Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Jerod Mayo Wins DROY (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=28390)

bored of education 12-31-2008 06:56 AM

Jerod Mayo Wins DROY

I heard it on the radio on my way into work and looking for the link now.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...Tr3qwD95DIK280

Kid is a beast. Pats got something special with this pick for sure. It helped having that front three even though they didn't do that great this year. But I have this guy in the same league as P Willie, Harris and Beason as young LBs for the future. (If i am missing anyone eat one)

TitanHope 12-31-2008 07:36 AM

No surprise there. The next great Vol LB! /homer :cool:

BmoreBlackByrdz 12-31-2008 07:45 AM

Glad to see him win it. Also didnt want Horton to win. I thought the guy just started strong and I havent heard his name since the first Cowboy game. Congrats to Mayo though, well deserved.

Prowler 12-31-2008 08:34 AM

how the hell did keith rivers get a vote? he didn't even play half the year. that should have been unanimous

SeanTaylorRIP 12-31-2008 08:43 AM

Chris Horton not a single vote, and Keith Rivers got one, what a shame.

Giantsfan1080 12-31-2008 08:47 AM

Good pick. Kid was a beast and pretty consistent all year. Pats helped themselves out finally in the LB corps.

wicket 12-31-2008 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1396732)
how the hell did keith rivers get a vote? he didn't even play half the year. that should have been unanimous

perhaps one of the corners or something but rivers indeed didnt deserve a vote

thenewfeature06 12-31-2008 08:55 AM

i feel proud since i also had him as my preseason DROY..alot of people thought last years pick could have been a variety of positions for the pats but seems to have worked out well

Prowler 12-31-2008 08:58 AM

he could have definately helped detroit, too bad new england has an actual scouting department.

TimD 12-31-2008 09:01 AM

jets shoulda taken him haha

bored of education 12-31-2008 09:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimDris (Post 1396772)
jets shoulda taken him haha

I remember in a mock draft for KC..I took Flacco, Mayo, Eddie Royal :(

I sent Clark Hunt my resume with my history of KC mock drafts on different websites. I wonder if he is gonna even call me.

Iamcanadian 12-31-2008 09:17 AM

Gee, LB's win it every year especially if they play inside. I guess it's because they do most of the tackling for their teams and those are visual facts which seem to impress voters who probably couldn't break down a defensive player's game if asked.
If you want to know who next year's rookie of the year wuill be, just examine the ILB's who get top start.

TitanHope 12-31-2008 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian
Gee, LB's win it every year especially if they play inside. I guess it's because they do most of the tackling for their teams and those are visual facts which seem to impress voters who probably couldn't break down a defensive player's game if asked.
If you want to know who next year's rookie of the year wuill be, just examine the ILB's who get top start.

This year, I think an ILB winning was mostly due to the lack of other obvious candidates. No early picks really stood out statistically either. All of the DB's were in the same tier - you could make just as good of argument for Horton as you could DRC. On the DL, Dorsey and Ellis did nothing spectacular and probably the best candidates were Jason Jones/DT and Cliff Avril/DE. As for LB, Mayo was the obvious choice.

Besides, LB always have the inside track on DPOY awards.

Geo 12-31-2008 10:04 AM

An excellent choice, he was a great pick for the Patriots.

Forenci 12-31-2008 10:23 AM

Very deserving, Mayo is a stud. I was actually more impressed with his coverage ability than anything else. I think it was a given he would be a superb tackler but his ability to go out there and cover tight ends and running backs was somewhat surprising.

Although, perhaps some day we will get a DROY who isn't a linebacker. Here's to hoping!

Solomon 12-31-2008 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 1396767)
he could have definately helped detroit, too bad new england has an actual scouting department.

Actually reports on draft day suggested that the Lions coveted Mayo but the Patriots took him 5 spots earlier.

CashmoneyDrew 12-31-2008 11:45 AM

Congrats to him. Tennessee could've used him this year though. :(

d34ng3l021 12-31-2008 12:04 PM

He is not in the same league as Patrick Willis or Jon Beason, but good pick none the less. Should be a good LB for years.

Hamptorf 12-31-2008 12:27 PM

Great Pick!!!!

Very deserving, Stand-up guy

couldn't be happier seeing him excel

Don Vito 12-31-2008 01:04 PM

Congratulations to Jerod, this was well deserved. I am so thrilled to have him on our team, he is going to be a monster for quite some time. Now we just need to add some more talent around him in the linebacking corps and the secondary.

bored of education 12-31-2008 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by d34ng3l021 (Post 1396948)
He is not in the same league as Patrick Willis or Jon Beason, but good pick none the less. Should be a good LB for years.

I know waht you mean. But he is in the same class as leaders of this new LB generation. He is nto as skilled as P Will or Beason but he is definatly someone to carry a torch..not THE TORCH

d34ng3l021 12-31-2008 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bored of education (Post 1397047)
I know waht you mean. But he is in the same class as leaders of this new LB generation. He is nto as skilled as P Will or Beason but he is definatly someone to carry a torch..not THE TORCH

I still don't know about that. I think Willis, Beason, and Ruud are good enough to carry the torch for a long long time. They are all outstanding and excel in different schemes (3-4 ILB, 4-3 MLB, Tampa 2 MLB) and are very young (23, 23, 25). That is the class of LBs for the future (not even taking into account Ware and other OLBs). I dont know if Mayo will establish himself into that group, but he will be very good.

Menardo75 12-31-2008 02:06 PM

Very deserving the other guy I would have considerded was Flowers, but you can't go wrong with this pick.

themaninblack 12-31-2008 02:42 PM

It's a shame Rivers didn't get to play a full season but I do agree he did NOT deserve a vote. Would have been a nice battle to see if he had been healthy all year though.

jkpigskin 12-31-2008 03:52 PM

Mayo played exceptional this season, filling in for a banged up LB core of Adalius Thomas and Teddy Bruschi. Congrats to him