Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   NFC East Division Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=92)
-   -   Best DB in the NFC East? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=35548)

Sniper 09-23-2009 06:04 PM

Best DB in the NFC East?

Who is it?

D-Unit 09-23-2009 07:27 PM

Corey Webster.

...and Newman having one bad doesn't make him a terrible player.

Hurricanes25 09-23-2009 07:28 PM

I voted for Corey Webster. I think he is a top 5 CB in the league.

Giantsfan1080 09-23-2009 11:08 PM

I'm going Webster also. Call me a homer but since the Buffalo game in '07 he's totally shutdown everyone. Brown is a close 2nd.

eaglesalltheway 09-23-2009 11:11 PM

I voted other, Quentin Mikell. I say Brown is a better overall corner than Asante though...

Thumper 09-23-2009 11:15 PM

I decided upon Asante Samuel just because he is the most exciting to watch, is one of the best CB in playoff history, is probably the best zone corner in the NFL and he did really well last season. Plus, he is by far the most vocal leader of the group. Plus, I just like him the best and I decided to let the homer in me have this one.

Corey Webster and Sheldon Brown are better in man coverage though.

D-Unit 09-24-2009 02:57 PM

Corey Webster is no longer underrated, so you can stop that talk Giants fans. ;)

DiG 09-24-2009 03:00 PM

much as id love to vote for rogers, webster has been very impressive. full body of work ill take asante but right now web is playing great.

D-Unit 09-24-2009 03:01 PM

I wanted Roy to make Webster look silly on Sunday, but he only did it once. Romo didn't target him too many times though. Gotta credit that to Webster.

Don Vito 09-25-2009 03:52 AM

You guys don't think Landry is that caliber yet? I know he is a very good player and a great talent but you get to watch him more than I do.

eaglesalltheway 09-25-2009 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Don Vito (Post 1809163)
You guys don't think Landry is that caliber yet? I know he is a very good player and a great talent but you get to watch him more than I do.

He doesn't get to make as much of an impact due to his role in the Skins D, and thus, doesn't get the attention he probably should... Defintiely one of the top "other" choices, IMO.

Thumper 09-25-2009 05:42 PM

Landry has really failed to impress me. I mean look what he did in college, he was a monster and now look at him in the pros... Landry is stuck with the same problem Taylor Mays is, the coaching staff does not implement them in a fashion where they're going to be able stop the run and be an imposing force the way they could be. Both of them have potential to be off the charts good but they're not used in a way that it highlights their best skills.

If either of them were in the Eagles FS spot where the FS is an attacker like Dawkins was they would be consensus all pros. But... we don't have any evidence to support that. And since Landry plays center field he doesn't get to show off his physical style and blitzing ability. And since all we have to compare him to are other center fielders are Ed Reed, Michael Griffin and others Landry is clearly not the best FS in the league. In terms of physical talent he might be #1 since Sean Taylor left us (RIP) but in terms of on the field impact he is probably not even top 10.

Rosebud 09-25-2009 09:21 PM

I voted for Corey but seeing Asante with more votes than Sheldon Brown is wrong. And Laron Landry definitely needs to be an option as he's the third best DB in the East, at least IMO.

FUNBUNCHER 09-25-2009 09:26 PM

Landry is having a down year thus far. Lots of missed tackles and bad angles to the ball carrier. He lacks great ball instincts and too often goes for the knockout hit instead of the solid tackle.

Playing the 'angel' position for the Skins doesn't help, but he has been given more of a role in the run game this year and he hasn't flashed.
Horton right now is the best safety playing for the Skins, IMO.

Go_Eagles77 09-30-2009 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 1809741)
I voted for Corey but seeing Asante with more votes than Sheldon Brown is wrong. And Laron Landry definitely needs to be an option as he's the third best DB in the East, at least IMO.

I strongly disagree. From what I have seen of him I wouldn't even say he is outperforming Chris Horton, let alone most of the DBs in the east.

Rosebud 10-01-2009 02:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 (Post 1816600)
I strongly disagree. From what I have seen of him I wouldn't even say he is outperforming Chris Horton, let alone most of the DBs in the east.

Are we talking about this season or his career so far? He's clearly having a down season but I think that is an anomaly and he'll bounce back to the guy he was last year, and if he does that I think he's clearly the number 3 DB in the east.

Go_Eagles77 10-01-2009 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 1817483)
Are we talking about this season or his career so far? He's clearly having a down season but I think that is an anomaly and he'll bounce back to the guy he was last year, and if he does that I think he's clearly the number 3 DB in the east.

If we're going by last year I'd still take Quintin Mikell and Asante Samuel over him.

Rosebud 10-01-2009 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Go_Eagles77 (Post 1817580)
If we're going by last year I'd still take Quintin Mikell and Asante Samuel over him.

Well, that's like, your opinion man.

JFLO 10-01-2009 04:43 PM

Webster is quickly becoming one of the best defensive players in the game, let alone DB.

Go_Eagles77 10-01-2009 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rosebud (Post 1817957)
Well, that's like, your opinion man.

Never said it wasn't. I think that's pretty much implied in 95% of the posts on this forum.

Giantsfan1080 10-01-2009 05:13 PM

Chris Horton was named as one of the backups now by the way.

Toneloc498 10-02-2009 12:29 PM

Going with Webster, he has had 12 passes tossed his way, 3 completions for 22 yards (Roy Williams 18 yard catch, S Moss -2 yard catch, S Moss 6 yard catch) and has gotten 1 interception. Last year he had one of if not the best stats of any cornerback in the NFL.

SeanTaylorRIP 10-11-2009 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 1818007)
Chris Horton was named as one of the backups now by the way.

He's still better than Landry though.

bigbluedefense 10-11-2009 08:49 PM

it's been a bad year for Landry.

With Kenny Phillips going on IR, I think Mikell has solidified himself as the best safety in the division this year.

SeanTaylorRIP 10-12-2009 09:30 AM

Landry really has never come close to reaching his potential. He's never been bad but he's just the same. He won't ever get beat deep, he'll hit you down the middle but he doesn't make great breaks on the ball and he can't and never has been able to tackle worth a crap. He just launches his body to the point that a 170 pound receiver could bounce off of him let alone a RB. Chris Horton really has been the 2nd best player on our defense this year. He's one of the surest tackling DB's in the league, he's a playmaker and is solid in coverage. His benching was all politics. Greg Blache was feeling heat for the play of our defense so his cop out was Chris Horton. It's so easy to put the blame on a guy making less that 500k a year instead of blaming the high paid pssies like Deangelo Hall or the franchise safety in LaRon Landry.