Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   NFC North Division Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=90)
-   -   2009 NFC North Champions (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33627)

Manic Depressant 05-06-2009 02:00 PM

2009 NFC North Champions

Who do you think is going to win the 2009 NFC North?

Vote and also post with how you think the teams will finish from 1 to 4. Explanations are encouraged.

Hopefully we can get some good discussion on what to expect in the upcoming season!

jsang74 05-06-2009 02:15 PM

1. Vikings
Best defense, best running game.
2. Packers
Best offense in the division on paper, defense may struggle but scoring points can win games.
3. Bears
Solid defense but Cutler doesn't have Brandon Marshall or Eddie Royal to throw to and two new starters at tackle make me question if the offense will be much better.
4. Lions
Terrible defense + terrible offense = terrible team. At least they can't be worse than last year.

The Dynasty 05-06-2009 02:35 PM

I mainly chose the Vikings because of the Defense will only get better because of the time spent through the team. I am not worried about the 4 game suspension that Kevin and Pat Williams might have to go through. If it was the first four games we play the Browns, Lions, Niners, and Packers. I think we can win 3 and maybe 4 games if we are lucky. Im also going on the assumption that if the Vikings sign Brett Favre. I feel having a stable QB for just a year will make the vikings offense a lot better than has been put on the field in the past years. Adrian Peterson is the best running back in the league. We have 2 capable home run threats in Wide Receivers. I just like our chances if we sign Favre. It doesnt hurt to have the 2nd easiest scheldue in the league.

I didnt choose the Packers because of the Defense. Switching to the 34 can become a little problem in the beginning. Players might occasionally get out of place but If they show up for the first 3-4 games and the Offense is the same as last year then they could easily win the division.

Bears the main problem is the Wide Receiver spot. Devin Hester is a burner and could take it to the house every play but after that they are hoping on rookies and players who are 3rd WR's at best. They also have to hope for the defense to come back to regular form. They were 16th in Defense last year.

Lions I think they could become a surprise this upcoming season. I think there Defense is looking very good especially the LB core with Foote, Sims and Peterson. Some questions still remain on the defense though and same with the offense. Culpepper is down to his rookie weight and will push stafford to make sure that right man wins the job. The offense could become very explosive with Calvin Johnson and Kevin Smith. But I still feel they end up in the bottom of the division but a bigger improvement from last year.

Yatta! 05-06-2009 08:02 PM

I really think that every team in this division has improved over the offseason. I voted for the Vikings just, if they get improved quarterback play then they will be in the Superbowl hunt - in any case they got below average performances from Frerotte & Jackson last year and still came out on top. That and the transition to the 3-4 worries me for us, even if we have brought the right players and coaches in. It's impossible to tell how guys will react to positional changes etc. Still I think that the Vikings, Packers and Bears will all be in the playoff hunt and could all be candidates for 10 wins or more.

thenewfeature06 05-06-2009 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsang74 (Post 1649735)
1. Vikings
Best defense, best running game.
2. Packers
Best offense in the division on paper, defense may struggle but scoring points can win games.
3. Bears
Solid defense but Cutler doesn't have Brandon Marshall or Eddie Royal to throw to and two new starters at tackle make me question if the offense will be much better.
4. Lions
Terrible defense + terrible offense = terrible team. At least they can't be worse than last year.

that was last year i look for this year to be completely different on the defense side now with matthews and raji, they have the pieces to be a top 5 D

familyguy555 05-06-2009 08:18 PM

Watch out everyone. Just kidding of course but I think we could get 3rd.

BGB 05-06-2009 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by familyguy555 (Post 1650492)

I really do think you guys could win 6 games this year. That will give you the most improved award.

hagy34 05-07-2009 12:23 AM

The Vikings are the best team in this division. The pack will be much improved but not there yet. The Bears defense is really going to drop off and Cutler cannot win games by himself. The Lions are the Lions.

marshallb 05-07-2009 07:01 PM

I went with the Vikings. I think they have the best defense in the division and their offense would be #2. Especially if they get Favre. I'd go with Green Bay to finish 2nd. I think their defense is even with Chicago's and their offense is better and has better chemistry. Then I'd go with Chicago. They failed to address their #1 need, which was the pass rush. Chicago got no pass rush last year and the only move they made to address that was bring in a new coach. Detroit is obviously last, but I think they could surprise and win a few games, but they are no where near ready to compete.

