Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Baltimore Ravens Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=67)
-   -   Maryland Terps Basketball Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=36481)

DiG 11-13-2009 11:27 AM

Maryland Terps Basketball Thread

Here we go baby!!! Tonights the night. I am feelin good about this year and the upcoming few years. The season starts tonight with Charleston Southern. It should be a hardcore whoopin.

It's exciting to finally have young powerful big men to play down low. Vasquez is going to put up huge numbers this year scoring and with assists. I think hes got a legit shot at ACC player of the year.

The guys that really need to step up this year for the Terps to make a run are Milbourne and Hayes. Milbourne has gotten better each year and hopefully that continues this year. It should help him that pressure is taken off him this year in the power game now that we have big men. Hayes came on at the end of last year but for the Terps to make a deep run hes got to be consistent from the 3 pt line. If Mosley takes strides this year as a sophomore he could be a really dangerous player. I expect much of the same from Bowie. Hes so fun to watch play with his energy and ability to get inside to the basket.

Tobias Harris is visiting the campus this weekend. Lets keep our fingers crossed. If he signs they are saying we will have the #1 recruiting class in the nation.

dcarey20 11-13-2009 02:34 PM

They should be good this year, that's for sure. Tobias Harris to the Terps would be amazing.

2 Live Crew 11-13-2009 02:46 PM

Haha sweet...didn't know you were a terps fan Dirty...I love Terps B-ball.

Looking forward to this year. Hopefully Vasquez can keep his head on straight most of the year and he has the ability to be ACC player of the year.

Looking for Mosley to be much improved on the offensive side, he plays great D already.

Looking forward to having some actual big men underneath this year as you said. However, Dino is ineligible for the first semester I think due to academic reasons...that hurts. But I've heard good things about our freshman bigs so I'm looking forward to it.

Also, it seems Gary is getting it done in terms of recruiting recently. I had been dissapointed with him in that regard for awhile. Hopefully the Terps will rise back to the top of the basketball ranks soon.

PalmerToCJ 11-14-2009 04:00 AM

I'm all about college basketball. What's your take on Williams given the last couple years?

You all should post in the off topic college basketball thread, it makes me happy.

DiG 11-17-2009 10:59 AM

terps came in at 25 in the new ap poll. very promising first game. new freshman big men looked very good for so early on in the year. hopefully they keep it up. it was good to see that other guys stepped up and shot well when vasquez had a bad shooting night. and even though he shot poorly he was a machine running the point with 13 assist and 2 turnovers. another game tonight.

EdReedUnstoppable 11-17-2009 02:12 PM

Hopefully Ill get out to more than 1 game this year. Last year I went to the Miami game and we got a big W I think the Terps need to give me season tickets and we'll win all of our home games.

SuperKevin 11-17-2009 02:15 PM

Hoping Tobias Harris commits this week. That'd be 4 Top 100 players in 2010

ccB 11-17-2009 02:22 PM

Jordan Williams is going to be a monster for us this year, and will continue to be beastly in the future.

I read Tobias Harris had nothing but good things to say about his visit to College Park so that is good but as we learned from the Lance Stephenson saga last year, it's better not to give your hopes up based on what these recruits say. In other news we received a commitment from F Ashton Pankey, I think this is a nice sign, further bolstering our very solid recruiting class. If we can add Harris to a class that already contains, Terrance Ross, Mychal Parker, Ashton Pankey, and Terrell Stoglin we are in excellent shape for the next few years.

2 Live Crew 11-25-2009 10:36 AM

Looked sloppy against Cincy. Very poor shooting night. Vasquez tryin to do too much and taking some ill advised shots. Mosley having trouble finishing again. Gates was just a beast inside for Cincy.

Horrible free throw shooting as well. My biggest concern for this team is shooting. Hayes is really the only one with a good shot, but he has trouble getting it off. Vasquez is way to streaky of a shooter. Bowie is a horrible outside shooter and needs to stop with the 3's.

SuperKevin 11-25-2009 12:15 PM

I'm confident Jordan Williams will be All ACC before he's done at Maryland. His hands are so soft on the glass.

Thank god our OOC schedule is fairly weak this year because this team looks horribly out of synch

SuperKevin 11-25-2009 05:18 PM

So much for getting a quality non conference win this year.

Vasquez is going to end up in Europe.

ChefMike 01-31-2010 09:19 AM

Anyone think we have a shot now to win the ACC??

2 Live Crew 01-31-2010 09:27 AM

Big game vs Clemson today...I think there is a legit shot if they can win this game.

Playing inspired basketball so far in ACC play...

mikehop05 02-07-2010 02:51 PM

dirrrrrrrty.

ChefMike 03-08-2010 09:07 AM

Ok so now that we are co Champs and more then likely we will be a TOP 5 seed in the NCAA Tourney... what are the predictions of how far we can go.. do we last to the sweet 16? Great 8? Final 4 Run? or are we ousted in the 1st rd??????

Plus any news anyone has heard about recruits ????

DiG 03-08-2010 11:31 AM

i think we absolutely have the talent to make at least a sweet 16 run and are peaking at the right time. when this team is on we can play with just about anyone in the country. its good that weve won a few game son the road here towards the end of the season because that was always my worry. when youve got a guy like vasquez on your team you cant count out anything.

SeanTaylorRIP 03-10-2010 03:11 PM

Against a guard heavy team I think Maryland can beat just about any team in the nation. They will run into trouble in the tourny when they face a team with length and front court depth. If Jordan Williams picks up fouls Maryland is in big trouble as guys like Greggory, Milbourne, and Mosely are so under sized. I think an even lesser team and a possible early maybe 2nd round matchup like ODU could bounce Maryland. Even though Gtown has Monroe and Vaughn, they were able to beat Gtown at verizon as they exposed Gtowns lack of big man depth, and Maryland's is even worse. With that said Maryland can beat almost every guard oriented team in the top 25. Just like last year Cal was the better team, the top 25 team, but Maryland handled their guard play. I think Maryland can beat top 20 teams like Butler. It will definitely be interesting though to see how far they go.

DiG 01-10-2011 10:08 AM

Terps looked good last night. This team showed some serious fight and gave another very strong defensive performance. Garys squad is young, less skilled than duke, and clearly still developing but I was still impressed with the performance and I gotta admit the future is looking bright. Stoglin was awful offensively last night but I love his attitude and confidence and think he is going to be a player as he continues to develop. Both he and Howard are already very good defensive players and look like they have the confidence to get better on offense. I think Mosleys biggest issue at MD in development was a lack of confidence. He's also good on the defensive side but we cant count on him being more than a 3rd or 4th scorer on this team.

I don't think enough can be said about Jordan Williams. There is a very very good chance that if he stays all four years that he will make a serious run at being my favorite Terp of all time. Watching him last night was special. Yes he needs to still get better from the free throw line, and yes he missed the rotation on the 2 on 3 break that led to the dook 3 pointer late in the game that basically iced things but i was in absolute awe last night watching this kid work under the basket ripping boards, making acrobatic shots, being physical. He keeps improving every game and if that continues he is going to end up one of the all time greats. I hope Faust comes in as good as advertised next year because his 3 point range is going to really help this team take the next step.

ChefMike 01-17-2011 10:45 AM

So I think we looked amazing against 'Nova we just need to hit our free throws and kep a bit more experience. This year we will be the young team NO team wants to play but next year if we get Jordan Williams back we will be a TOP 10 if not TOP 5 team in the country. Next year we need another big man but if we can keep Jordan Williams around till his senior year.. maybe we can couple him with this guy

http://terrapinstationmd.com/2011/01...quille-cleare/