Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Hall Of Fame (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=52)
-   -   I Bought a Duck (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38938)

ChiFan24 02-25-2010 10:00 PM

I Bought a Duck

Alright listen I don't know what your rules are here for starting off topic threads but time is of the essence and I need opinions. You all strike me as wise people when it comes to the draft so odds are you also know a lot about ducks.

My roommate and I just ordered a baby duck for $55 from eFowl.com. It's a real website. We have a 4 person apartment at the U of Illinois. We don't really care whether the other two roommates want it or not, they won't say anything either way, and we think it will be funny when the duck shows up unannounced. Now, my roommate and I really want a pet duck, but we know nothing of taking care of a duck. Almost everyone we've talked to thinks we'll kill it and are telling us to cancel the order immediately. We really don't think we'll kill it; we've both taken care of other pets before. On the other hand we're in college and enjoy drinking and what not, so that's to be considered.

Anyway, I need opinions. In the off chance that any of you have ever had a pet duck, let me know whether you killed it. If so, let me know where you went wrong. Like I said, there's only so much time to cancel the order, so let me know.

HawkeyeFan 02-25-2010 10:01 PM

Let me be the first, why the F would you want a pet duck? Those things are killers.

ChiFan24 02-25-2010 10:03 PM

I wasn't aware of this. How so?

Paul 02-25-2010 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2035717)
Alright listen I don't know what your rules are here for starting off topic threads but time is of the essence and I need opinions. You all strike me as wise people when it comes to the draft so odds are you also know a lot about ducks.

My roommate and I just ordered a baby duck for $55 from eFowl.com. It's a real website. We have a 4 person apartment at the U of Illinois. We don't really care whether the other two roommates want it or not, they won't say anything either way, and we think it will be funny when the duck shows up unannounced. Now, my roommate and I really want a pet duck, but we know nothing of taking care of a duck. Almost everyone we've talked to thinks we'll kill it and are telling us to cancel the order immediately. We really don't think we'll kill it; we've both taken care of other pets before. On the other hand we're in college and enjoy drinking and what not, so that's to be considered.

Anyway, I need opinions. In the off chance that any of you have ever had a pet duck, let me know whether you killed it. If so, let me know where you went wrong. Like I said, there's only so much time to cancel the order, so let me know.

Well murdering the duck was probably where it went wrong in that scenario.

vidae 02-25-2010 10:03 PM

I drew the duck blue because I have never seen a blue duck before, and to be honest I wanted to see a blue duck.

Jvig43 02-25-2010 10:05 PM

Yeah to be honest, this sounds like a bad idea. Even if you do manage to take pretty good care of it, its going to be alot of work, especially keeping your place clean ( it'll crap everywhere). Plus that not accounting for what other people will do, especially if intoxicated. Not a good idea for a college kid.

CC.SD 02-25-2010 10:06 PM

Now you just need a laughing dog.

TitanHope 02-25-2010 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2035725)

Everyone knows that ducks are vicious, vicious animals.

And don't even get me started on Canadian geese...

yo123 02-25-2010 10:08 PM

This thread has hall of fame potential.

VoteLynnSwan 02-25-2010 10:09 PM

my landlord had 2 pet ducks... (I live in downtown Milwaukee) they were pretty badass... You need some kind of yard or something, and a pond is pretty essential.

They need a food source, they'll eat insects and stuff, but you'll probably have to supplement that with some kind of grain or something. They also love cat food.

Ultimately it's a terrible idea, and will only end poorly.

They didn't die, but they really didn't like the snow much... My landlord ended up taking them to a farm in Minnesota.

-edit
also, I don't know what kind of duck you got, but if it's one capable of flying, then be prepared to have to go find it on occasion. You'll also need some kind of enclosed area like a coop for them to sleep in at night if you're going to keep them outside because they will be a target for raccoons and such.

Be prepared to deal with a ton of duck **** too. It's gross, and they **** ALL the time.

josh07039 02-25-2010 10:09 PM

My friend, a college student, has two pet ducks. He claims he likes it, but it looks like a gigantic pain in the ass with little pay off.

HawkeyeFan 02-25-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2035725)

If they get mad ( which they can ), they hit very hard. They've broken arms.

VoteLynnSwan 02-25-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by josh07039 (Post 2035744)
My friend, a college student, has two pet ducks. He claims he likes it, but it looks like a gigantic pain in the ass with little pay off.

zero payoff... if anything, get chickens. At least then you'll get free eggs.

keylime_5 02-25-2010 10:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vidae (Post 2035727)
I drew the duck blue because I have never seen a blue duck before, and to be honest I wanted to see a blue duck.

and it's a beautiful duck, billy

CC.SD 02-25-2010 10:31 PM

Once I had sex with a duck.

