Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minnesota Vikings Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Stadium discussion (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38818)

The_Dude 02-22-2010 01:59 PM

Stadium discussion

I am glad that I have a student teacher so that I can dedicate time at work to think about important things.... like the Vikings.

The Vikings lease on the Metrodome is set to expire in 2011 & with no clear cut option on the table, both sides need to step it up and work on a compromise. I think that it is safe to say that it will not be a tax increase (especially with Pawlenty in office until the end of 2010) given our current economic crunch here in MN. I also don't see the Wilfs/Vikings taking the possible option of buying the Metrodome and renovating it. They (the Wilfs, other NFL owners, & the NFL) want nice, big, shiny, new stadiums so I see renovation as being out of the question.

I think that our best options for some sort of public funding (which I am partially in favor of, depending on the options/outcome) would come from a combination of:

1) "Racinos" ~ Let's put slot machines at Canterbury Downs & Running Aces. I would also be in favor of allowing slot machines at the new stadium. I know that this would go against current state law (see Indian Gaming Regulatory Act), but this is an issue that could be brought to the MN public in the form of an amendment vote on the ballot. Upon paying off the set amount needed for the stadium, the funds from the slots could then be diverted into the general fund.

2) Have a lottery game (scratch off style) in which proceeds go directly towards the funding of the stadium. Once then necessary amount has been reached, the game could then be discontinued.

3) Create an additional option for license plates. Similar to the "critical habitat" license plates, the additional fee necessary for purchasing these license plates would be used for funding the building of a new stadium & this option of license plates could be made unavailable once the amount needed has been reached.

4) Let's get the NFL to pony up some money for the building of stadiums for their teams. The NFL is a multi-billion dollar a year organization. They are pushing hard for new stadiums to be built, so why not put the money where their collective mouth is...

I think that these options would only work if coupled with a significant amount of $ paid by the Vikings organization itself &/or the NFL ponying up.

I love my Vikings and I would be heart-broken if they were to end up leaving town. I don't see a move to L.A. as a current legitimate option, but a couple of years down the line it could be.

Anyway these are just my thoughts.

Thoughts?

B-rand 02-22-2010 10:51 PM

You neglected to mention something that is also a big factor in all this:

The Vikings need to find a corporate sponsor for the new stadium! My main suggestions are Verizon Wireless and Best Buy.

I like the Verizon idea for a few reasons:
-One of the biggest original wireless companies in MN was Midwest Wireless (which was bought by Alltell, which was bought by Verizon) so they have a strong base in Minnesota
- It is becoming popular to offer wireless network access while at sporting events, and Verizon could get an investment in the stadium by being the sole provider of that service (which usually costs the consumer a price to use that access) this is for things like your iPhone to connect to the internet so you can update your facebook status and pictures while at the game, or check fantasy stats for your team while there. It is not for things like phone service, just to be clear.

vikes_28 02-22-2010 10:57 PM

I have no idea. It seems logical, but it probably won't happen.

The_Dude 02-23-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-rand (Post 2029656)
You neglected to mention something that is also a big factor in all this:

The Vikings need to find a corporate sponsor for the new stadium! My main suggestions are Verizon Wireless and Best Buy.

I like the Verizon idea for a few reasons:
-One of the biggest original wireless companies in MN was Midwest Wireless (which was bought by Alltell, which was bought by Verizon) so they have a strong base in Minnesota
- It is becoming popular to offer wireless network access while at sporting events, and Verizon could get an investment in the stadium by being the sole provider of that service (which usually costs the consumer a price to use that access) this is for things like your iPhone to connect to the internet so you can update your facebook status and pictures while at the game, or check fantasy stats for your team while there. It is not for things like phone service, just to be clear.

You are correct, but i think that corporate sponsorships are usually given out after the stadium has been built as a money making practice for the stadium ownership rather than fund raising for the building of the stadium.

I love the idea of local sponsorships for local stadiums. I was very happy that the Twins sold the naming rights to Target & I would like the Vikings to do something similar like with Best Buy, Cargill, 3M, Medtronic, General Mills, etc.

djp 04-06-2010 11:10 PM

Sticking this thread so all stadium related chat goes into this topic

Vikes99ej 04-07-2010 12:19 PM

I don't see anything positive happening.

The_Dude 04-07-2010 12:25 PM

not in the current economic conditions.

who knows what the popularity of the new twins stadium might due to sway some people's opinions

vikes_28 04-07-2010 07:33 PM

I just hope this pans out for the Vikings. I don't live in Minnesota so I don't know how good of a Governor Pawlenty is. But it seems to me that he doesn't have their pro football franchise on the top of their priorities. I understand that it's hard, but when you have a team in one of the most popular sports leagues in the world, you'd think that you'd do everything to keep them around right?

marshallb 04-07-2010 08:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikes_28 (Post 2110497)
I just hope this pans out for the Vikings. I don't live in Minnesota so I don't know how good of a Governor Pawlenty is. But it seems to me that he doesn't have their pro football franchise on the top of their priorities. I understand that it's hard, but when you have a team in one of the most popular sports leagues in the world, you'd think that you'd do everything to keep them around right?

