Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   Summer Job thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=33905)

scottyboy 05-21-2009 10:23 AM

Summer Job thread

Alright guys, summer's upon us (well me at least) and it's time to get a job. This is for all you geezers in here to show your age with past work experience and such. Right now I'm in the major hunt for a job and have found:
Burger King (not specific)
Dunkin Donuts (again, not specific in which job)
A&P cashier
KMart Stockroom/Unload associate
Michaels Stocking
Babies R Us "team member"
Pizza Hut- driver or waiter or whatever.

these are just some options I found today. So any advice or questions on places you've worked or wanna work, post 'em here!

vidae 05-21-2009 10:25 AM

The only thing I can tell you is that out of all the jobs I've had, working in food was by far the worst. If I were you I'd stay away from stuff like that. Although delivery for Pizza Hut isn't bad I hear, you make a decent amount through tips, but if it's anything like a restaurant then your initial starting salary will be pretty low.

I think working somewhere like Borders would be kinda cool.

terribletowel39 05-21-2009 10:26 AM

One of the better jobs I had during summers and what not was Shipping/Recieving at Sears (kinda like your KMart job) you are moving all day and lifting and carrying things, so it kinda keeps you in shape as opposed to sitting all day or standing all day. And MOST of the time Shipping and Recieving folks are cool.

someone447 05-21-2009 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboy (Post 1670433)
Alright guys, summer's upon us (well me at least) and it's time to get a job. This is for all you geezers in here to show your age with past work experience and such. Right now I'm in the major hunt for a job and have found:
Burger King (not specific)
Dunkin Donuts (again, not specific in which job)
A&P cashier
KMart Stockroom/Unload associate
Michaels Stocking
Babies R Us "team member"
Pizza Hut- driver or waiter or whatever.

these are just some options I found today. So any advice or questions on places you've worked or wanna work, post 'em here!

Lucky you, I had been looking for a job since August, but living in a town of 10k people which has a school with another 10k students mean there are no where near enough jobs to go around.

Waiting tables is a crappy job, but you can make quite a bit of money if you are good at it.

Whistler6 05-21-2009 10:35 AM

Last summer at 21, I worked 4 overnight shifts a week at Holiday Gas Station...easy, read magazines, listen to music, get paid extra for working through the night, etc...

Then 3 days a week I'd ump 4 slow pitch softball games. BEST JOB EVER. 17 bucks a game, no tax. If you can get hooked up as an umpire, men's bar league or Parks an Recreation

'cuse-213 05-21-2009 10:45 AM

Ive been looking for a job for months. SO HARD. I have yet to get any type of call back and when I call them to try and set up an interview, I basically get blown off. The closest I came to getting one was Grounds Crew for a golf club which would have been awesome. Free golf.

Damix 05-21-2009 10:50 AM

Look at your town, as they usually hire people during the summer for parks and recreation and whatnot.

JFLO 05-21-2009 10:52 AM

I'm hoping to get a job at Crew Stadium or Nationwide Arena in Columbus. Either grounds crew or something of that nature. People don't know, but jobs at venues pays pretty decent money, at least in Columbus it does.

The_Dude 05-21-2009 11:16 AM

I'll be teaching Summer School for the nincompoops who failed 2 out of 3 trimesters of Social Studies.

I don't care for teaching during the summer in a non-air-conditioned building with kids who are too lazy to pass... but the money is too nice to pass up.

Addict 05-21-2009 11:18 AM

so far I've got nothing, but I'm looking for a job in a callcenter. Yeah it's horrible work, but it's a decent enough salary, flexible hours and easy.

SuperKevin 05-21-2009 11:53 AM

Work at Babies R Us and then get me a discount on baby stuff

HawkeyeFan 05-21-2009 11:54 AM

When I was 16 - 17 I worked as a Dishwasher, it sucks so bad!

After that, I mowed lawn for my aunt and uncles campground, now that, was a great job, I miss it.

I worked at Hy-Vee in the kitchen, it sucked lol

And now I work at Best Buy, I have for about 9 months. And I love it.

scottyboy 05-21-2009 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperKevin (Post 1670505)
Work at Babies R Us and then get me a discount on baby stuff

sounds good. it's really close AND I'm willing to bet there are more girls working there than the other places...

the decider13 05-21-2009 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboy (Post 1670508)
sounds good. it's really close AND I'm willing to bet there are more girls working there than the other places...

That is the same reason my friend started working at Bed, Bath and Beyond. Tons of girls working there lol

Brent 05-21-2009 11:57 AM

Don't work food service jobs, unless it's waiting tables and you don't have to share tips. Best jobs I had in high school were a photo printing place and Petsmart. Honestly, though, stockroom jobs are awesome. When I worked the stockroom at Nike, we goofed around a lot and never dealt with customers. It was so easy.

SuperKevin 05-21-2009 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scottyboy (Post 1670508)

Young Single Moms FTW. At least you know they put out

CJSchneider 05-21-2009 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 1670473)
I'll be teaching Summer School for the nincompoops who failed 2 out of 3 trimesters of Social Studies.

I don't care for teaching during the summer in a non-air-conditioned building with kids who are too lazy to pass... but the money is too nice to pass up.

I usually teach summer school here, and I agree the money is good.

someone447 05-21-2009 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperKevin (Post 1670517)
Young Single Moms FTW. At least you know they put out

Either that or girls looking to be moms. Those are the scary ones.

TitleTown088 05-21-2009 12:19 PM

I work for mommy at a family owned buisness in the summer.

SuperMcGee 05-21-2009 12:30 PM

Still working my campus job during the summer.

It will be terribly slow and the summer session students are a big dropoff from who would normally be around. There's some more physical work in the summer, which is good, but I'll probably be on SWDC for 5 hours a day. At least my coworkers will be a lot of the same people. There's also plenty of stuff to do around my shifts in that area. I'm only working 2 days a week, anyway.

AntoinCD 05-21-2009 12:30 PM

I would strongly advise against getting any outbound sales call centre work if everything above falls through. Bar work is the way to go

SuperKevin 05-21-2009 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AntoinCD (Post 1670562)
I would strongly advise against getting any outbound sales call centre work if everything above falls through. Bar work is the way to go

He's like 17 years old

Staubach12 05-21-2009 12:35 PM

I'm going to be working at Taco Bell. FML.

Sniper 05-21-2009 12:36 PM

Working at Applebee's until late June. Then, I go to Montreal for an internship at a radio station and might get a job at Cage Aux Sports.

CJSchneider 05-21-2009 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Staubach12 (Post 1670570)
I'm going to be working at Taco Bell. FML.

Cheer up - Grilled Steak Burrito Supreme FTW!