Whistler6 02-25-2010 10:31 PM

Your prayers have been answered:

http://www.petducksblog.com/

bored of education 02-25-2010 10:36 PM

I want a pet midget

prock 02-25-2010 10:37 PM

While it may be a terrible, terrible idea to get a pet duck, it does sound like it could be very, very interesting. I personally wouldn't even get a duck because I am lazy and would definitely kill it. If i were you, I would try and keep it alive until it gets big, then you have your own personally raised duck ready to cook. Duck is nummy.

I also refuse to believe you weren't stoned when you ordered said duck. No sober and sane individual would ever purchase a duck online in college. + rep because this is ******* funny.

tjsunstein 02-25-2010 10:41 PM

What the **** are you going to do with a duck?

What are you going to name it? I'd go cliche with Donald.

TitanHope 02-25-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoteLynnSwan (Post 2035742)
my landlord had 2 pet ducks... (I live in downtown Milwaukee) they were pretty badass... You need some kind of yard or something, and a pond is pretty essential.

They need a food source, they'll eat insects and stuff, but you'll probably have to supplement that with some kind of grain or something. They also love cat food.

Ultimately it's a terrible idea, and will only end poorly.

They didn't die, but they really didn't like the snow much... My landlord ended up taking them to a farm in Minnesota.

-edit
also, I don't know what kind of duck you got, but if it's one capable of flying, then be prepared to have to go find it on occasion. You'll also need some kind of enclosed area like a coop for them to sleep in at night if you're going to keep them outside because they will be a target for raccoons and such.

Be prepared to deal with a ton of duck **** too. It's gross, and they **** ALL the time.

THIS! Do not under-estimate raccoons! Those little bastards WILL outsmart you no matter what you do. My ex-girlfriend had 3 baby chicks, and I had to take care of them for a few days. So the first night I was over there, I fed 'em and everything. When I went to put them away, this is what I did: I put them in a pet-carrier, and suspended it in midair from a tree branch with a bungie cord. So it was suspended in frickin' midair, about 5 feet off the ground. Also, surrounding the area underneath the pet-carrier was a dog pen. So yeah, I thought to myself, "Well done TitanHope, you've got these baby chickens secured. Your GF will love you so much for taking such good care of her chicks that she'll will express her gratitude via frisky endeavors."

So I come back the next day and one of the chicks was gone!!! I was STUNNED! I called my GF and was like, "I dunno how it happened! There were 3 and now there are 2!" I was looking all over for feathers and stuff, but there was no evidence of chicknapping. She was cool about it though, and she said "It's ok TitanHope. Raccoons are evil, demonic creatures and are capable of this." And I was like, "No! I fool proofed this thing! I did not get outsmarted by a raccoon!" And she was like, "Yeah, you did...but it's ok though!!!"

I was a sad panda. I felt bad for the chicknapped one. It got frickin' pulled through a pet-carrier cage door and eaten by raccoons. And yes, I totally brought the other two chicks home with me until she came back. I wasn't gonna leave the little tikes there in that death trap.

So yeah, raccoons, ducks, and canadian geese are all evil and hopefully become extinct some day.

vikes_28 02-25-2010 10:48 PM

Sounds cool. Ducks aren't vicious unless they are wild.

ChiFan24 02-25-2010 10:56 PM

So the consensus seems to be no, which is depressing. I've always wanted a duck. Somebody needs to give me some pros to having this thing. That duck blog doesn't make it seem too hard, outside of needing a coop....

As for the name, my roommate wants to name it Duck, and I want to name it Scrambles. We're adamantly against each other's suggestion, so we'll hammer out the issue when we decide if we're keeping it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by prock (Post 2035808)
I also refuse to believe you weren't stoned when you ordered said duck. No sober and sane individual would ever purchase a duck online in college.

No comment.

CC.SD 02-25-2010 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2035846)
So the consensus seems to be no, which is depressing. I've always wanted a duck. Somebody needs to give me some pros to having this thing. That duck blog doesn't make it seem too hard, outside of needing a coop....

As for the name, my roommate wants to name it Duck, and I want to name it Scrambles. We're adamantly against each other's suggestion, so we'll hammer out the issue when we decide if we're keeping it.

No comment.

The name is obviously Darkwing.

HawkeyeFan 02-25-2010 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bored of education (Post 2035803)
I want a pet midget

I was at a metal show last week and there was a midget in the mosh pit, haha! I felt bad so I had to keep pushing him away from me and I tried to get him out of harms way. He stayed in it though.

josh07039 02-25-2010 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HawkeyeFan (Post 2035860)
I was at a metal show last week and there was a midget in the mosh pit, haha! I felt bad so I had to keep pushing him away from me and I tried to get him out of harms way. He stayed in it though.

How disrespectful. Midgets are almost like real human beings so you need to try to treat them as if they are normal.