Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Is Roddy White in the top tier of WRs? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=25998)

Number 10 10-13-2008 08:47 AM

Is Roddy White in the top tier of WRs?

I was hesitant to rave about him after last year because he essentially had a second half run much like Chris Chambers did a couple years ago with the Dolphins.

But now that I have gotten to see him play the past 4 weeks, he can physically match up with the top WRs in the game. He has the ability to seaparate from any CB in the league and his hands are glue downfield. He was considered a raw project when he came into the game and now that he has refined his route running and plan to defeat the press coverage, he is lethal. He is not just a downfield threat either, he is dangerous on 3rd downs when the chains need to be moved.

While he may not be in the Terrell Owens-Randy Moss tier yet, he could be there by season's end. I think he is right behind them ahead of the likes of Edwards, Burress, Johnson, Housh. Where do you rank him?

bigbluedefense 10-13-2008 08:51 AM

top 10 for sure.

The numbers don't lie, he's doing great with no help. I need to see more games on him though, I don't know him that well.

Number 10 10-13-2008 08:54 AM

I just watched the Falcons game, he really lacks a glaring weakness. He is one of the most explosive WRs off the line I have seen and he gets separation right off the bat, it's amazing. Downfield he can jump and catch over anybody. Short and intermediate he is tough over the middle and sees the ball into his hands.

He almost plays the game angry, love that out of receivers.

AntoinCD 10-13-2008 08:55 AM

Top 10 definitely, although i'd prob take Housh over him at this stage. He's a major reason why Matt Ryan is looking a lot better than most people expected his rookie season.

OzTitan 10-13-2008 08:58 AM

I haven't seen a whole lot of him, but something about him reminds me of Reggie Wayne.

And yes, it's amazing what a great target can do for a young QB. It should be an exciting pairing.

DiG 10-13-2008 08:58 AM

my dynasty fantasy league says I have myself a top tier wr for many years. and to think he was the 3rd wr i drafted this year in that league.

SeanTaylorRIP 10-13-2008 09:04 AM

My WR rankings would go like this:

**Elite**
No particular Order
Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Anquan Boldin
TO
Randy Moss
Brandon Marshall

**Pro Bowl caliber players, but at least one glaring weakness in their game**
Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Greg Jennings
Chad Johnson
Steve Smith
Braylon Edwards

**Fringe Pro Bowl Players**
Roddy White
Lee Evans
Santana Moss
Dwayne Bowe
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Calvin Johnson

**Above Average NFL Starters/Productive Vets**
Roy Williams
Hines Ward
Donald Driver
Derrick Mason
Marvin Harrison
Torry Holt
Chris Chambers

**Have Pro Bowl talent, but haven't proven it yet with consistency**
Santonio Holmes
Desean Jackson
Vincent Jackson
Bernard Berrian
Eddie Royal

ATLDirtyBirds 10-13-2008 09:07 AM

The man is a machine. As you said, he came out raw. He dropped soooo many passes his first two years here, and many Falcons fans wanted him cut. He just exploded his 3rd season though, and ever since then, plays with a ton of confidence. And you are right 10. He's physical, can match up with anyone, gets seperation, YAC, blocks, etc. Anything and everything you want from a wideout. Only negative about him would be that he sometimes reverts back to his old self and can get the dropsies. Otherwise, he's as good as they get.

AntoinCD 10-13-2008 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP (Post 1258912)
My WR rankings would go like this:

**Elite**
No particular Order
Andre Johnson
Larry Fitzgerald
Anquan Boldin
TO
Randy Moss
Brandon Marshall

Reggie Wayne
Plaxico Burress
Greg Jennings
Chad Johnson
Steve Smith
Braylon Edwards

**Fringe Pro Bowl Players**
Roddy White
Lee Evans
Santana Moss
Dwayne Bowe
T.J. Houshmandzadeh
Calvin Johnson

**Above Average NFL Starters/Productive Vets**
Roy Williams
Hines Ward
Donald Driver
Derrick Mason
Marvin Harrison
Torry Holt
Chris Chambers

**Have Pro Bowl talent, but haven't proven it yet with consistency**
Santonio Holmes
Desean Jackson
Vincent Jackson
Bernard Berrian
Eddie Royal

You've just named 30 WRs and left out Marques Colston, who I would have as a pro-bowl caliber player

SeanTaylorRIP 10-13-2008 09:12 AM

Oh that's right my bad just going off the top of my head. Forgot about Colston since he hasn't played since week one.

bigbluedefense 10-13-2008 09:14 AM

the # of high caliber WRs that Ghettosermon posted just goes to show you how much of a pass oriented league the game has become.

I still hold onto my belief that WR is the most overrated position in football. You can have a great passing attack without having an elite WR.

