Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   The NFL where mediocrity happens (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26577)

illmatic74 11-03-2008 01:24 AM

The NFL where mediocrity happens
 
In the NFL this year there are no great teams. You never know what you are getting each week. This has made plenty of games just un watchable this year. Anyone disagree?

Menardo75 11-03-2008 01:26 AM

Weird how the game of football is unpredictable. That cannot be the reason why we all watch. Have you heard of the term any given sunday?

Bruce Banner 11-03-2008 01:31 AM

First of all.....Titans?

Yeah. I'd much prefer if they did away with the salary cap and the Cowboys, Redskins, and Patriots would go 14-2 each year.

Who doesn't want the Yankees in the NFL?

----

As much as you hate it....most of us love it.

Not knowing who is going to win is what makes the NFL entertaining. Why would you want to know the result of a game before watching it? (err, have a good idea of who will win)

"Any given Sunday" already made the league fun, this is just another level of awesome.

Balanced competition ≠ mediocrity

illmatic74 11-03-2008 01:37 AM

But parity is only good if you have great teams every year. There are no great teams this year. Last year there were the Patriots, Steelers, Jaguars, Chagers, Colts, Giants, Packers, Cowboys this year there is the Titans and maybe Giants with all other teams pretty much the same.

Gay Ork Wang 11-03-2008 01:41 AM

which is bad because?

illmatic74 11-03-2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang (Post 1293563)
which is bad because?

Because mediocre teams lead to mediocre football.

yourfavestoner 11-03-2008 01:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illmatic74 (Post 1293561)
But parity is only good if you have great teams every year. There are no great teams this year. Last year there were the Patriots, Steelers, Jaguars, Chagers, Colts, Giants, Packers, Cowboys this year there is the Titans and maybe Giants with all other teams pretty much the same.

As the season goes on, the cream will rise to the top. It always happens.

This is the time of year when teams start to get hot and go on winning streaks. Offenses start gelling and defenses start coming together.

The Legend 11-03-2008 01:44 AM

Every game this year is about the defense it's just awesome.
Every game I've watched this year has been fun to watch for me.
If you are a offensive fan then you might not like this year to much.

trkaline 11-03-2008 01:46 AM

I love the way this seasons going, just enough chaos to let the Ravens slip through the cracks...

Gay Ork Wang 11-03-2008 01:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illmatic74 (Post 1293564)
Because mediocre teams lead to mediocre football.

no, it leads to close football games. thats why people watch College football too

SenorGato 11-03-2008 01:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner (Post 1293565)
As the season goes on, the cream will rise to the top. It always happens.

This is the time of year when teams start to get hot and go on winning streaks. Offenses start gelling and defenses start coming together.

Exactly.

The first 9 weeks look ******** because they are. One or two teams usually separate from the pack or just get hot, while the other 30 or so teams kind of fight to stand out.

It's always fun like that...pick the teams on the rise and the ones just playing hot.

So don't sleep on those Jets folks...*ducks for homer throws*

TitanHope 11-03-2008 01:55 AM

What's the problem with both teams having a chance to win? I think the unpredictability of games makes them entertaining. Who wants to watch New England vs Miami besides fans of those teams when New England is undefeated and Miami is winless? Who would rather see Miami beat New England by using a college formation?

Parity is not mediocrity. The bad teams have gotten better, and the great teams have declined. Simple as that.

vidae 11-03-2008 01:56 AM

Like most of the replies, I'd prefer a season like this, where any team can surprise. The Cardinals are leading their division and playing some pretty good football. It's about time too. I've always rooted for the underdog and I'd really like to see someone new win that division.

BlindSite 11-03-2008 03:06 AM

NFL is more entertaining than the english premier league or any sport that makes billions because its different every year. You want perfection you need to remove the salary cap, personally I'll take the miscues for the drama and excitement.

Paranoidmoonduck 11-03-2008 03:54 AM

Mediocre teams doesn't mean mediocre games. I think this is the most unpredictable and exciting season week to week that I have ever witnessed.

Personally, I can't get enough of it.

awfullyquiet 11-03-2008 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck (Post 1293616)
Mediocre teams doesn't mean mediocre games. I think this is the most unpredictable and exciting season week to week that I have ever witnessed.

