Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Scholarship (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14733)

HoopsDemon12 11-10-2007 08:04 PM

Scholarship

Wow today i got a scholarship offer from Lakeland college in Alberta.. this is weird for me cause i have never considered myself being very good at anyhting. Im pumped though, My coach says a couple other schools have talked to him about me to.. im kinda hoping they are better schools than lakeland but its still cool. Highschool has not started yet but in my community and mens leagues im averaging 23 and 19 points respectivly. Just felt like telling you guys cause im super jacked!!

jballa838 11-10-2007 08:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoopsDemon12 (Post 720041)
Wow today i got a scholarship offer from Lakeland college in Alberta.. this is weird for me cause i have never considered myself being very good at anyhting. Im pumped though, My coach says a couple other schools have talked to him about me to.. im kinda hoping they are better schools than lakeland but its still cool. Highschool has not started yet but in my community and mens leagues im averaging 23 and 19 points respectivly. Just felt like telling you guys cause im super jacked!!

thats sick dude. i am working hard so i can have a good senior football year and walk on somewhere if i have to.

neko4 11-10-2007 08:10 PM

Not sure who those colleges are but getting to play Ball (basket?) anywhere would be cool

HoopsDemon12 11-10-2007 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by neko4 (Post 720056)
Not sure who those colleges are but getting to play Ball (basket?) anywhere would be cool

Ya its basketball... and ya thats my thinking.. my freinds are like ooo big time colleges. I mean come on its still a cool experiance, especialyl since i wont have to pay as much of the tution out of my own pocket. I laugh though cause none of them got any.

On my team though there is the big three and we all have offers... then there is a rank drop off... if only we had some gaurds worthy of even being considered.. we would be a good team.

Bills2083 11-10-2007 08:50 PM

good luck playing basketball there, if you do. You need to keep us updated on how you're doing during the season.

NYGibril28 11-10-2007 09:24 PM

We'll see you on the Canadian National Team in no time

KILLERSANTA 11-10-2007 09:26 PM

That's better than nothing. I'm going to walk on somewhere and pay full price. :(

God I wish I didn't quit playing sports in high school. But I had to get a job to make money......

cardsalltheway 11-10-2007 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KILLERSANTA (Post 720267)
That's better than nothing. I'm going to walk on somewhere and pay full price. :(

God I wish I didn't quit playing sports in high school. But I had to get a job to make money......

Damn those hookers and their high prices

Hines 11-10-2007 10:34 PM

good job..bball season hasnt even started, so u still got time

ripdw27 11-11-2007 09:32 AM

we have a pretty big basketball school to, went to state semifinals last year. JP Gavinkski (#44 Wisconsin Badgers) went to my hs 2 years ago to.

anyway congrats man

fischbowl 11-11-2007 11:20 AM

I could walk-on for baseball at Duquesne

HoopsDemon12 11-11-2007 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYGibril28 (Post 720259)
We'll see you on the Canadian National Team in no time

haha oh hell no.. im no where near that good... my shot would have to increase ten fold and my dribbling would have to be a lot better for that. We have extreme talent up here.. they just all live in vancouver or toronto

Moses 11-11-2007 01:18 PM

What's the story with athletic scholarships in Canada? I know in Ontario when I was going into school they weren't allowed.

HoopsDemon12 11-11-2007 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 721396)
What's the story with athletic scholarships in Canada? I know in Ontario when I was going into school they weren't allowed.

Im not sure what schools can and cant.. like my freind also got scouted and offered a scholarship... and hers was for a full ride aswell.. maybe its CIS rules for bigger colleges? im not to sure, but this one would be my schooling paid for.. maybe things changed?

sweetness34 11-11-2007 02:49 PM

I was on scholarship at Heartland Community College for Soccer this season. It was pretty sweet to go to school for free.

iowatreat54 11-11-2007 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetness34 (Post 721840)
I was on scholarship at Heartland Community College for Soccer this season. It was pretty sweet to go to school for free.

I didn't think you can get an athletic scholly for CCs...

sweetness34 11-11-2007 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowatreat54 (Post 721883)
I didn't think you can get an athletic scholly for CCs...

Well I did....And hoopsdemon just got one too.

iowatreat54 11-11-2007 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetness34 (Post 721905)
Well I did....And hoopsdemon just got one too.

Oh, well fair enough I didn't know you could...and he's in Canada idk if the rules are the same as here and Lakeland College isn't a CC in Alberta I don't believe...

sweetness34 11-11-2007 03:18 PM

Haha well I didn't have to pay a dime for tuition this semester, and the same for next semester so yea, I think I got a scholarship. I did have to pay for books and stuff though....

gbpackers0065 11-11-2007 03:23 PM

Congrats Man!
I remember when I got my first offer for Basketball. I think mine was a little better, lol. But seriously, pick a school for the school not for the team.

iowatreat54 11-11-2007 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sweetness34 (Post 722044)
Haha well I didn't have to pay a dime for tuition this semester, and the same for next semester so yea, I think I got a scholarship. I did have to pay for books and stuff though....

right which is sweet, I wish I could be on a full scholarship...but I just didn't think that a CC could give an athletic scholly while a D3 can't...but maybe I'm wrong...are you sure it wasn't academic related? sorry if I seem like a dick but I was like 99% positive about this before today lol

Billingsley26 11-11-2007 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowatreat54 (Post 721927)
Oh, well fair enough I didn't know you could...and he's in Canada idk if the rules are the same as here and Lakeland College isn't a CC in Alberta I don't believe...

Well, colleges in Canada aren't called community colleges, but it is the same idea. You usually go for anywhere from 1-3 years, and I think walk away with an Associats Degree. I think that is what it is like in western Canada, cuz that is how it is on Ontario.

Billingsley26 11-11-2007 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moses (Post 721396)

Many schools in Canada now (not Ontario) can offer scholarships. Ontario just started 2 years ago. But to obtain one from an Ontario school you need great marks. Im thinking like higher than an 80% to get any money. If you go out west or east, they can offer anything from small grants to full rides. I know people who have full rides to Manitboa, UBC, Concordia, Bishops and St. FX.

A lot of people overlook playing football in Canada, but in reality, alot of kids from the states could make big scholorships. I would reccomend it to anyone who knows they won't go D1 or D1AA. The CIS (Canadian Interuniverstiy Sports) is probably about a D2 level (some schools are far below i.e Toronto) and many can offer Full Scholorships. I can also say that coaches from CIS schools LOVE American football players. Obviously the game is different, but it is football. And you would be getting a free ride and a great education.

If anyone is interested in talking to CIS schools, let me know, I have many connections with schools all across the country.

HoopsDemon12 11-11-2007 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gbpackers0065 (Post 722085)
Congrats Man!
I remember when I got my first offer for Basketball. I think mine was a little better, lol. But seriously, pick a school for the school not for the team.

Ya thats why im hoping these other schools are a little more acedemically where i wanan be. I dont know who they are yet but they have been talking to my coach. I want to go into teaching, so if i could get a degree in education as a back up plan to fire fighting i would be happy. Just playing competitive ball after highscool is a cool thought for me.

Moses 11-11-2007 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HoopsDemon12 (Post 722465)
Ya thats why im hoping these other schools are a little more acedemically where i wanan be. I dont know who they are yet but they have been talking to my coach. I want to go into teaching, so if i could get a degree in education as a back up plan to fire fighting i would be happy. Just playing competitive ball after highscool is a cool thought for me.

Why go to college if you want to be a teacher?