I'm not all that up on Pawlenty either, although I do live in MN, due mainly to the fact that I am only 17. I do think he and the state government do want to keep the team here, but want to do it as cheap as possible, and would probably prefer to put it off as long as possible, probably in hope that the recession will get over and the budget crisis/deficit will get better.

The_Dude 04-07-2010 09:43 PM

T-Paw is out after 2010. The problem is that a DFL Gov will probably also be against public funding for a stadium. The state's economy has to right itself before this will get serious consideration... either that or the lease actually has to expire to light a fire under the arses of the legislature. We'll see.

vikes_28 04-07-2010 11:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marshallb (Post 2110670)
I'm not all that up on Pawlenty either, although I do live in MN, due mainly to the fact that I am only 17. I do think he and the state government do want to keep the team here, but want to do it as cheap as possible, and would probably prefer to put it off as long as possible, probably in hope that the recession will get over and the budget crisis/deficit will get better.

You're only 17? I thought you were older than that.

The_Dude 04-08-2010 07:34 AM

Per PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ion-is-coming/

Quote:

Mark Wilf remains confident that a stadium solution is coming
Posted by Mike Florio on April 7, 2010 11:35 PM ET
As the Minnesota Twins launch their long-coveted baseball stadium, the Minnesota Vikings continue to wait for their own new digs.

Perhaps the wait won't be all that much longer.

Team president Mark Wilf said Wednesday that he's hopeful that state lawmakers will address the problem this year. "There's five weeks to go in our legislative session here and we're confident that we can still reach a resolution to get a stadium solution," Wilf said, per the Minneapolis St. Paul Business Journal. "We're working hard with legislative leaders to get a solution done and a lot of very creative and good ideas have come forward and we feel something will get done this session."

But what if it doesn't? "The reality is we're competing with 31 other teams, of which 28 have new stadiums in the last 15 years or major renovations," Wilf said. "We're fighting an uphill battle and that upstream fight can only go on so long."

Wilf didn't say that the Vikings would look to move if a solution isn't reached. But he doesn't have to. The Vikings become stadium free agents after he 2011 season. And L.A. is waiting.

marshallb 04-08-2010 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikes_28 (Post 2110951)
You're only 17? I thought you were older than that.

haha nope, I'll be 18 in 4 days though!!!!

marshallb 04-08-2010 11:03 AM

Here's a little bit of good news on the stadium. Not much, but a little bit of a positive.:
http://www.startribune.com/politics/...tml?page=1&c=y

Crazy_Chris 04-09-2010 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude
1) "Racinos" ~ Let's put slot machines at Canterbury Downs & Running Aces. I would also be in favor of allowing slot machines at the new stadium. I know that this would go against current state law (see Indian Gaming Regulatory Act), but this is an issue that could be brought to the MN public in the form of an amendment vote on the ballot. Upon paying off the set amount needed for the stadium, the funds from the slots could then be diverted into the general fund.

Apparently if they are granted Slot Machines these Racinos will be willing to give $40 Million a year to the Vikes Stadium fund.

http://www.startribune.com/politics/...PaP3iUiacyKUUr

The_Dude 04-10-2010 03:04 PM

I like the idea of Racinos for the purpose of adding to the general fund, too. If they can take in the estimated $100 mil per year, our legislature would be complete morons (or should i say just offer more proof that they are morons) to not pass it. This would continue to help our state well beyond the completion of funding the stadium.

marshallb 04-10-2010 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 2115205)
I like the idea of Racinos for the purpose of adding to the general fund, too. If they can take in the estimated $100 mil per year, our legislature would be complete morons (or should i say just offer more proof that they are morons) to not pass it. This would continue to help our state well beyond the completion of funding the stadium.

Definitely, it sounds like such a smart thing to do, especially with the budget deficit, adding that much money to the budget definitely can't hurt.

Crazy_Chris 04-29-2010 07:08 PM

It's starting to look like a solution more than likely won't be this coming this year...

http://www.startribune.com/politics/...3aPc:_Yyc:aUUs

The_Dude 05-03-2010 11:03 AM

Here we go. I am surprised that they aren't going the Racino route.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...s-to-benefits/

Quote:

Bipartisan bill for Vikings stadium ties payments to benefits
Posted by Mike Florio on May 3, 2010 11:25 AM ET
As expected, a new, bipartisan bill was introduced Monday by Minnesota legislators hoping to keep the Vikings from joining the former Minneapolis Lakers in Los Angeles. A news release issued by those sponsoring the bill bears the following headline: "ONLY THOSE WHO BENEFITS FROM A VIKINGS STADIUM WOULD PAY FOR IT."