Personally, I can't get enough of it.

that being said. the pats colts game yesterday. two teams on the decline... was a fantastic game.

the GB-Titans game was a great matchup. even the bad games are sometimes fun to watch... you can pick up any game, and there are exciting players (minus oakland and detroit... sorry), exciting plays. it's not so centric on a few teams.

giantsfan 11-03-2008 10:05 AM

What NFL games are unpredictable this year? Damnit now there's no reason to watch since the favorite isn't winning every game.

Illmatic are you cereal? I think this has been one of the better seasons in recent memory, although last year was great to, between how incredible the pats were playing and my gmen doing the unthinkable and going undefeated on the road, including the SB against the aforementioned undefeated pats.

Twiddler 11-03-2008 10:11 AM

This is one of the most exciting seasons in recent memory for me. But I personally love a league where any team can win on any day, just a personal preference.

nrk 11-03-2008 10:54 AM

It's a lot better than just hearing about the Pats, Colts, and Chargers....

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 11-03-2008 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by awfullyquiet (Post 1293808)
that being said. the pats colts game yesterday. two teams on the decline... was a fantastic game.

the GB-Titans game was a great matchup. even the bad games are sometimes fun to watch... you can pick up any game, and there are exciting players (minus oakland and detroit... sorry), exciting plays. it's not so centric on a few teams.



This is pretty exciting IMO.

bigbluedefense 11-03-2008 11:02 AM

Mediocrity means everyone is 4-4. Thats not the case. There are a couple of quality NFL teams this year.

They just happen to be teams youre not used to seeing. Its the changing of the guard, a shift in power. Get used to it, bc it will be this way for the next several years.

Bengalsrocket 11-03-2008 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1293888)
Mediocrity means everyone is 4-4. Thats not the case. There are a couple of quality NFL teams this year.

They just happen to be teams youre not used to seeing. Its the changing of the guard, a shift in power. Get used to it, bc it will be this way for the next several years.

I disagree with this. I think we'll see several shifts in power over the next couple of years. A lot of teams are in a rebuilding mode with a lot of pieces already there (they could flounder around and not amount to anything though).

Also, a lot of the teams that were strong could fix there problems pretty easily. We know the chargers / Patriots / Colts can all be repaired within the next couple of years.

bigbluedefense 11-03-2008 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengalsrocket (Post 1293905)
I disagree with this. I think we'll see several shifts in power over the next couple of years. A lot of teams are in a rebuilding mode with a lot of pieces already there (they could flounder around and not amount to anything though).

Also, a lot of the teams that were strong could fix there problems pretty easily. We know the chargers / Patriots / Colts can all be repaired within the next couple of years.

my main point is that the shift is leaning towards the NFC. Even with the Colts and Pats retooling, the NFC has teams at the top now that are good enough to compete with them at the highest level. Its not a give me for the AFC anymore like it was.

In fact, most of the better teams are in the NFC now.

ShutDwn 11-03-2008 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1293888)
Mediocrity means everyone is 4-4. Thats not the case. There are a couple of quality NFL teams this year.

They just happen to be teams youre not used to seeing. Its the changing of the guard, a shift in power. Get used to it, bc it will be this way for the next several years.

I think you are right. This isn't so much a down year as it is a change in power, it just isn't switching in one season. Younger teams are starting to find themselves and the consistently good teams from years past are fading or have been hit by injuries. Next year will be even crazier if the teams like the Colts and Pats rise back up a bit.

nrk 11-03-2008 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1293888)
Mediocrity means everyone is 4-4. Thats not the case. There are a couple of quality NFL teams this year.

They just happen to be teams youre not used to seeing. Its the changing of the guard, a shift in power. Get used to it, bc it will be this way for the next several years.


I think its more about injuries rather than changing of the powers. To my surprise, the Pats without Tom Brady are still competitive. Shawne Merriman shows just how valuable he is to that Chargers Defense. Then theres Peyton and the Colts... I don't really know what to say there. However, teams are coming up for the NFC and at the moment there are more quality NFC teams. I think AFC will be stronger next year, especially if the Titans don't drop off but the NFC is becoming strong. It's a good thing to see.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:09 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.