Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Tyler Thigpen- Is he forreal? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=26783)

LarryJohnson27 11-09-2008 07:43 PM

Tyler Thigpen- Is he forreal?

@ NYJ- 25/36 69.4% 280 pass yds 2 TD's 0 INT's
vs. TB- 14/25 56% 164 yds 1 TD O INT's (1 rec TD)
@SD- 27/41 65% 255 pass yds 3 TD's O INT's

bored of education 11-09-2008 07:45 PM

I think he is a very capable quarterback, and at this moment I dont think he is the answer.

I wrote this in another thread:
I think if Stafford(dpending on who declares)is gone you go in a different direction. Next year the Chiefs will have Quinn Gray, Damon Huard, Brodie Croyle and Thigpen on the roster so I think you keep the best of them and still rebuild the rest of the team. Fill some more holes and see if you get any progress out of the QB position.

If Tyler has these types of performances (the ones you posted) another 5-6 weeks then the Chiefs can sacrifice not drafting a qb esp if one is not their at their pick in the 1st round. I used the wrong theres, there.

bored of education 11-09-2008 07:48 PM

The analyst said that Thigpen reminds him of Rich Gannon and I see that alot the more Tyler plays.

vidae 11-09-2008 07:54 PM

I like Thigpen. I'm officially on the bandwagon. He's playing well, he isn't turning the ball over, and every week he's getting better and better.

If he plays this well down the stretch, and we're competitive in every game like we have been the past three weeks, I could see us skipping QB all together and drafting OL, DL or MLB.

dabears10 11-09-2008 07:56 PM

I enjoy watching Tyler Thigpen play. There is not enough information to know whether or not Thigpen could be a long term answer.

Breaker 11-09-2008 07:57 PM

lol at only Chief's fans commenting in this thread. Seems like no one else cares.

I sure do hope he is forreal, so the Chiefs won't draft a QB high this upcoming draft.
Send Stafford to Houston.

Brent 11-09-2008 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breaker (Post 1304878)
Send Stafford to Houston.

Why wouldnt the Lions take him at #1? Not to mention that with all the money invested in Schaub, I dont think they would even consider a QB.

Breaker 11-09-2008 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1304883)
Why wouldnt the Lions take him at #1? Not to mention that with all the money invested in Schaub, I dont think they would even consider a QB.

****, forgot about the Lions. We still got competition.

Schaub is injury-prone, doesn't look like it'll change after two season. I, and other Texans fans, have given up on this unreliable QB. I hope to draft a good prospect at QB, and start Schaub as the QB develop, just incase Schaub does turn out to be a bust. It still might be too early to tell.

I would hope the situation turns out to be like what the Charger had with Brees/Rivers, instead of like the Browns with Anderson/Quinn.... so we can get some value in return to whom ever we trade. I just don't think we can trust either Sage/Schaub anymore, until proven otherwise.

Vox Populi 11-09-2008 08:14 PM

The Chiefs still need to take a quarterback in the first round if the opportunity is there. Luckily for Thigpen though, it seems unlikely that any underclassmen other than Stafford declare and quarterback is the Lions greatest need, so it might be a moot point.

Its been three games, and yeah, Thigpen has played admirably in the games, the Jets game impressed me the most. I only caught the last 54 seconds of this game and only watched the end of their game against the Bucs. His stat line is impressive, but still... three games.

The one thing I do have to say. The Chiefs should NOT under and circumstances spend a draft pick on a quarterback if they don't have a shot at a first round underclassmen. Creating a quarterback controversy with a couple young potential filled guys will kill the Chiefs development because they'll decide to wait to find out about their current quarterbacks instead of taking a top prospect when they are there for the taking.

If I were a Chiefs fan, the way I'd want things to play out would be to take Orakpo in the first round with Stafford already off the board and go BPA all day long just like they did last year while avoiding selecting a quarterback. Dump Johnson for the best offer they can find also. His contract is dead weight at this point unfortunately.

PoopSandwich 11-09-2008 08:19 PM

Don't the Chiefs need offensive line very badly?

Basileus777 11-09-2008 08:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinslowBodden (Post 1304921)

The right side of our line is complete trash, but you don't take RG/RT with a top 5 pick. Hopefully we have our LT of the future in Albert.

vidae 11-09-2008 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vox Populi (Post 1304912)
The Chiefs still need to take a quarterback in the first round if the opportunity is there. Luckily for Thigpen though, it seems unlikely that any underclassmen other than Stafford declare and quarterback is the Lions greatest need, so it might be a moot point.

Its been three games, and yeah, Thigpen has played admirably in the games, the Jets game impressed me the most. I only caught the last 54 seconds of this game and only watched the end of their game against the Bucs. His stat line is impressive, but still... three games.

