me or for special occasions, I never buy a fifth of anything that costs more than 20$.

JF4 11-08-2007 10:38 AM

For Whisky go with Canadian Club. It's cheap but it's also Canadian and pretty darn tasty with a coke and a lemon/lime. Crown Royal is a good choice too.

Captain Morgan's white rum is a good clear rum. Nice and sweet.

For Vodka you can get a few cheap bottles but you definately have to have the Grey Goose. The taste of that over a cheap bottle is very noticeable. I like to mix my vodka with OJ, Coke, Red Bull, tomato juice (i don't care what anyone says tomato juice is the ****)

Jughead10 11-08-2007 10:47 AM

You'd probably want to get cranberry juice and sour mix. I'd say those are two very popular mixers when it comes to making different drinks.

When it comes to what type of liquor you wanna get, depends how pricy you wants.

Jack or Crown for Whiskey. Or Jameson. If I was starting a serious bar I'd have all three.

Vodka, Smirnoff is probably the best bang for you buck. Pretty decent vodka that is rather inexpensive.

Rum, I'd stick with Bacardi, pretty standard.

Gin, I'm not a gin drinker. Tanqueray I guess.

RyanLeaf#1 11-08-2007 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 715823)
You'd probably want to get cranberry juice and sour mix. I'd say those are two very popular mixers when it comes to making different drinks.

Cranberry juice is definitely a must good call.

Turtlepower 11-08-2007 10:57 AM

Grenadine is never a bad idea as well.

Jughead10 11-08-2007 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Turtlepower (Post 715830)
Grenadine is never a bad idea as well.

Good call. As is lime juice. You can pick up a bottle of Rose's. They make both of these. Of course if you get lime juice, you should get SoCo also.

RyanLeaf#1 11-08-2007 11:07 AM

A bottle of Baileys is also nice to have around.

Nerv 11-08-2007 11:34 AM

If youre looking to make mixed drinks pick up some kahlua (or other type of coffee liquor) as well as some half & half cream, mix it with the vodka and have some white russians, best mixed drink known to man.

Smirnoff & Skyy are two good intermediately priced vodka's, Skyy & Mountain Dew mix pretty well. For whiskey you can just roll with one of the 3 wisemen Jack D, Johnny W, or Jim B. Seagrams VO is a whiskey I personally enjoy. Seagrams also makes gin, I believe that is the Seagrams 7.

Ward 11-08-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 715855)
If youre looking to make mixed drinks pick up some kahlua (or other type of coffee liquor) as well as some half & half cream, mix it with the vodka and have some white russians, best mixed drink known to man.

Smirnoff & Skyy are two good intermediately priced vodka's, Skyy & Mountain Dew mix pretty well. For whiskey you can just roll with one of the 3 wisemen Jack D, Johnny W, or Jim B. Seagrams VO is a whiskey I personally enjoy. Seagrams also makes gin, I believe that is the Seagrams 7.

7 is whiskey as well, but it's mostly meant to be a whiskey you mix. Hence the 7 & 7 (Up). If you want a cheaper whiskey that IMO tastes great, Evan Williams is the way to go.

Turtlepower 11-08-2007 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nerv (Post 715855)

On that note, girls love mudslides.