Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   New York Giants Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   The Official 2009 NYK Draft Discussion Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34142)

bigbluedefense 06-08-2009 10:07 AM

The Official 2009 NYK Draft Discussion Thread
 
GO KNICKS!



So who are we gonna draft? I know its a "reach", but I'm a big Ty Lawson fan. I hate Tabeit, I really hope we don't go after him or the Euro point guard everyone loves.

I wouldn't mind Stephon Curry, but his frame scares me. He's so small. But if we can get a guy like Stoudemire in FA, maybe even Lebron (im dreaming), a guy who can demand a double, we need to surround that kind of player with shooters.

As much as I loathe him, Galanari can be one of those 3 ball shooters, and Curry could be another.

Giantsfan1080 06-08-2009 10:21 AM

I don't think Rubio or Thabeet will be ther at 8 so the Knicks would have to trade up to get them and I'm not sure how much firepower they really have. It is possible they use Lee or Robinson as trade bait but I'm not so sure a team would bite. As of right now I think Curry and Flynn are the 2 options with Lawson having an outside chance. I'm a UNC fan so I really like Lawson as well as he's gotten a ton better since his freshmen year and really steps it up when it matters. I'm not sure why he doesn't get as much hype.

bigbluedefense 06-08-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 1689996)
I don't think Rubio or Thabeet will be ther at 8 so the Knicks would have to trade up to get them and I'm not sure how much firepower they really have. It is possible they use Lee or Robinson as trade bait but I'm not so sure a team would bite. As of right now I think Curry and Flynn are the 2 options with Lawson having an outside chance. I'm a UNC fan so I really like Lawson as well as he's gotten a ton better since his freshmen year and really steps it up when it matters. I'm not sure why he doesn't get as much hype.

I love Lawson. The only concern I have is his height. We won't have an answer to that until he gets measured. We already have Nate Robinson, so I don't know if we need another 5 9" point guard.


But if he can measure in at 6", Id love him. He has speed, good passing, he can hit a jumpshot, he can drive to the hoop, he can D up, I really have no complaints with him.

Im not sure how good of a point Curry can be. He's more of a shooting guard. We need a true point.

I wouldn't mind trading Nate Robinson while his stock is still relatively high.

Giantsfan1080 06-08-2009 10:26 AM

Nate Robinson isn't really a PG at all. He's a me first player while Lawson looks to always pass but can shoot really well. I would trade Nate in a second but I still they are looking to deal Lee which sucks. Curry is a SG all the way and in D'Antoni's system he would have plent of socring opportunities. Curry needs to put the ball on the floor and drive a little better but overall he'd be a good fit.

bigbluedefense 06-08-2009 10:30 AM

I don't mind letting go of Lee. I love Lee, but he can't block shots, he can't score, all he could do is rebound.

He's Kurt Thomas.

And he'll demand decent money, and we need to save as much money as we can. I honestly wouldn't mind us cleaning house of everyone except Chandler. He's the only player I like on our team.

I personally hope DAntoni is gone too. I hate his brand of basketball. Curry will need someone to pick and roll with to be successful. If we can land Amare, him and Curry on pick and roll will be deadly.

If they defend Curry, pass it off to Stoudemire and let him drive to the hoop. If they pick up Stoudemire, Curry will hit that mid range all day.

My problem with Curry is I don't know if he can create his own shot. He'll need another guy to demand attention away from him.

Giantsfan1080 06-08-2009 11:35 AM

Stoudemire wants to come here because of D'Antoni so it's either one or the other.

gpngc 06-08-2009 12:11 PM

The two most likely scenarios are Curry at 8 or trading for Rubio.

We screwed up not trading Nate last year fresh off the slam dunk contest and while he was filling up stat sheets because we had no one else to score.

I loved Lee but his defense is just terrible. Sign and trade would be ideal, but we need a big and no one wants to trade good ones.

Francessa (who nailed the CC to the Yankees signing before last season even ended) seems to think Bosh will come to NY in 2010 and that will help lure Wade or LeBron as well. I just hope we don't end up with a 40-something year old Steve Nash.

I loved what I saw from Galo last year, especially defensively. We need to remember he's like 20 years old.

Giantsfan1080 06-08-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 1690072)
The two most likely scenarios are Curry at 8 or trading for Rubio.

We screwed up not trading Nate last year fresh off the slam dunk contest and while he was filling up stat sheets because we had no one else to score.

I loved Lee but his defense is just terrible. Sign and trade would be ideal, but we need a big and no one wants to trade good ones.

Francessa (who nailed the CC to the Yankees signing before last season even ended) seems to think Bosh will come to NY in 2010 and that will help lure Wade or LeBron as well. I just hope we don't end up with a 40-something year old Steve Nash.

I loved what I saw from Galo last year, especially defensively. We need to remember he's like 20 years old.

