Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   My hitchhiking adventure (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33710)

someone447 05-09-2009 09:47 PM

My hitchhiking adventure

Well, the time is coming for me to take off on my hitchhiking trip. It's only about two weeks from now. The girl I am supposed to be going with may need surgery on her hip flexor. She will find out in Rome the day before she is supposed to fly to meet me to leave. So she might be out of it, but I know myself enough to know that if I don't go this summer I'll never do it, and it will lead to a snowball effect and I won't end up doing any of the traveling I am planning on. So its looking like I may be taking this trip this summer by myself. It's gonna be a lot tougher, but I'm also gonna have about 100$ more than I expected to have, so I'll be able to figure something out.

Ravens1991 05-09-2009 09:53 PM

This is a crazy idea to do it solo. What did your parents say when you told them what you are doing?

Boston 05-09-2009 09:56 PM

Go for it. The best stories always come from the unknown and the unplanned. It might even end up working out better for you that way, you just have to be open to new things.

jayceheathman 05-09-2009 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone447 (Post 1655142)
Well, the time is coming for me to take off on my hitchhiking trip. It's only about two weeks from now. The girl I am supposed to be going with may need surgery on her hip flexor. She will find out in Rome the day before she is supposed to fly to meet me to leave. So she might be out of it, but I know myself enough to know that if I don't go this summer I'll never do it, and it will lead to a snowball effect and I won't end up doing any of the traveling I am planning on. So its looking like I may be taking this trip this summer by myself. It's gonna be a lot tougher, but I'm also gonna have about 100$ more than I expected to have, so I'll be able to figure something out.

I thought this was stupid but the guy is from El Paso and El Paso=Mexico so if he can survive that then this should be nothing.

Xonraider 05-09-2009 10:05 PM

I once went hitchhiking with my brother Kyle and ended up singing the greatest song in the world to the Devil

someone447 05-09-2009 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayceheathman (Post 1655161)
I thought this was stupid but the guy is from El Paso and El Paso=Mexico so if he can survive that then this should be nothing.

Ya, I went to Juarez, MX twice a week for a year(Juarez is where all the drug violence is happening.) My buddy and I walked a mile into downtown Juarez completely shitfaced and we made it back ok, so I'm not too worried.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boston (Post 1655157)
Go for it. The best stories always come from the unknown and the unplanned. It might even end up working out better for you that way, you just have to be open to new things.

That's why I'm doing it. If I bail on this I won't make my trip to Europe when I graduate, or go to Asia after.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ravens1991 (Post 1655152)
This is a crazy idea to do it solo. What did your parents say when you told them what you are doing?

They were actually supportive. They just told me to be careful and make sure I call them every 3 days. I told my mom I would be going regardless if my friend could come or not, and she is freaking out a little. But she understands, and also knows that I have lived in the middle of major cities for most of my life, so I know how to deal with people who might **** me up.

I was really surprised by my parents reaction. I am eventually hoping to be a war reporter, and they know that, so hitchiking will be part of my job. I think they are just hoping I do it in America for the next few years and decide that isn't the lifestyle for me. But I honestly couldn't ask for better parents. They understand that I need to do things like this, and they know that I will call and come back to see them whenever I get the chance.

Brent 05-09-2009 10:34 PM

If you find your way to Houston, Dallas or around either, let me know and I'll gladly help in any way I can.

someone447 05-09-2009 10:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1655199)
If you find your way to Houston, Dallas or around either, let me know and I'll gladly help in any way I can.

From everything I have read, Texas is a bad place to hitch hike from. So I think I will head west before I head south. I was hoping to make it to the Houston area, but it would be too tough to make it all the way out to El Paso. But if this goes as good as I am expecting, I'll be doing this again sometime, and I'll make sure to hit you up.

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJSchneider (Post 1655206)
Yeah, hit me up if you come near Shreveport, LA.

Same goes for you.

Thanks a lot all you guys.

CJSchneider 05-09-2009 10:38 PM

Yeah, hit me up if you come near Shreveport, LA.

