Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   PFT And It's Silly Rumors... (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4020)

Flyboy 03-15-2007 08:14 PM

PFT And It's Silly Rumors...

Quote:

Originally Posted by PFT
BUCS BRINGING IN GRANT

Adam Schefter of NFL Network reports that the Tampa Bay Buccaneers are bringing in Saints defensive end Charles Grant for a visit.

The significance? Grant carries the Saints' franchise tag.

By rule, Grant may sign an offer sheet with any other team. If the Saints should opt not to match, they would receive two first-round picks as compensation.

Such an outcome is highly unlikely, since the Bucs hold the fourth overall pick. And trading down before signing Grant isn't an option; the Bucs must give up their own first-rounder, not someone else's.

The more likely outcome is that, if the Bucs decide to make a play for Grant, Tampa and New Orleans will work out a trade. And with the Bucs potentially going for broke in 2007 under coach Jon Gruden and G.M. Bruce Allen, both of whom might be gone by next year, we wouldn't rule out a package including the Bucs' third-round pick in 2007 and a conditional pick in 2008.

http://www.profootballtalk.com/rumormill.htm

I thought this would be fun to post to get some gossip going.

Blah. "It's" should be "Its". Sorry.

Tubby 03-15-2007 08:35 PM

It is just a rumor. No NFL team would be stupid enough to give up two first round picks for one player.

Except for the Dallas Cowboys.

Flyboy 03-15-2007 08:38 PM

Yeah, I noted that it was a rumor but there is at least some validity to it as the Bucs brought Grant in for a visit knowing full well that he has the franchise tag.

Ward 03-15-2007 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubby (Post 222211)
It is just a rumor. No NFL team would be stupid enough to give up two first round picks for one player.

Most embarassing moment for the franchise during the time I've followed the team. That includes the White House.

Chucky 03-15-2007 08:53 PM

That is ridiculous

Flyboy 03-15-2007 08:55 PM

Quote:

Grant's agent, Bill Johnson, confirmed the visit, saying, "They're crazy about Charles."

Should the Buccaneers opt to sign Grant to an offer sheet that New Orleans declined to match, Tampa Bay would have to surrender two first-round picks to the Saints. Of course, the two teams also could always agree to a sign-and-trade deal, although the two teams play in the same division and New Orleans might be leery about facing the 28-year-old Grant twice a season. Nevertheless, the Buccaneers have arranged for Grant to visit Tampa Bay on Friday so that the key members of their organization will be there to meet with him.
http://www.nfl.com/nflnetwork/story/10033511

Beans 03-15-2007 08:57 PM

I would puke if we gave up our first for him.

Vince Lombardi 03-15-2007 09:02 PM

Did you guys even read the last paragraph about them working out a trade? Of course they wouldn't give up two 1sts for Grant. :rolleyes:

Flyboy 03-15-2007 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeansDooma (Post 222318)
I would puke if we gave up our first for him.

I'm hoping TB signs him and we don't match. The thought of adding Calvin Johnson to our offense makes me giddy.

Windy 03-15-2007 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vince Lombardi (Post 222350)
Did you guys even read the last paragraph about them working out a trade? Of course they wouldn't give up two 1sts for Grant. :rolleyes:

yea no way tampa would give up their 2007 1st for him. they would have to negotiate a deal involving other picks or players.

etk 03-15-2007 09:26 PM

I might be in the minority among Bucs fans but I think he is a perfect fit for our defense and I would welcome him. A 3rd round pick would be a great deal for Grant.

Scotty D 03-15-2007 09:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etk (Post 222469)
I might be in the minority among Bucs fans but I think he is a perfect fit for our defense and I would welcome him. A 3rd round pick would be a great deal for Grant.

Yeah that will never happen.

diabsoule 03-15-2007 09:37 PM

I don't know what to expect about this. If the Saints trade away Grant then we lose a key player in our defense and we have no one to come in and replace him so that would add another need for us in this draft.

I don't know what kind of deal would be worked out between the two teams and I just think that it's Grant testing the market.

etk 03-15-2007 10:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scotty D (Post 222498)
Yeah that will never happen.

Way to ruin my chances at a happy sleep tonight. It's fun to dream, and Grant for a 3rd=:D

Chucky 03-15-2007 10:03 PM

The bucs wouldnt give up their thrid for grant. Or at least i hope, our pick is so high its almost a second, it just doesnt make sense.

etk 03-15-2007 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky (Post 222633)
The bucs wouldnt give up their thrid for grant. Or at least i hope, our pick is so high its almost a second, it just doesnt make sense.

Name a DE in the draft this year that you think will have a bigger impact and help us win more than Grant.

We would be lucky if the Saints agreed to that trade anyway.

Grizzlegom 03-15-2007 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tubby (Post 222211)

and the miami dolphins.

Shiver 03-15-2007 10:57 PM

Well, the Bucs did trade two first round picks and 8$ Million for a Head Coach, so don't put it beyond them.

B-Dawk 03-15-2007 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver (Post 222759)
Well, the Bucs did trade two first round picks and 8$ Million for a Head Coach, so don't put it beyond them.

they couldn't justify doing the same thing with Grant because there is no way they are winning the Super Bowl next year

yourfavestoner 03-15-2007 11:06 PM

But would they really fork over two first round picks to a division rival? Doesn't make sense at all, unless they're working out different compensation.

etk 03-15-2007 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver (Post 222759)

You forgot to mention the two second round picks that we dealt away in that trade as well. You can't put a price on a Super Bowl ring.

etk 03-15-2007 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yourfavestoner (Post 222782)
But would they really fork over two first round picks to a division rival? Doesn't make sense at all, unless they're working out different compensation.

You can answer that question yourself, because we are all well aware that Charles Grant is not worth 1 first round pick let alone 2.

Shiver 03-15-2007 11:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etk (Post 222789)
You forgot to mention the two second round picks that we dealt away in that trade as well. You can't put a price on a Super Bowl ring.

Can you say for certain that Marvin Lewis couldn't have brought a Super Bowl title?

etk 03-15-2007 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver (Post 222798)
Can you say for certain that Marvin Lewis couldn't have brought a Super Bowl title?

No, of course not. I always wonder whether we needed to sacrifice that much to get Gruden and win the Super Bowl, but he did make it happen so I can't be greedy. I wouldn't take back that trade in a million years.

Caddy 03-16-2007 12:21 AM

This workout could just be used for the future. Grant will be a free agent next year so maybe Allen and Chucky are just trying to get the inside track on possibly signing him in the future.