Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Corey Dillion To Retire (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1742)

Flyboy 02-22-2007 10:26 PM

Corey Dillion To Retire

http://www.boston.com/sports/footbal...call_it_quits/

Didn't see that one coming.

255979119 02-22-2007 10:27 PM

....he had one good year for us.

At least it was a "super" year.

ninerfan 02-22-2007 10:29 PM

Thats a shame. He's a very good player and teamed with Maroney - the Pats had a great chance of a SB season

Don Vito 02-22-2007 10:30 PM

He was declining but did great things in his time in New England. Now we need a power back.

remix 6 02-22-2007 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 255979119

wow more respect man come on..he played hurt..he was the toughest SOB to step on Gillette Stadium last few years

i respect his decision. You never want to try and comeback and possibly get hurt which can hurt your future and what u do. I have the world of respect for Corey as a player and person..hes a tough guy..battled through injuries, stayed strong and i will miss his stiff arm and mean streak. Its a shame he wont be a Patriot or player anymore but i hope hes happy and succesfull with what he does from here on out. Hes helped us tremendously..individual players..helped the team..helped the organization. he def. deserves HOF and i'll root for him

Finlayson56 02-22-2007 10:32 PM

jumping on the tiki bandwagon

255979119 02-22-2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by remix 6
Quote:

Originally Posted by 255979119

wow more respect man come on..he played hurt..he was the toughest SOB to step on Gillette Stadium last few years

i respect his decision. You never want to try and comeback and possibly get hurt which can hurt your future and what u do. I have the world of respect for Corey as a player and person..hes a tough guy..battled through injuries, stayed strong and i will miss his stiff arm and mean streak. Its a shame he wont be a Patriot or player anymore but i hope hes happy and succesfull with what he does from here on out. Hes helped us tremendously..individual players..helped the team..helped the organization. he def. deserves HOF and i'll root for him

I am not saying I do not respect the man, I do. I just believe he was more of a role player the last two seasons.

CC.SD 02-22-2007 10:36 PM

I love Corey Dillon; probably my favorite runner to watch of the last five years, aside from LT of course. Guy just barrelled through tacklers.

Vince Lombardi 02-22-2007 10:39 PM

Good for him. I'm glad that NFL players are starting to realize that it's not in their best interest to play as long as they can and risk their health after football. Unfortunately, this lesson was learned the hard way by many of their predecessors who are basically crippled now that they are getting to be middle aged or elderly. A football career is very short, you need to be able to live a healthy life for a lot longer after it's over. It's definately a smart move for him, he has nothing left to prove.

toonsterwu 02-22-2007 11:10 PM

If they can land a LB in FA (namely, Adalius Thomas), I can definitely see them taking a long look at Brian Leonard in the first (if Leonard runs a good time) or 2nd. I could see them look Tony Hunt if he falls there in the 2nd. I could see them taking a look at Brandon Jackson, although they'll probably prefer a bigger, more physical back. Dwayne Wright could be an intriguing option.

Jay 02-22-2007 11:16 PM

So that frees up, what, another five mil on the cap?

Definitely sad to see Clock Killin Corey Dillon go. He was great while we had him.

PalmerToCJ 02-22-2007 11:18 PM

I've gotta say, sometimes he came off as a prick but he made every game for the Bengals while he was here more exciting (despite all the losing). I was going insane when he had the (at the time) rushing yards per game title and was just killing people running through tackles. I was there when he got the rookie record vs. the Oilers as well. I don't even want to know how bad we would've been without him.

But then you had the times like when the Ravens were slaughtering us and he pulled himself out of the game and refused to come back in. Then his last game at Cincinnati he threw his pads/jersey into the stands and said something along the lines of "I'm outta here". I had mixed emotions when he won the SB but without him during our horrible years I can't even imagine how bad things would've been.

TCU 02-22-2007 11:18 PM

good i hate dillion and maroney is real tight

GiantRutgersFan 02-22-2007 11:23 PM

Well good for him. I imagine that if I won a Superbowl and was starting to decline I would retire sooner rather then later. Although I think he should have been upfront about it and not have signed a 5 year extension last year if he wasnt intending on fulfilling hardly any of it.

But best of luck to him

Jay 02-22-2007 11:24 PM

I don't think he expected his body to react the way it did...

EdReedUnstoppable 02-22-2007 11:24 PM

I lost alot of respect for him when he walked off the field against the Ravens in 2000 and wouldnt go back in...........um..........bye.

DHVF 02-22-2007 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay
I don't think he expected his body to react the way it did...

That's what she said.

PalmerToCJ 02-22-2007 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EdReedUnstoppable
I lost alot of respect for him when he walked off the field against the Ravens in 2000 and wouldnt go back in...........um..........bye.

Hey, me too :lol:

Scapegrace 02-22-2007 11:31 PM

Well, by asking to be released, it would mean he could sign with another team and play in 2007. I'm not sure why else he would ask to be released.

RaiderNation 02-22-2007 11:36 PM

sucks to see him go. he was great in his prime

swagger 02-22-2007 11:42 PM

Maroney is in store for a big yr!

diabsoule 02-22-2007 11:45 PM

I didn't see his retirement coming. I thought he'd play for a few more years.

ckr50702 02-22-2007 11:56 PM

Oh well. Gotta quit sometime. And for runningback, that's pretty soon.

IndyColtScout 02-22-2007 11:57 PM

It's a smart move & he's already won a championship & rushed for over a 1,000 yards in a season. What's left to do? Rush for 2,000? I'de retire too.

Maroney is a beast anyways.

KCJ58 02-22-2007 11:59 PM

I liked Corey Dillon on the Bengals but when he went to New England i hated him