GB12 05-07-2009 09:53 PM

Quote:

Over who? The Lions aren't even close to any of the other 3 teams in the division.

The Dynasty 05-07-2009 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GB12 (Post 1652545)
Over who? The Lions aren't even close to any of the other 3 teams in the division.

Yeah I cant see them going over someone and becoming the 3rd team in the division barring a serious injury to a critical player on either the Packers, Bears or Vikings. Although I have liked what the Lions have done in this off season. A potential Franchise QB and TE in the draft. They already have a potential all pro for a wide receiver. The defense has been improved in the off season give it time and the NFC North could be come very competitive.

hagy34 05-07-2009 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Dynasty (Post 1652556)
Yeah I cant see them going over someone and becoming the 3rd team in the division barring a serious injury to a critical player on either the Packers, Bears or Vikings. Although I have liked what the Lions have done in this off season. A potential Franchise QB and TE in the draft. They already have a potential all pro for a wide receiver. The defense has been improved in the off season give it time and the NFC North could be come very competitive.

Still boggles my mind how they pass on a franchise OT (Oher) for a TE (Pettigrew). I mean Stafford and Oher would've been a haul in the first round!!!

Boston 05-07-2009 10:24 PM

Quote:

Yeah, there is no way the Lions leave the cozy confines of that cellar they've become so accustomed to.

Right now I think it's a toss up between the Vikings and Packers. If the Vikings sign Favre I think they could be very, very good this year, provided he's healed enough to be effective. They've got the best running game in the league, several deep threats to stretch the defense when they start creeping up, and a defense that has been pretty good. If the Packers make a successful transition to the 3-4, though, I think they take it. Rodgers is only going to get better, our O-line is solidifying, and Grant might not completely suck for the first half of the season again.

TitleTown088 05-08-2009 01:06 AM

I voted for the Packers because I like the Packers.

There, I spared you guys reading some feel-good BS about I honestly feel( not just my homerism) the Packers are will win and why things are looking up for them next season.

Cerni88 05-08-2009 04:25 AM

What it all comes down to:

Vikings: 3 back up Qb's

Packers: 3 - 4 defense switch. NT a rookie and no one else played there

Lions: Well, they have a QB can work in the system, but they went 0 - 16. Playoffs is exceeding expectations.

Bears: HELLO DEFENSE????

PACKmanN 05-08-2009 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerni88 (Post 1652840)
What it all comes down to:

Vikings: 3 back up Qb's

Packers: 3 - 4 defense switch. NT a rookie and no one else played there

Lions: Well, they have a QB can work in the system, but they went 0 - 16. Playoffs is exceeding expectations.

Bears: HELLO DEFENSE???? and wideouts

i fixed it for you, Raji will play DE and NT, but i would rather have him at NT and Harrell at DE.

StorminNorman 05-10-2009 07:48 PM

People overstate how far behind the Lions are.

Minnesota is my favorite for the Division.

Manic Depressant 05-10-2009 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StorminNorman (Post 1656109)
People overstate how far behind the Lions are.

Minnesota is my favorite for the Division.

The Lions went 0-16 last season and were the worst team in NFL history. I don't really know how you can overstate how far behind they are.

StorminNorman 05-10-2009 10:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic Depressant (Post 1656124)
The Lions went 0-16 last season and were the worst team in NFL history. I don't really know how you can overstate how far behind they are.

Please, thats the lazy illogical response. The Dolphins went 1-15 the year before, they won their division the next year. The Falcons made a similar jump. What happened in 2008 is irrelevant to 2009.