The one thing I do have to say. The Chiefs should NOT under and circumstances spend a draft pick on a quarterback if they don't have a shot at a first round underclassmen. Creating a quarterback controversy with a couple young potential filled guys will kill the Chiefs development because they'll decide to wait to find out about their current quarterbacks instead of taking a top prospect when they are there for the taking.

If I were a Chiefs fan, the way I'd want things to play out would be to take Orakpo in the first round with Stafford already off the board and go BPA all day long just like they did last year while avoiding selecting a quarterback. Dump Johnson for the best offer they can find also. His contract is dead weight at this point unfortunately.

I agree. Dump Johnson, take DE or MLB in the first round this year to bolster that defense, and go BPA (maybe picking up a G) the rest of the draft. Stick to our board like last year.

Quote:

Originally Posted by WinslowBodden (Post 1304921)

Yes and no. Branden Albert is a freaking stud at LT, Brian Waters is as good as ever and I like what Rudy Niswanger, our Center, brings to the table. I'm not very happy with how Damion McIntosh has been playing so I think he needs to be replaced, but when your defense only has 6 sacks on the year, and when you're dead last in run D, you have to go DE or MLB with your first selection.

I would love for us to land Herman Johnson in the second if possible. He could start immediately at RG for us.

Vox Populi 11-09-2008 08:28 PM

Everyone without a smallish ZBS wants Herman Johnson in the second.

NIN1984 11-09-2008 09:25 PM

Those should have been 3 wins for the Chiefs. But yeah I think Thigpen is pretty good.

etk 11-09-2008 09:28 PM

He's really good at lobbing it up to Tony Gonzalez and letting him make ridiculous catches. That's for sure. Kind of reminds me of Derek Anderson that way.

JeffSamardzijaIRISH 11-09-2008 09:42 PM

Someone with the name Thigpen will never be good.

MetSox17 11-09-2008 09:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Breaker (Post 1304899)
****, forgot about the Lions. We still got competition.

Schaub is injury-prone, doesn't look like it'll change after two season. I, and other Texans fans, have given up on this unreliable QB. I hope to draft a good prospect at QB, and start Schaub as the QB develop, just incase Schaub does turn out to be a bust. It still might be too early to tell.

I would hope the situation turns out to be like what the Charger had with Brees/Rivers, instead of like the Browns with Anderson/Quinn.... so we can get some value in return to whom ever we trade. I just don't think we can trust either Sage/Schaub anymore, until proven otherwise.

No matter how injury prone Schaub has seemed right now, you don't sacrifice two first round picks and a big contract, just to draft a guy in the first round two years later. If next year he doesn't amount to anything, then you go to the draft pool.

leroyisgod 11-09-2008 09:52 PM

Let's see how he can close out the season this year. It's too easy to say he's for real. When he starts winning some games I'll jump on the wagon.

Im_a_Romosexual 11-09-2008 09:56 PM

I think he's proven to be a capable backup, but not a #1 guy

at least IMO

Splat 11-09-2008 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etk (Post 1305063)
He's really good at lobbing it up to Tony Gonzalez and letting him make ridiculous catches.

Thats not all he has done kid has been playing smart football and moving the ball around he finds the open man.

I'm not saying he is the next Tom Brady or any thing but he has been doing more then just lobbing up balls.

DHVF 11-09-2008 10:16 PM

Tyler Thigpen is the man and will lead the Chiefs to the promise land.

Dr. Gonzo 11-09-2008 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diehardvikingsfan (Post 1305148)
Tyler Thigpen is the man and will lead the Chiefs to the promise land.

He is indeed awesome but he is no JDB.

Xiomera 11-09-2008 10:23 PM

No. Thigpen is horrible. The Chiefs should trade up for Stafford with Detroit. We only want your 1st, 2nd, and 3rd rounder + a 1st in 2010.

Thigpen is, however, good enough for my fantasy team. haha

tjsunstein 11-09-2008 10:27 PM

I think he needs a fully capable surrounding cast around him before you draft someone else especially the way he has been playing. I would like to see how he plays with a developed O-line and the Larry Johnson we used to know.

eazyb81 11-09-2008 10:35 PM

I don't know if he's for real or not, but I do know that I haven't seen a KC QB play like this in years. He's a great fit for Chan Gailey's offense, and it would be amazing if we struck gold with him, but let's see how he finishes.

Honestly though, with the lack of talent on both sides of the ball right now, it's incredible that he's even done this well. Our leading rusher today was Dantrell Savage, a UDFA from this year's draft, and our second leading receiver was Mark Bradley, a guy we picked up in free agency just a couple weeks ago. And we haven't even mentioned the defense yet.