Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Top Defensive End's in the NFL?? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26601)

Toneloc498 11-03-2008 10:24 PM

Top Defensive End's in the NFL??

We all know the permier players on defense are usually Defensive Ends, who do you guys think are the top Defensive Ends in football, accouting for all aspects of playing DE (Run stopping, Pass rushing, contain). This is a tough question and I am having trouble putting together my list in order of whos better, got some sick talent right now at the position. Ill post my list when I get it finished.

Caddy 11-03-2008 10:29 PM

Mario Williams. The end.

d34ng3l021 11-03-2008 10:33 PM

So you are asking us which are the better DEs, and then you will make a list, probably using our opinions?

Well there are 2 types of DEs, 3-4 and 4-3.

In terms of overall ability, heres how a couple of the more balanced DEs in the league (no particular order):

Jared Allen, Mario Williams, Justin Tuck, Aaron Kampman, Trent Cole, Patrick Kerney, Julius Peppers, Osi Umyeniora, John Abraham (his run game has developed so much).

I am probably missing a couple guys.

Toneloc498 11-03-2008 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 (Post 1295058)
So you are asking us which are the better DEs, and then you will make a list, probably using our opinions?

Well there are 2 types of DEs, 3-4 and 4-3.

In terms of overall ability, heres how a couple of the more balanced DEs in the league (no particular order):

Jared Allen, Mario Williams, Justin Tuck, Aaron Kampman, Trent Cole, Patrick Kerney, Julius Peppers, Osi Umyeniora, John Abraham (his run game has developed so much).

I am probably missing a couple guys.

No I will not be using your opinions, im having trouble trying to figure out whos number 1 actually on my list:

1. Mario Williams/Justin Tuck
3. Richard Seymour (if you consider him a DE)
4. Jared Allen
5. Julius Peppers
6. John Abraham
7. Trent Cole (very underrated in his run D)
8. Osi Umyeniora (his run D has gotten better but not dominant yet)
9. Patrick Kerney (man is a beast with a non stop motor)
10. Aaron Kampman
11. Shaun Ellis (very underrated player)
12. Will Smith (Roids?)

Thats my list

GB12 11-03-2008 10:42 PM

4-3 only

1. Mario Williams
2. Aaron Kampman
3. Justin Tuck
4. Patrick Kearny
5. Jared Allen
6. John Abraham
7. Osi Umenyiora
8. Kyle Vanden Bosch
9. Julius Peppers
10. Trent Cole

619 11-03-2008 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 24cadillac24 (Post 1295043)
Mario Williams. The end.

Justin Tuck would like a word with you .

katnip 11-03-2008 10:49 PM

No Haloti Ngata? The guy Ray Lew' said about having in front of him. He's a DE technically?

tjsunstein 11-03-2008 11:02 PM

Nip - Tuck and Super Mario are the two absolutely elite. Followed By Kampman, Jared Allen, and others but Justin Tuck and Mario Williams warrant their own tier of eliteness.

d34ng3l021 11-03-2008 11:04 PM

You cant have a list with both 3-4 and 4-3 ends. Completely different positions and its nearly impossible to compare.

Sniper 11-03-2008 11:17 PM

Ends, not end's.

Mario Williams. Good night.

RaiderNation 11-03-2008 11:44 PM

Super Mario, Tuck, Abraham, Allen, Kampman are beasts this season

Toneloc498 11-03-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SNIPER26 (Post 1295176)
Ends, not end's.

Mario Williams. Good night.

I think you can make quite a good argument that Tuck is as good as Mario or possibly even better. They both are having monster years and are defenitly the #1 and 2 DE's in the league.

Vikes99ej 11-03-2008 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 619 (Post 1295089)
Justin Tuck would like a word with you .

So he can tell him Mario Williams is the best?

Malaka 11-03-2008 11:50 PM

My Top Ten DEs (4-3 DEs)

1. Mario Williams
2. Justin Tuck
3. Jared Allen
4. Aaron Kampman
5. Osi Umenyiora
6. John Abraham
7. Patrick Kearney
8. Julius Peppers
9. Trent Cole
10. Dwight Freeney

illmatic74 11-03-2008 11:54 PM

3-4
1. Luis Castillo
2. Richard Seymour
3. Haloti Ngata

Mr. Stiller 11-04-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by illmatic74 (Post 1295282)
3-4
1. Luis Castillo
2. Richard Seymour
3. Haloti Ngata

Wow thats bad.

1) Haloti Ngata
2) Aaron Smith
3) Ty Warren
4) Richard Seymour
5) Trevor Pryce
6) Luis Castillo
7) Brett Keisel
8) Shaun Smith
9) Kendall Langford
10) Igor Olshansky

CashmoneyDrew 11-04-2008 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB12 (Post 1295087)
4-3 only

1. Mario Williams
2. Aaron Kampman
3. Justin Tuck
4. Patrick Kearny
5. Jared Allen
6. John Abraham
7. Osi Umenyiora
8. Kyle Vanden Bosch
9. Julius Peppers
10. Trent Cole

Thank God someone in here has some sense.