SeanTaylorRIP 10-13-2008 09:18 AM

I think Drew Brees is evidence to that. You could give him a jv football team WR squad and he'd still pass for 300. Of course it always helps to have a game breaking wideout but the thing I notice about guys like TO, Ocho Cinco, Brandon Marshall, Plex and such is that they develop bad tendencies for QB's. Their QB's will make them their first, second, and 3rd read and miss half the field which could be open. It's almost as if guys like Romo and even Cutler yesterday are worried about getting their star wideouts their touches that they don't read the defense properly.

AntoinCD 10-13-2008 09:23 AM

This would be my list;

Elite
Larry Fitzgerald
Andre Johnson
T.O
Randy Moss
Steve Smith

Pro-bowl
Anquan Boldin
Brandon Marshall
Greg Jennings
Marques Colston
Reggie Wayne
Lee Evans
Housh
Chad Johnson
Roddy White
Calvin Johnson
Roy Williams

Above average starters
Hines Ward
Braylon Edwards
Plaxico Burress
Santana Moss
Dwayne Bowe
Donald Driver
Tory Holt

Average Starters
Santonio Holmes
Bernard Berrian
Vincent Jackson
Laveraneus Coles
Jerricho Cotchery
Marvin Harrison(age obviously)

Thats as far as I can think.

ATLDirtyBirds 10-13-2008 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1258919)
the # of high caliber WRs that Ghettosermon posted just goes to show you how much of a pass oriented league the game has become.

I still hold onto my belief that WR is the most overrated position in football. You can have a great passing attack without having an elite WR.

You still need atleast one good one though. I will never forget the cluster**** of WR's we had when Vick was our QB. They dropped about every pass, and it was so annoying to watch. I'm sure Vick's lack of touch didn't help, but it was still really bad. It was Price, Finneran, White and Jenkins. The first two just weren't all that good, and the last two were playing like busts. Thank god White became what he did. I think he's showing off how nice it is for a QB to have a bigtime target.

LonghornsLegend 10-13-2008 09:27 AM

I've been saying he's legit for a long time, now that he has a QB he's going to be the type of guy to pull in 90/1300/8 type seasons for a long time...He's definately top 10, watch him play and you can see he's evolved more then just catching deep patterns which is what he used to just be.

The Unseen 10-13-2008 09:27 AM

Quote:

David Garrard passed for 276 yards yesterday with Matt Jones as his leading WR and other elite pass-catchers such as Marcedes Lewis, Dennis Northcutt, Reggie Williams, and MJD. So yes, it can be done. However, I can't help but wonder how much better Garrard would be with an elite WR in the corps.

AntoinCD 10-13-2008 09:33 AM

Quote:

While that is true it all depends on how a team is setup to win. The Pats before Moss and Welker were able to win Superbowls with average receivers. Drew Brees is on course to breaking passing records for yards and he doesn't have his number1 or 2. However, teams like the Cards or Cowboys would really struggle without Fitz and Boldin, and T.O

P-L 10-13-2008 09:59 AM

I guess it depends on how big your tiers are. I don't think he's the third best receiver in football, and my first tier is pretty small. So I'd say he's comfortably in the second tier.

TitleTown088 10-13-2008 10:22 AM

I never thought he was previous to this season, but after watching him tear the Packers and Bears, perhaps.

When can Jennings (the man leading the NFL right now) get his own thread about being Elite? I have a feeling he's going to be Driver all over again Mr. underrated. Which is perfectly fine.

This leads to the question, best "young" wide out? White, Jennings, Marshall, Colston, Bowe, or others?

TitleTown088 10-13-2008 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanTaylorRIP (Post 1258912)

Greg Jennings

What's his weakness? Not criticizing, just curious because I haven't been able to find a " glaring one" yet.

MetSox17 10-13-2008 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitleTown088 (Post 1258956)
I never thought he was previous to this season, but after watching him tear the Packers and Bears, perhaps.

When can Jennings (the man leading the NFL right now) get his own thread about being Elite? I have a feeling he's going to be Driver all over again Mr. underrated. Which is perfectly fine.

This leads to the question, best "young" wide out? White, Jennings, Marshall, Colston, Bowe, or others?

It's between Roddy White and Brandon Marshall. They're just the most complete WR's out of the ones you mentioned.

Of all of those, i'd take Marshall first, in an instant.

SeanTaylorRIP 10-13-2008 10:28 AM

Quote:

Larry Fitzgerald is the same age or younger than Colston and Jennings and only a year older than Marshall and Bowe. And White is older than all of them.

bigbluedefense 10-13-2008 10:29 AM

Yeah, if I had my choice of any young WR, Im taking Marshall.

But thats not considering his off field issues. Just his talent.

AntoinCD 10-13-2008 10:30 AM

Quote:

At the start of the season and after he burned Cromartie I would have said Marshall but Greg Jennings is exciting to watch. I'd say best WR after the catch in the nfl at the moment

awfullyquiet 10-13-2008 10:31 AM

Maybe it's just me. but i'd give it another year before calling him 'elite'.