Not for nothing but every one knew CC was going where the money was and that the Yanks were going to throw a ton at him. The Knicks will be going after every big FA in 2010 but Amare has said he wants to play for D'Antoni again. I'd take Amare over Bosh.

gpngc 06-08-2009 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 1690076)
Not for nothing but every one knew CC was going where the money was and that the Yanks were going to throw a ton at him. The Knicks will be going after every big FA in 2010 but Amare has said he wants to play for D'Antoni again. I'd take Amare over Bosh.

Not me. Amare is a headcase with injury problems. Bosh is under the radar because of where he plays but in reality hes one of the game's top bigs. He'll give you 20-10 without blinking and doesn't have the injury concerns and foul trouble you get with Amare. Plus he's a better shooter which fits the scheme.

bigbluedefense 06-08-2009 01:59 PM

I rather have Amare. My concern is injuries, but the man is a beast. Bosh is too frail and finesse. We need toughness. This is the Knicks. None of that ***** **** on our team.


Which is why I hate Galo so much.


With the Cavs proving that theyre an absolute joke outside of Lebron (Mo Williams is garbage), I think our chances of getting him are slightly higher now. More realistically, we'd just land Stoudemire, but hey, its a start.

Giantsfan1080 06-08-2009 02:01 PM

Is it really possible they can sign both Wade and Lebron?

bigbluedefense 06-08-2009 02:05 PM

everything ive read said we can afford 2 max contracts.


would we want Lebron and Wade though? Id just want 1 of them and compliment em with Amare. Theres not enough basketballs on the court for both Lebron and Wade.

Im pretty sure Wade wont sign with the Knicks either.

Giantsfan1080 06-08-2009 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1690217)
everything ive read said we can afford 2 max contracts.


would we want Lebron and Wade though? Id just want 1 of them and compliment em with Amare. Theres not enough basketballs on the court for both Lebron and Wade.

Im pretty sure Wade wont sign with the Knicks either.

I'm not really sure if he'd want to come to NY but I think both of them are pretty unselfish. I think they could work together because they'd want to make history. They aren't as selfish as Kobe.

bigbluedefense 06-08-2009 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 1690227)
I'm not really sure if he'd want to come to NY but I think both of them are pretty unselfish. I think they could work together because they'd want to make history. They aren't as selfish as Kobe.

Is Chris Paul's contract up in 2010 also?

Id walk on lava barefoot to get Chris Paul in a Knick uniform.

Giantsfan1080 06-08-2009 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1690233)
Is Chris Paul's contract up in 2010 also?

Id walk on lava barefoot to get Chris Paul in a Knick uniform.

On Rotoworld it says he's a FA in 2010/2011.

Giantsfan1080 06-08-2009 02:23 PM

I just found this also:


Eurosport Yahoo! is reporting that the Knicks have a deal in place to acquire Sergio Rodriguez from the Blazers on draft night (June 25).

Unfortunately, how the deal will go down isn't mentioned, so it has to be considered just a rumor at this point. It's no secret that Rodriguez is unhappy in Portland and the Knicks would probably love to have him after last year's disaster at point guard. Stay tuned.

bigbluedefense 06-08-2009 02:37 PM

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.


I dunno how i feel about that.

Wootylicous 06-08-2009 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1689983)
GO KNICKS!



So who are we gonna draft? I know its a "reach", but I'm a big Ty Lawson fan. I hate Tabeit, I really hope we don't go after him or the Euro point guard everyone loves.

I wouldn't mind Stephon Curry, but his frame scares me. He's so small. But if we can get a guy like Stoudemire in FA, maybe even Lebron (im dreaming), a guy who can demand a double, we need to surround that kind of player with shooters.

As much as I loathe him, Galanari can be one of those 3 ball shooters, and Curry could be another.

How dare you ?!?!

Gallinari is a stud. I like him. Shame on you!

bigbluedefense 06-08-2009 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wo_oT88 (Post 1690265)
How dare you ?!?!

Gallinari is a stud. I like him. Shame on you!

he sucks.

id trade him if we could.

Mr. Hero 06-10-2009 02:39 AM

Here's my ranking
Griffin
Ricky Rubio, love this kid, he plays basketball a few moves ahead of his opponents
James Harden, I love guys who are as smart and skilled as him, he's such a team first player and proved at the combine he is a very good athlete.
Jordan Hill He's got the length and athleticism to play center for this team and he's just a warrior, kid's raw since this is only his fourth year playing basketball but he's improved a lot and has great work ethic. He'll come in as a plus rebounder and defender, and with his midrange j he'll be a useful offensive player.
Hasheem Thabeet He's a good kid who's putting the work, he's a big project so I'm not a big fan but once he gets the game he has the potential to be a game changer.
Stephen Curry Another super smart skilled kid after the raw big men. Curry has good size for a PG and showed he wasn't a bad athlete. With his BBall IQ and shot I do think he could end up similar to a prime bibby.
Johnny Flynn I like his leadership and toughness a lot, he understands his job as the point but has the ability to keep teams honest with his scoring as well.
Terrence Williams I think he has the potential to be artest without the chucking or mental problems. He's been improving so much and his game has matured tremendously since things finally clicked in his head after his sophomore year. His shooting has gotten better, he's been running that louisville team and he's already a tremendous defender and rebounder. Never be a star but he'll be a guy who could start on any team because he'll help a team with everything.
Demar DeRozan Seems like a nice kid with good d and a good midrange game, too much of a project for my tastes.

