Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   I Admit It, I Was Wrong About Matt Ryan (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25812)

bigbluedefense 10-06-2008 01:48 PM

I Admit It, I Was Wrong About Matt Ryan

who's coming with me?

i don't care about stats. i don't care about his completion percentage, his ints, any of that. you can spot talent. Matt Ryan has it. he actually reminds me an awful lot of Eli Manning. he's a mix of Eli and Ben, for better or for worse.

he's going to be a very good qb. i was wrong. i thought he'd suck. and im willing to jump on his bandwagon already. ive seen enough to proclaim him as legit.

hobbes2053 10-06-2008 02:00 PM

Ryan = semi-legit. He's not quite to peak legitness, but he's on his way. I'll reassess at season's end.

MarioPalmer 10-06-2008 02:08 PM

I was loving him from the beginning of his senior season, but I admit that in his junior season I hated him. But he looks special guys, I mean he really looks good and he will only get better when that offense gets a little more experience and chemistry.

Flyboy 10-06-2008 02:09 PM

I had my reservations about him and wasn't sold on Atlanta taking him over Glenn Dorsey or at #3. With that said, he's legit.

Too bad he's in the NFC South. :(

illmatic74 10-06-2008 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1246350)
who's coming with me?

i don't care about stats. i don't care about his completion percentage, his ints, any of that. you can spot talent. Matt Ryan has it. he actually reminds me an awful lot of Eli Manning. he's a mix of Eli and Ben, for better or for worse.

he's going to be a very good qb. i was wrong. i thought he'd suck. and im willing to jump on his bandwagon already. ive seen enough to proclaim him as legit.

Admittance is the first step

bigbluedefense 10-06-2008 02:11 PM

i like his mental ability. to me thats the first and foremost thing when it comes to qbs. can they read defenses? ryan is doing a better job of it than i initially expected.

my concerns with him have always been his physical attributes and at times decision making, but it seems that i have exaggerated them. he can throw the ball fine, he just needs to work on mechanics to get crisper throws going, which he will with time.

he's still throwing INTs, but he'll learn with time. i don't think any of us other than diehard Ryan fans expected him to play as well as he has thus far. Ryan is showing me alot these past 5 games.

vidae 10-06-2008 02:11 PM

He's not bad. I'm not sure I'm quite on the band wagon yet, but I do think that given the proper time to develop he'll be a very good quarterback. NFC South opponents should be worried.

Shane P. Hallam 10-06-2008 02:11 PM

I did pick him to win OROY, I thought he'd be legit. I think it is more leadership rather than pure talent, but I do LOVE that Eli comparison.

bigbluedefense 10-06-2008 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboy (Post 1246373)
I had my reservations about him and wasn't sold on Atlanta taking him over Glenn Dorsey or at #3. With that said, he's legit.

Too bad he's in the NFC South. :(

i initially laughed at the fact that they passed on Dorsey for Ryan. i thought it was one of the biggest bonehead moves Ive seen since following the draft (ive only followed the draft for like 3 years now, i was never really a big college football fan).

If he develops into a franchise qb, they will be the ones laughing. And right now, they are.

I did love the Sam Baker pick though.

RedLionAle 10-06-2008 02:14 PM

I wasn't sold on Ryan being a top QB going into the draft, but so far he has shown that he's got what it takes to be a solid, if not very good starter in the NFL.

Of course, I'm still reserving final judgment for now. We're only a part of the way through his rookie year, so I'm not ready to anoint him a good quarterback, yet.

I guess what I'm saying is that while I'm not sold on him quite yet, I'll very willing to recognize that he's showing great promise in Atlanta right now.

regoob2 10-06-2008 02:15 PM

I don't have to admit it seeing how I really liked him out of BC! :D

LonghornsLegend 10-06-2008 02:17 PM

I admit i thought they would regret passing on Dorsey, but I'm sold on Ryan, he looks poised and is a gamer, he's not even scratched the surface on what he an do but you see them opening up the playbook way more then most rookie QB's...The future is bright for the big 3 in ATL period.

DeathbyStat 10-06-2008 02:27 PM

I said he would be a solid player but not a super star or elite franchise guy...and I stick by that

abaddon41_80 10-06-2008 02:33 PM

I thought he would be a good QB, maybe make a Pro Bowl or two, but never live up to the #3 overall status. I stick by that as of right now but he has certainly exceeded my expectations.

FlyingElvis 10-06-2008 02:51 PM

I liked him coming in, but felt Atl was strecthing by using the #3 pick to get Matty Ice. More because I did not think the Falcons had enough talent to help him look better than the average "thrown into the fire" rookie QB. But he did alot with a little in college and always looked poised and in control.

He already looks like he'll live up to that # 3 pick to me, but I suppose that is subjective since, for me, that means he's going to be a decent QB and can hold the starting job for years to come. He won't be Peyton-like, but anyone who expected that was an idiot.

What he has shown me is the 'experts' were right when they stated Ryan was far above all the other QB prospects coming out. Though Flacco looks to be a small school stud who will, over time, be better than the other QBs drafted round 2 or later.

NY+Giants=NYG 10-06-2008 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1246350)
who's coming with me?

Still need more body of work. Good to see him do well, but still I am a patient guy, so I will sit and wait for 2-4 years and see what happens.

diabsoule 10-06-2008 02:54 PM

I definitely am eating crow about Matt Ryan. I wasn't that impressed with him in college. I thought he was too much of a gunslinger and made too many mental mistakes.

Now, though, it looks like Atlanta's FO knew what they were doing and as long as they continue to add weapons on offense (a TE for starters) they will be competitive for a good while.

Gay Ork Wang 10-06-2008 03:07 PM

Atlantas new GM = awesome

giantsfan 10-06-2008 03:08 PM

Ryan just has that something where you fell comfortable with him undercenter when the games on the line. That's really what you want out of a franchise QB and I think Atlanta will be a consistent playoff team once they finish rebulding that Oline boost their dline and add some more youth to the ir defensive secondary.

21ST 10-06-2008 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang (Post 1246457)
Atlantas new GM = awesome

oh god

what game was he talking about in reference to you sig

D-Unit 10-06-2008 03:14 PM

Was a big critic. Still not totally convinced. But he's making a case for himself.

He could be Matt Schaub all over again. Look how overrated he was.

Gay Ork Wang 10-06-2008 03:15 PM

Seattle game...

Don Vito 10-06-2008 03:20 PM

He has looked very good for a rookie in his situation. Rookie QBs tend to struggle, especially when they have to contribute immediately for a team coming off a very bad season. Ryan has looked solid and I have always beem a fan of his since he was at BC, he will be a very solid player in this league.

21ST 10-06-2008 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang (Post 1246469)
Seattle game...

lol well damn

About Matt Ryan, im not sure if i am quite ready to belive in him but he is really doing all the right things at the moment

ATLDirtyBirds 10-06-2008 03:30 PM

I wasn't a fan at all initially. Too many INTs and didn't have a big arm. Can't say I was in love with that. He's been very good so far though. Tampa ate him alive the first half, and he's made a couple stupid mistakes. His INT yesterday was pretty bad, but it's tough to tell he's a rookie. He can make every throw you need. He grows on me every week. Not to mention, the man can move a little. He's not Vick, but he's got good escapability. Right now, my problem with him would be...

He panics under pressure from defense (Not the pressure of a close game late. His mistakes for the most part are when he tries to do something too fast.)

Otherwise, it is hard not to be impressed. Also, I laugh in your direction members of the "They shouldn't play Ryan. Just let him learn the playbook because he's going to get killed back there and be Joey Harrington all over. It's not like your going to win this season."