Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   The Musicians Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34396)

Staubach12 07-04-2009 12:04 PM

The Musicians Thread

Discuss what instruments you play, and the finer points of playing music.

I started playing guitar about a year ago and can play guitar and bass guitar. I play mostly acoustic on a kind of crappy Washburn, but my older brother has a Stratocaster that I like to mess around on.

CashmoneyDrew 07-04-2009 12:08 PM

This isn't a bad idea for a thread at all. I've played the drums for 11 years. Got an alright Pearl export kit right now, but it's over at a friend's house now so I don't get to play as much. However, my roommate just picked up a kit for our house in Murfreesboro so I plan on giving him some lessons and jamming on that son of a ***** a lot. Also, After playing with just a regular single pedal kick for 10 years, I've recently tried to learn to play a double bass pedal and it's kicking my ass. So much tougher than I thought it would be.

Shane P. Hallam 07-04-2009 12:08 PM

I just sing really. I'm hoping one summer to learn the acoustic guitar though.

CashmoneyDrew 07-04-2009 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBond93 (Post 1714359)

I bet your singing voice is like a mixture between Fergie and Jesus.

Shane P. Hallam 07-04-2009 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey (Post 1714360)
I bet your singing voice is like a mixture between Fergie and Jesus.

You actually hit it right on the nose.

Paul 07-04-2009 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBond93 (Post 1714359)

I want proof in your next vlog.

ImBrotherCain 07-04-2009 12:22 PM

I dabble in guitar. Mainly acoustic and i attempt to write my own stuff.

Mostly i am a singer and actually have an audition coming up in a week or so.

senormysterioso 07-04-2009 12:25 PM

I play guitar, banjo, and I can fake it on drums and keys. I have a Takamine E series acoustic, a tele and a strat, A deering banjo, and I have a cheap CB drum kit and a nice remo djembe.

Gay Ork Wang 07-04-2009 12:25 PM

Ive played acoustic guitar for 7 years now. Trying to learn the Bourree from Bach but thats a *****

Paranoidmoonduck 07-04-2009 12:35 PM

I dabble in tons of stuff (guitar, bass, piano, violin) but I'm not particularly wonderful at any of them. Over the last two years I've played bass more than anything else (I just bought a fretless Warwick Corvette earlier this year), but I've been playing a lot of piano lately for a piece I'm composing.

AntoinCD 07-04-2009 12:42 PM

I play the flute, tin whistle, guitar, bazouki, mandolin and bodhran. All mainly Irish stuff. I have also played on tour with dancers from Riverdance in Sardinia and France. I wish I could sing though.

keylime_5 07-04-2009 12:44 PM

been a drummer for about a decade. Bonham style ;)

themaninblack 07-04-2009 01:25 PM

I play guitar a little bit and have been for about 4 years. I used to take lessons n stuff but I don't really play much anymore for whatever reason. I'm really thinking about selling my electric and getting a cheap little acoustic because I rarely ever play through an amp. Any recommendations?

MetSox17 07-04-2009 03:35 PM

I sing and and i've played trumpet going on 12 years now. Three of them professionally. I'm learning to play guitar and vihuela though.

CashmoneyDrew 07-04-2009 04:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 1714390)
been a drummer for about a decade. Bonham style ;)

I started playing when I was 10 so I didn't really have an inspiration when I started or anything, but Bonzo is definitely the most influential drummer for me. Easy.

jayceheathman 07-05-2009 12:28 AM

I played the recorder in elementary school.

bantx 07-05-2009 12:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jayceheathman (Post 1714792)
I played the recorder in elementary school.

Me too I could play the titanic song on that *****

WMD 07-05-2009 12:55 AM

I can't play any instruments. I would like to learn the harpsichord sometime, though.. I'd also like to learn the Sitar which I doubt will ever happen.

senormysterioso 07-05-2009 01:27 AM

check out some of the crap i've recorded through the years. Might be good for a laugh.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=937610

Paranoidmoonduck 07-05-2009 03:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lions WMD (Post 1714806)
I can't play any instruments. I would like to learn the harpsichord sometime, though.. I'd also like to learn the Sitar which I doubt will ever happen.

I tried the Sitar once. You have to understand though, if you want to learn to play it like it's supposed to, it's a monstrous commitment. Indian music theory is crazy.

Quote:

Originally Posted by senormysterioso
check out some of the crap i've recorded through the years. Might be good for a laugh.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/page...?bandID=937610

This is pretty good, if a little by the numbers at times. I assume you're the one playing guitar and singing but how much of the recording and engineering of it did you handle? The sound of Santa Maria and Quicksand are pretty cool, although I wanted to see Santa Maria get way more ambitious.

WMD 07-05-2009 03:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paranoidmoonduck (Post 1714850)
I tried the Sitar once. You have to understand though, if you want to learn to play it like it's supposed to, it's a monstrous commitment. Indian music theory is crazy.

Yeah, that's why I said it'll probably never happen :(

awfullyquiet 07-05-2009 09:28 AM

engineering is the defining point of recorded music. it sucks. to translate a live sound into a quality recorded sound requires so much patience.

my last recorded bit took 5 months of production (on top of a work schedule) to get to sound right, and raw.

that said. i prefer the stylings of keith moon to bonham

senormysterioso 07-05-2009 09:52 AM

I did all the recording. I had a pro tools LE rig but I sold it a few years ago. I don't play as much as I used to. But I still work at a recording studio with a really great live room, pro tools hd, a yamaha board, nice mics, etc. I got an associates degree in recording and music technology actually.

awfullyquiet 07-05-2009 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by senormysterioso (Post 1714891)
I did all the recording. I had a pro tools LE rig but I sold it a few years ago. I don't play as much as I used to. But I still work at a recording studio with a really great live room, pro tools hd, a yamaha board, nice mics, etc. I got an associates degree in recording and music technology actually.

to be fair, i didn't listen.

i was just stating a fact.

nice mics = win.

when i recorded my last album, we went to chicago recording co, did all the tracking, and then went home and my brother plugged away at it for 5 months until he thought he had something good. the good news is is that we're both of version-control state of mind and that the way he set certain envelopes and adjusted the drumming tone and color in production (which FYI, is the most difficult part about recording), its mindboggling how it all gets done.

that and mastering is an artform too which i do not understand.

BoneKrusher 07-05-2009 01:45 PM

i've played bass for several years, i use a Trace Elliott rig and a Peavey Ceres bass and currently work with a Classic Rock cover band called Under The Gun.