Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Houston Texans Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   I admit I was wrong on Steve Slaton... but so were you!!! (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27669)

D-Unit 12-08-2008 03:40 PM

I admit I was wrong on Steve Slaton... but so were you!!!

HAHAHA! Admit it. There were many doubters here including myself. But the guy has been tearing it up and is only getting better and better with more playing time. I thought he'd only be a change of pace back in the NFL, but he has shown the ability to be a major player. I still don't think he's a good short yardage/power back, and I still think the Texans are better off finding a power back to compliment him, but he's been a lot better than I predicted. A LOT better.

Turtlepower 12-08-2008 03:42 PM

I just remember the one game against Pitt more or less killing Slaton's draft stock. What a flippin' fantastic RB class.

Ness 12-08-2008 03:44 PM

Well I can't wait to see what he can do over the course of an entire season. I'm wondering if with extended carries he'll tire down by the month of December. But for now, he's having a fantastic rookie season.

sbh15 12-08-2008 03:46 PM

I won't act like I knew he was going to be a stud pickup for Houston, but I was pretty surprised to see him in the third round. I knew he could be a great complimentary back, but I'll admit I never thought he'd be this good. I've voted him to the Pro Bowl each time I vote. I think he's probably the most exciting AFC running back to watch outside of Chris Johnson.

scottyboy 12-08-2008 03:47 PM

he still sucks and will get arrested for raping his 12 year old cousin once said cousin finds out Slaton makes lots of cash and sues him. THE END

princefielder28 12-08-2008 03:47 PM

I think there were alot of people, including myself, who believed that Slaton could thrive in a ZBS, but no one can say that they thought he could be this successful this early.

Gay Ork Wang 12-08-2008 03:48 PM

Forte + Slaton + CJ = Awesome RB class!

Flyboy 12-08-2008 03:49 PM

Speak for yourself. I was always high on Steve Slaton and thought he was an underrated draft prospect.

tjsunstein 12-08-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by *** Ork Wang (Post 1358918)
Forte + Slaton + CJ - McFadden = Awesome RB class!

Fixed for you. Let's add a healthy Mendenhall and Felix to that list.

D-Unit 12-08-2008 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyboy (Post 1358922)
Speak for yourself. I was always high on Steve Slaton and thought he was an underrated draft prospect.

All praise Flyboy for his honorably flyness!!!!

...and wtf scotty? He raped his 12 yr old neice??? That's F'd up!!!

keylime_5 12-08-2008 03:52 PM

I was an advocate of Cleveland taking him in the second round up until we traded our second round pick. I knew he'd be a pretty good pro, but he has done more than I thought he would for sure so soon.

sbh15 12-08-2008 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tjsunstein (Post 1358930)
Fixed for you. Let's add a healthy Mendenhall and Felix to that list.

mcfandeen iz a bust and eqkwills 2 lok wins pur yer

Gay Ork Wang 12-08-2008 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboy (Post 1358914)
he still sucks and will get arrested for raping his 12 year old cousin once said cousin finds out Slaton makes lots of cash and sues him. THE END

Dude ur mixing something up. He wasnt from Rutgers...

BlindSite 12-08-2008 03:55 PM

I admit I was surprised because when they picked him up I said "who in the blue hell is that?"

BeerBaron 12-08-2008 03:56 PM

Before last season, I think a lot of people were thinking he could be a great back but man...he tanked it pretty bad last year. looked like he was saving his body for the NFL and his stock crashed and burned.

But that Texans ZBS is just too perfect for a runner like him.

San Diego Chicken 12-08-2008 03:57 PM

This is exactly what I said about Slaton -

Quote:

I know some people downgrade running backs who play in the spread, but one good thing the spread does is gets them used to running downhill once they make their first cut. So I think Slaton might actually be decent in a zone blocking scheme. How about Slaton as the change of pace back to Ryan Grant?
http://draftcountdown.com/forum/show...n#post85133 5

Lo and behold, he ends up with a zone blocking team and is doing well. And GB might not have all the problems they're having now running the ball if Slaton were aboard.

Sidenote - I still hate the zone blocking style of offense. It makes me sick to see 300 pound OL near the sideline trying to take out a DB's knees. That isn't football.

SeanTaylorRIP 12-08-2008 03:58 PM

Following the Big East and the Terps so you know it sucked seeing him run on the Terps when they dropped his scholarship last second, I thought he was a good prospect. I think that people were severely underrating his bulk. Still I had him only as a 2nd-3rd round prospect and I didn't think he'd be as good as he already is.

scottyboy 12-08-2008 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 1358931)
All praise Flyboy for his honorably flyness!!!!

...and wtf scotty? He raped his 12 yr old neice??? That's F'd up!!!

not neice. nephew.

and brother.

and cousin.

but what did you expect, he's from West Virginia...

SchizophrenicBatman 12-08-2008 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princefielder28 (Post 1358917)
I think there were alot of people, including myself, who believed that Slaton could thrive in a ZBS, but no one can say that they thought he could be this successful this early.

pretty much, I didnt think he'd be a good RB for most teams in the NFL but could have a decent amount of success in the ZBS. This much, and in his rookie year? Nah, but I wouldnt say I'm that surprised about it

same goes for Aqib Talib in the c2 in tampa. I think if you take him out of that system he's not that great. Fits in it pretty damn well though

Sniper 12-08-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboy (Post 1358963)
not neice. nephew.

and brother.

and cousin.

I know five people who know Slaton, and they all say he's the nicest person they've ever met.

abaddon41_80 12-08-2008 04:34 PM

ZBS = a running back's best friend.

jayceheathman 12-08-2008 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboy (Post 1358914)

He didnt go to Rutgers so he has more class that that.

sbh15 12-08-2008 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboy (Post 1358963)
not neice. nephew.

and brother.

and cousin.

He's from Pennsylvania... found his old rivals page.

And is it just me or does it look like he has tits here?

captainjack27 12-08-2008 04:43 PM

This has been an impressive RB class to say the least. Slaton, Forte, Chris Johnson have become very good feature backs for their teams. Felix Jones was playing well before his injury. Ray Rice has become a big part of the Baltimore offense. Don't forget Kevin Smith either, who's been a bright spot for the Lions. It's too bad Mendenhall got injured, I would have loved to see him this year.

Geo 12-08-2008 04:46 PM

Sorry to disappoint D, but I liked Slaton when he was the bee's knees and still afterwards when he fell out of favor.