The Lions were not the least talented team last year, they simply had terrible management and terrible coaching. Rob Marinelli was not meant to be a Head Coach. Neither was Cam Cameron. Both are great coaches - just not head coaches.

Plus, the Lions that take the field in 2009 are not the same Lions that took the field in 2008. Their defense will feature five new starters in the back seven (Foote, Peterson, Henry, Buchanan and Delmas). Ernie Sims, arguably the most talented defender on Detroit's roster, will benefit from a system that plays on his strengths.

The Lions offense looks solid. Pettigrew is a major acquisition that will help both running and passing. Kevin Smith had a very strong end to the season and will have the bulk of the carries from Day 1. Calvin Johnson is still Calvin Johnson and Bryant Johnson is an upgrade over anyone who tried to replace Roy Williams.

I think Schwartz has the makings to be a fantastic NFL Head Coach. Gunther Cunningham is a highly respected defensive coordinator and Scott Linehan had terrific success as an offensive coordinator. The upgrade in coaching alone makes the Lions a significantly better team.

Manic Depressant 05-10-2009 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StorminNorman (Post 1656403)
Please, thats the lazy illogical response. The Dolphins went 1-15 the year before, they won their division the next year. The Falcons made a similar jump. What happened in 2008 is irrelevant to 2009.

The Lions were not the least talented team last year, they simply had terrible management and terrible coaching. Rob Marinelli was not meant to be a Head Coach. Neither was Cam Cameron. Both are great coaches - just not head coaches.

Plus, the Lions that take the field in 2009 are not the same Lions that took the field in 2008. Their defense will feature five new starters in the back seven (Foote, Peterson, Henry, Buchanan and Delmas). Ernie Sims, arguably the most talented defender on Detroit's roster, will benefit from a system that plays on his strengths.

The Lions offense looks solid. Pettigrew is a major acquisition that will help both running and passing. Kevin Smith had a very strong end to the season and will have the bulk of the carries from Day 1. Calvin Johnson is still Calvin Johnson and Bryant Johnson is an upgrade over anyone who tried to replace Roy Williams.

I think Schwartz has the makings to be a fantastic NFL Head Coach. Gunther Cunningham is a highly respected defensive coordinator and Scott Linehan had terrific success as an offensive coordinator. The upgrade in coaching alone makes the Lions a significantly better team.

So the Lions are probably a bit better. And so are the Packers, Vikings, and Bears. Every team in the division improved, not just the Lions.

StorminNorman 05-10-2009 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Manic Depressant (Post 1656430)
So the Lions are probably a bit better. And so are the Packers, Vikings, and Bears. Every team in the division improved, not just the Lions.

Did I say no other team improved? Absolutely not.

No team in the division improved MORE than Detroit did, however. Of course no team had more room to improve in than Detroit.

Gay Ork Wang 05-11-2009 01:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StorminNorman (Post 1656454)
Did I say no other team improved? Absolutely not.

No team in the division improved MORE than Detroit did, however. Of course no team had more room to improve in than Detroit.

thats because when u jump from 0 to 10 u improved more than teams that improve from 20 to 22. Still makes u a lot inferior. seriously how where the lions supposed to get worse? lose all Preseason games?

i cant believe that there is a Lions fan out there saying people underestimate the lions after a winless season

tjsunstein 05-11-2009 01:49 AM

I think this thread should be titled 2010 NFC North Champions because Week 17 ends January 3rd. When I saw the title I thought it was solely about Minnesota.

This might be me being a homer but I think the Packers win it with the Bears, Vikings, and Lions following in that order.

I also doubt that Green Bay loses all but one game (7/8 last year, the only one being week 1) decided by 5 points or less.

Yatta! 05-11-2009 09:23 AM

Peter King just rated Chicago as the 4th best team in football. Wow.

Gay Ork Wang 05-11-2009 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Yatta! (Post 1656626)
Peter King just rated Chicago as the 4th best team in football. Wow.

we are that awesome! Another 8-8 season coming!