Brent 05-09-2009 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone447 (Post 1655204)
From everything I have read, Texas is a bad place to hitch hike from. So I think I will head west before I head south. I was hoping to make it to the Houston area, but it would be too tough to make it all the way out to El Paso. But if this goes as good as I am expecting, I'll be doing this again sometime, and I'll make sure to hit you up.

Dude, I-35 is like the superhighway from Mexico to Canada so if you get on there, it's likely that there are several truckers who might give you a lift.

someone447 05-09-2009 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1655208)
Dude, I-35 is like the superhighway from Mexico to Canada so if you get on there, it's likely that there are several truckers who might give you a lift.

Ya, getting down to Texas wouldn't be too hard. But from what I have read on a couple hitchhiking message boards, I-10 in Texas is a *****.

Brent 05-09-2009 10:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone447 (Post 1655211)
I-10 in Texas is a *****.

Undoubtedly, given where it goes. But if you need a ride out of Houston, I could pick you up and you can party here before taking you to Austin (if you'd like).

Paranoidmoonduck 05-09-2009 11:15 PM

How far are you planning to go on this trip?

jayceheathman 05-09-2009 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by someone447 (Post 1655211)
Ya, getting down to Texas wouldn't be too hard. But from what I have read on a couple hitchhiking message boards, I-10 in Texas is a *****.

Thats because for 95% of the time you are in the middle of nowhere if you follow I-10 in Texas. If you start in Houston and go west then you got Houston and then San Antonio about 3 hours outside of Houston and then after that its a bunch of nothing until El Paso. I have done the drive from El Paso to Houston and it will take you at least a good 12 hours just to get across the state

brat316 05-10-2009 12:04 AM

where are you planning on ending up, starting from El Paso, and going to like what Canada, or Washington.

Shane P. Hallam 05-10-2009 12:10 AM

yeah. I doubt you'll be heading out East, but if you need any help in PA, I may be able to lend a hand!

PACKmanN 05-10-2009 01:04 AM

me and my cousin plan on hitchhiking to Vancouver for the Olympics :)

tjsunstein 05-10-2009 01:48 AM

Well I doubt you're going to come through NJ at all, would you?

fischbowl 05-10-2009 01:57 AM

Like I said before, follow the Unwritten Book of the Road

SuperKevin 05-10-2009 10:01 AM

I'm guessing at least 2 rapes will occur on this trip

someone447 05-10-2009 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fischbowl (Post 1655348)
Like I said before, follow the Unwritten Book of the Road

Thats what the substance we can't talk about it is for.

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayceheathman (Post 1655243)
Thats because for 95% of the time you are in the middle of nowhere if you follow I-10 in Texas. If you start in Houston and go west then you got Houston and then San Antonio about 3 hours outside of Houston and then after that its a bunch of nothing until El Paso. I have done the drive from El Paso to Houston and it will take you at least a good 12 hours just to get across the state

Ya, the drive from Houston to EP is terrible, easily the most boring drive I've ever taken.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck (Post 1655225)
How far are you planning to go on this trip?

Milwaukee, WI-El Paso, TX-San Diego, CA-Portland, OR-Milwaukee, Wi so it's gonna be a very long way.

If this goes well, I may make a loop east next year, just because I've never been to most of the East Coast.

Brent 05-10-2009 11:04 AM

are you going to be like Dean Moriarty or Sal Paradise on this trip?

someone447 05-10-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 1655492)
are you going to be like Dean Moriarty or Sal Paradise on this trip?

Probably in between the two of them, but leaning towards Sal(at least Sal in the middle of the book.)

TitleTown088 05-10-2009 12:42 PM

I bet you'll end up in a suitcase somewhere in the southwest.

I'll be living in South Dakota in about two weeks. I'd be glad to take you to Mt. Rushmore if you're in the neighborhood.

someone447 05-22-2009 09:56 AM

Well, I am taking this trip alone now. The girl I was going to be going with definitely needs surgery, one of her tendons is separated in two places and she is going to be bedridden for a couple months.

This makes this trip a hell of a lot more difficult. But **** it, I'm going anyway. I'm leaving in a few days.