Malaka 11-04-2008 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Stiller (Post 1295292)
Wow thats bad.

1) Haloti Ngata
2) Aaron Smith
3) Ty Warren
4) Richard Seymour
5) Trevor Pryce
6) Luis Castillo
7) Brett Keisel
8) Shaun Smith
9) Kendall Langford
10) Igor Olshansky

Aaron Smith is a top 5 3-4 DE not top 2 IMO.

My top 5 3-4 DEs

1. Haloti Ngata
2. Ty Warren
3. Luis Castillo
4. Aaron Smith
5. Richard Seymour

Pokeys 11-04-2008 12:24 AM

Anybody think a change of scenery will help Peppers? There was a time where he was easily one of the top defensive players in the league, but since then his play has dropped off a bit and hes not producing like he should be.

iloxygenil 11-04-2008 12:26 AM

This board is WAY too high on Mario Williams, he's good, but he's not the best DE in the NFL, not close. To be elite it has to be sustained, he hasn't sustained it nearly long enough, and he's not even the best DE this year. John Abraham gets that title with Justin Tuck sticking his nose in the picture as well. Man you people are crazy for big names regardless of facts.

NY+Giants=NYG 11-04-2008 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vikes99ej (Post 1295268)
So he can tell him Mario Williams is the best?

Yeah but we didn't have to spend the first overall pick for him nor pay him a contract that big. We basically went bargain hunting and found someone in that elite category. We did that with Osi as well, and Kiwi is panning out too. lol. So I'd rather go bargaining hunting and give props to our GM and scouts for that then gamble with the first overall pick and pay that contract. Now having said that Williams is a sick DE.

terribletowel39 11-04-2008 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malaka (Post 1295306)
Aaron Smith is a top 5 3-4 DE not top 2 IMO.

My top 5 3-4 DEs

1. Haloti Ngata
2. Ty Warren
3. Luis Castillo
4. Aaron Smith
5. Richard Seymour

There are different jobs in a 34 defense as well. With what they are asked to do, Aaron Smith is #1. I'm pretty sure Stiller is tired of being called a homer which is why he put Ngata above Smith. Sure Ngata rushes the passer better but there isn't a 34 end in the game that stops the run better and takes up space on pass plays than Smith.

Malaka 11-04-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terribletowel39 (Post 1295361)
There are different jobs in a 34 defense as well. With what they are asked to do, Aaron Smith is #1. I'm pretty sure Stiller is tired of being called a homer which is why he put Ngata above Smith. Sure Ngata rushes the passer better but there isn't a 34 end in the game that stops the run better and takes up space on pass plays than Smith.

I am not taking away from how good Aaron Smith is, I just would take Haloti, Ty and Luis ahead of him, Aaron Smith is a great player and is a huge reason why the Steelers have the best rush defense in the league. We have varying opinions but in no way am I saying Smith is bad.

Vox Populi 11-04-2008 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iloxygenil (Post 1295355)
This board is WAY too high on Mario Williams, he's good, but he's not the best DE in the NFL, not close. To be elite it has to be sustained, he hasn't sustained it nearly long enough, and he's not even the best DE this year. John Abraham gets that title with Justin Tuck sticking his nose in the picture as well. Man you people are crazy for big names regardless of facts.

Thanks for the insight, Abraham lover ;)

What inconsistency has Williams had that Abe hasn't this season? Didn't Abe just come off a stretch of 3 games without a sack before dismantling the Raiders joke of a left tackle, Kwame Harris... I think Abe is money, but hes practically a more one dimensional version of Williams who is a better end overall without question.

This year so far I'd put Justin Tuck on top of my list followed by Mario Williams, Richard Seymour, John Abraham, Jarred Allen, Aaron Kampman and Gaines Adams. In that order.

Also, Osi Umenyiora is way too low on all of these lists. Next year he is going to be up around the top of all these lists along with Tuck. Next year the Giants defense is just going to be nasty with a more experienced secondary and hopefully a more talented pair of outside linebackers and an even deeper defensive line rotation with more overall talent. Scary. So lucky for the rest of the league that Osi and Strahan aren't still kicking around kicking it around for the Giants. I don't think any QB they'd play would be able to play 4 full quarters... (yes this is an exaggeration, but think about the fact that they are playing with their backup rotational guy and a linebacker from last year)

SMoore 11-04-2008 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iloxygenil (Post 1295355)

If you're going to drop Williams for not having been on top for long enough, you have to knock Tuck down to. This is the first year he has been a full time starter.

But overall, I would rank Williams just a slight bit higher than Tuck, although it's really close.