Mr. Hero 06-10-2009 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 1689996)
I don't think Rubio or Thabeet will be ther at 8 so the Knicks would have to trade up to get them and I'm not sure how much firepower they really have. It is possible they use Lee or Robinson as trade bait but I'm not so sure a team would bite. As of right now I think Curry and Flynn are the 2 options with Lawson having an outside chance. I'm a UNC fan so I really like Lawson as well as he's gotten a ton better since his freshmen year and really steps it up when it matters. I'm not sure why he doesn't get as much hype.

Lee and nate are RFA and as such can not be traded until free agency starts, which is after the draft. So our best chip is probably mobley's insurance covered contract.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1690012)
I don't mind letting go of Lee. I love Lee, but he can't block shots, he can't score, all he could do is rebound.

He's Kurt Thomas.

And he'll demand decent money, and we need to save as much money as we can. I honestly wouldn't mind us cleaning house of everyone except Chandler. He's the only player I like on our team.

I personally hope DAntoni is gone too. I hate his brand of basketball. Curry will need someone to pick and roll with to be successful. If we can land Amare, him and Curry on pick and roll will be deadly.

If they defend Curry, pass it off to Stoudemire and let him drive to the hoop. If they pick up Stoudemire, Curry will hit that mid range all day.

My problem with Curry is I don't know if he can create his own shot. He'll need another guy to demand attention away from him.

You're really bagging on lee, he's a very good finisher around the hoop, one of the smarter passing big men in this league and he's improved every year and now actually has a midrange jumper. His D sucked this year but remember he's only 6'9" and was going up against much bigger and stronger centers all year long. I too won't be too upset if we S&T him away but if we re-sign him for something at 8 mil or less per I won't be upset either.

And how can you hate D'Antoni's brand of basketball, it's most team-iest way to play the game as it's all about making quick passes, running quick plays and getting good shots quickly. Few coaches really utilize their whole team as well as mike d. And don't give me that "he doesn't coach d" ********. Pass adjusted his teams regularly ranked in the top ten in phoenix and he's always appreciated and used strong defenders well. The pace at which his teams play and the lack of legit center sized big men that fight his teams are the reasons for that myth but just like the you can't win a title playing like that myth it's bogus.

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1690209)
I rather have Amare. My concern is injuries, but the man is a beast. Bosh is too frail and finesse. We need toughness. This is the Knicks. None of that ***** **** on our team.


Which is why I hate Galo so much.


With the Cavs proving that theyre an absolute joke outside of Lebron (Mo Williams is garbage), I think our chances of getting him are slightly higher now. More realistically, we'd just land Stoudemire, but hey, its a start.

BBD I think you just need to see gallo play more and you'll realize he's a tough kid, plus he's very smart, which is why he was a good defender even with the bad back. My buddy made me watch a bunch of his italian league games and the kid was lamar odom if odom had a pair and could lead a team. I started off as a gallo hater but by the draft last year I was stocked about this kid. I guarantee you that know that he's going to be healthy gallo will make you eat those words.

Mr. Hero 06-10-2009 02:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigbluedefense (Post 1690304)
he sucks.

id trade him if we could.

Kids 6'10" and growing with a simply wet jumper, point forward skills, a well developed post up and midrange game as well as very good defensive instincts and understanding of how to use his length to harass quicker players on that end of the court. Add to that that the kid just quitely goes to work and battles for his team and makes his team-mates better and I like the kid even more than chandler who i'm very fond of.

Mr. Hero 06-10-2009 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 1690244)
I just found this also:


Eurosport Yahoo! is reporting that the Knicks have a deal in place to acquire Sergio Rodriguez from the Blazers on draft night (June 25).

Unfortunately, how the deal will go down isn't mentioned, so it has to be considered just a rumor at this point. It's no secret that Rodriguez is unhappy in Portland and the Knicks would probably love to have him after last year's disaster at point guard. Stay tuned.

probably the balkman trade exception, not bad in case we get offered something decent for duhon at the deadline, gives us a league proven vet to play with our rookie. *shrug*

bigbluedefense 06-10-2009 01:43 PM

I really hope Galo proves to be a gamer, but I just don't see it. He's skinny, he's finesse, he's just not what I look for in an NBA power forward.

I like how D'Antoni's offense opens up the floor, but his brand of basketball is just the opposite of what I personally believe in.

I believe in hard nosed defense, and a half court offense. Like the old school Pistons, 90s Knicks type of philosophy. D'Antoni is the opposite of that, its running like hell, kicking it out, stretching a defense and hitting jumpshots, and getting back occasionally on defense.

The inside defense is weakened with a smaller lineup, and it has relegated "defensive specialists" who try to compensate for the overall lack of defense from the team. I don't like it.

LTgiants 06-10-2009 02:23 PM

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archiv...t_night_trade/


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:15 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.