Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Jamarcus Russell = Bust? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26635)

Donno 11-04-2008 09:27 PM

Jamarcus Russell = Bust?

I know hes only been in the league for a little over a year but I haven't seen one game where I was thinking wow this guy is going to be the real deal. I honestly think the Raiders should start Walter or something right now. Im waiting for the game where he throws 300+ yards but Im afraid it wont happen. What do you guys think?

gsorace 11-04-2008 09:29 PM

Kwame Harris is the raiders starting left tackle....

niel89 11-04-2008 09:29 PM

its still too early plus he doesnt have the best cast to wok with

keylime_5 11-04-2008 09:30 PM

the raiders suck, it's not russell's fault his O-Line is stinky, his running game isn't working, and his receivers are a terrible mess on the most disfunctional, worst ran/coached team in American sports.

brat316 11-04-2008 09:30 PM

not yet you have to wait 3 years to be labeled a bust. Also its not his fault that the owner keep screwing him over. He does need consistence in order to learn. Look what happened to Alex Smith had 4 different offensive coordinators, now he is a bust then again he might break out with another team. That probably won't happen but you never know.

Donno 11-04-2008 09:36 PM

I agree with you guys but did you see him against the Falcons? He looked solid at LSU and last Sunday he looked like he didnt know what to do. But the truth is his o-line sucks.

Geo 11-04-2008 09:39 PM

Way too soon to say. Everyone knew going in that he wasn't going to be NFL ready from day one, and playing for an unstable franchise in Oakland has a bigger effect than anything else.

SeanTaylorRIP 11-04-2008 09:39 PM

Well just a month prior to the draft I said he was along the same lines as a prospect as Jason Campbell and should be drafted in a similar spot, but honestly you can't tell with this kid. His o-line sucks, he has no receivers, and the running game is nonexistent even compared to last season. He definitely is a big dude with a big arm and decent delivery, so we can't really judge him until we see him in a favorable situation.

aNYtitan 11-04-2008 09:41 PM

He has looked awful but maybe we should give him more then half of season of starting +1 game started in 07 before we call players busts. It seems that we are getting closer and closer to calling players busts after 4 games and then probably 2

BrownsTown 11-04-2008 09:43 PM

You can't call him a bust yet. He will be though. Lazy attitude and a lot of work needed to adjust to the NFL does not a franchise QB make.

brat316 11-04-2008 09:48 PM

His running game was there before but then something happened...something important and great.

d34ng3l021 11-04-2008 09:49 PM

Not enough talent around him, and he needs more of a work ethic.

Paranoidmoonduck 11-04-2008 09:50 PM

No, not even close. He's played well in spurts this season, but the new gameplans Oakland is putting out there are protecting him way less than Kiffin was. Oakland doesn't have the tackles (or really even the wide receivers) to play the deep passing game, and how Oakland didn't learn this lesson in 2006 is beyond me.

I actually like some of what Russell has shown this year, although there are obvious flaws to his approach. I never really thought he was going to be an all-pro passer unless Oakland put an all-star cast around him, but he's definitely demonstrated that if Oakland can become even moderately functional by NFL standards, he could be an above average game manager who would occasionally make the big play.

Whether that ever happens in Oakland is yet to be seen. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that he is considered an overall bust by his career performance. But this guy can become a good starter in the NFL. I have no doubt about that.

diabsoule 11-04-2008 09:54 PM

Yes. He was a bust entering the NFL.

... 11-04-2008 10:38 PM

I don't see him getting any better. Even if they do upgrade the OL, which I really doubt they will.
Anyone see Baldinger going on about Russell and McFadden both being busts already?

619 11-04-2008 10:51 PM

I'll reserve my judgement until the team actually adds some 'adequate' receivers. The sudden demise of Ronald Curry was a huge blow. Watching him run this offense under this pathetic supporting cast is still a rather scary thought.

Will he ever fulfill his career potential as a franchise QB worthy of the top overall pick ? Probably not. However as PMD said that sure doesn't mean he cannot be a good starter in this league who can maybe finally find his niche as a quality game manager.

doingthisinsteadofwork 11-04-2008 10:58 PM

Russell's biggest problem right now is kwame Harris.The guy clearly sucks and Mario is easily better.This makes Zach Miller block more and not be as much of a recieving threat.He and Russell have good chemistry together.The WRs suck.But as much as we've heard about how great his arm is, he's yet to show it.That being said it's only his 2nd year and he still needs alot more time to develop.Work ethic isn't his problem.I'd like to say he could be a star but with the way this franchise is doing I doubt that'll ever be the case.

#1chiefs_fan 11-04-2008 11:33 PM

Jamarcus Russell isn't a bust yet. I cant blame Jamarcus because he has no weapons to throw to and a crappy oline. The coaching staff is not that good. There so many other problems with the raiders that i cant just point to russell. You already see in Atlanta how Ryan is flourishing with weapons around him Turner and Roddy white and etc. The raiders franchise is so dysfunctional that I cant even blame it on Russell. I will give him 2 years and make my final assessment.

holt_bruce81 11-04-2008 11:37 PM

Russell = only 10 starts in the NFL

Give the guy some time.

locseti 11-04-2008 11:41 PM

He still can't even hit the standard dump off, but he's not a bust yet. Kwame Harris was a bust 4 yrs ago.

Flyboy 11-04-2008 11:52 PM

Have you SEEN the Raiders play?

Please. Give the guy some time.

tjsunstein 11-04-2008 11:53 PM

1. Give him some time.
2. Give him a semi decent O-Line
3. Give him a reciever that wants to play.
4. Give him a run game, which plays back to the O-Line.

Gotta Give to Get, in this case gotta surround him to get results. He isn't a playmaker by himself; he needs help that he doesnt have right now.

PackerLegend 11-05-2008 12:00 AM

As long as Al Davis is running the show he will be a bust.

619 11-05-2008 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerLegend (Post 1297050)
As long as Al Davis is running the show he will be a bust.

We need a ******* makeover on offense. Do you understand what I mean by a ******* makeover ? :)

BuddyCHRIST 11-05-2008 12:14 AM

he's probably in the worst situation in the NFL. He has a good rb stable but they are all injured and the o-line is very poor. The WR's are lazy and uninterested and all the turmoil within the coaching staff certainly doesn't help. He also has stalled himself coming out of shape and holding out for so long, he still could blossom but one thing I see right now too often is his willingness to check down. I will say one thing though, his ability to throw the short ball has impressed me as I really thought that was a major weakness coming out. But he could be a difficult guy to judge for a long time because of the situation.