The proposed bill contemplates that the team will cough up $264 million, and that the remaining $527 million will be spread out over 40 years. The annual principal and debt payments would come from a hotel surtax (1.5 percent, for an estimated annual revenue stream of $8 million), a slice of jersey purchases (6.875 percent, which is expected to generate $16.9 million per year), a sports-themed scratch-off lottery game (which is expected to raise $5.5 million per year), and a rental-car tax (which also is expected to raise $5.5 million per year).

"The Vikings only have 20 games left in the Metrodome, and there are two weeks left of session. It's clear that the window to build this stadium is closing," said state Senator Tom Bakk, chief-author of the Senate version of the bill. "If we wait another year to move this project forward, it will cost another $50 million. This bill gives us the opportunity to put 13,000 people back to work, bringing $300 million in new wages to Minnesota. And it guarantees the Vikings will stay in Minnesota for the next 40 years."

In the more concise words of United States Poet Laureate Daniel Lawrence Whitney, "Git 'r done."

Vikes99ej 05-03-2010 12:28 PM

Get it done!

The_Dude 05-05-2010 12:00 PM

Vikings stadium bill defeated in House committee
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2010 12:35 PM ET
Well, it was fun while it lasted.

Only two days after a bipartisan bill to build a new Vikings stadium was introduced, the measure has died.

Mike Kaszuba of the Minneapolis Star Tribune reports that the 10-9 defeat came only hours after another House committee had approved it. But as Kaszuba points out, "[A]t this stage of the legislative session, set-backs for major bills can sometimes be only temporary."

Which means that most of the time it isn't only temporary.

Which means that in the case it could be permanent.

Which means that those L.A. Rams fans who used to wear watermelons as hats might soon be able to add horns to their headgear.

FuzzyGopher 05-05-2010 02:38 PM

The_Dude 05-05-2010 03:36 PM

Vikings stadium bill makes like Lazarus in the legislature
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2010 3:08 PM ET
Killed in a House committee this morning, the bill to build a new Vikings stadium found new life in a Senate committee this afternoon.

The new version incorporates Personal Seat Licenses as a mechanism for raising money beyond the $264 million that the Vikings will pay, according to WCCO.com. Previous plans to use a variety of taxes and to foist bond payments onto the city of Minneapolis as of 2020 have been scuttled.

Meanwhile, the Vikings claimed in a House committee hearing that they are losing money (which could have CBA ramification), and the team declined to answer whether the project can wait another year (which means that it can). Also, Governor Tim Pawlenty suddenly seems to be less interested in the stadium bill and more interested in fixing the state's deficit, given a Wednesday Minnesota Supreme Court decision finding that Pawlenty exceeded his authority by cutting $5.3 million from a state program.

So while progress is being made, there's a long way to go -- and there isn't much time to get something done in 2010. The legislative session ends this month.

if they add on personal seat licenses, they can kiss my season ticket money goodbye. That is something that I am not onboard with...

vikes_28 05-05-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The_Dude (Post 2163937)
Vikings stadium bill makes like Lazarus in the legislature
Posted by Mike Florio on May 5, 2010 3:08 PM ET
Killed in a House committee this morning, the bill to build a new Vikings stadium found new life in a Senate committee this afternoon.

The new version incorporates Personal Seat Licenses as a mechanism for raising money beyond the $264 million that the Vikings will pay, according to WCCO.com. Previous plans to use a variety of taxes and to foist bond payments onto the city of Minneapolis as of 2020 have been scuttled.

Meanwhile, the Vikings claimed in a House committee hearing that they are losing money (which could have CBA ramification), and the team declined to answer whether the project can wait another year (which means that it can). Also, Governor Tim Pawlenty suddenly seems to be less interested in the stadium bill and more interested in fixing the state's deficit, given a Wednesday Minnesota Supreme Court decision finding that Pawlenty exceeded his authority by cutting $5.3 million from a state program.

So while progress is being made, there's a long way to go -- and there isn't much time to get something done in 2010. The legislative session ends this month.

if they add on personal seat licenses, they can kiss my season ticket money goodbye. That is something that I am not onboard with...

As long as they can get it done. I don't care.

djp 05-05-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vikes_28 (Post 2163941)
As long as they can get it done. I don't care.

You aren't a season ticket holder, though. My family is, and I doubt we'd be keeping the tickets if they put this in play. Maybe we would pay for the first year of it, but I doubt it after that.