Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Florida facing NCAA investigation? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=41920)

Sniper 07-19-2010 11:36 AM

Florida facing NCAA investigation?

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/s...r_espn_5392159

Quote:

Florida and NCAA officials are investigating a potential rules violation that allegedly occurred last December involving former Gators football standout Maurkice Pouncey, sources said.

Florida is internally investigating what sources described as an allegation that a representative of an agent paid Pouncey $100,000 between the Gators' loss to Alabama in the Southeastern Conference championship game to Alabama and their season-ending Sugar Bowl victory over Cincinnati. Florida apprised the NCAA of the allegation after it became aware of it.
100 Gs. Damn.

wonderbredd24 07-19-2010 11:40 AM

When is the NCAA going to stop picking on the little guy?

iowatreat54 07-19-2010 11:41 AM

This can't be. The NCAA only hates UNC and wants to protect all their favorite teams.

Seriously though, I actually think it's pretty awesome that the NCAA is investigating this stuff. You can argue all you want about the NCAA/schools making money and that players should be paid, but the fact is right now it's against the rules. Granted, I may feel different if Iowa is investigated, but I'm confident we don't have that type of money to spend like this, nor do we have boosters that could.

RealityCheck 07-19-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowatreat54 (Post 2233635)
This can't be. The NCAA only hates UNC and wants to protect all their favorite teams.

Well, the NCAA is going full power. This only means Boise State and Middle Tennessee will be in the BCSNCG.

Scotty D 07-19-2010 12:20 PM

Is Urban going to go after this reporter?

Brent 07-19-2010 12:31 PM

Quote:

the Gators' loss to Alabama in the Southeastern Conference championship game to Alabama and their season-ending Sugar Bowl victory over Cincinnati.
c'mon ESPN, who's the ******* editor over there?

iowatreat54 07-19-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 2233705)
c'mon ESPN, who's the ******* editor over there?

ESPN has editors?

SchizophrenicBatman 07-19-2010 12:43 PM

I told you guys in the UNC thread that this is just the start. The entire southeast is on nails right now. The other successful SEC schools better watch out, as should Clemson. I've also heard VPI implicated, which is a little surprising, but not too much

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 07-19-2010 12:44 PM

They should get rid of Tebow's heisman just cause it is fun to watch him cry.

Sniper 07-19-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 2233727)
They should get rid of Tebow's heisman just cause it is fun to watch him cry.

dannyz 07-19-2010 02:15 PM

How about the NCAA banning EYEBlacks with Writing after Tebow Left.

sbh15 07-19-2010 04:26 PM

florida reported the infraction to the ncaa themselves, most likely there won't be a whole lot that comes of this

Trogdor 07-20-2010 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 2234001)
florida reported the infraction to the ncaa themselves, most likely there won't be a whole lot that comes of this

That's a crock if that's the case. Self reported rule violations are still rule violations. Granted Florida will never get crucified by public opinion like USC was but they deserve the same punishment if found guilty. NCAA decided to set a new precedent in punishing USC they can't turn around and a few months later go soft on Florida.

Granted by 'same' I'm referring to a heavy punishment not that the offenses were identical in severity. Both are the same offense: lack of institutional control.

wonderbredd24 07-20-2010 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 2234001)

It sort of depends if losing that Sugar Bowl win is considered 'a whole lot' or not

If it's proven Pouncey did get paid, that seems like a given

sbh15 07-20-2010 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 (Post 2235033)
It sort of depends if losing that Sugar Bowl win is considered 'a whole lot' or not

If it's proven Pouncey did get paid, that seems like a given

yes but i guarantee you that the ncaa will go much lighter on a self-reported violation and i highly doubt that a bcs game victory would be taken away based on a single player taking some money

wonderbredd24 07-20-2010 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 2235102)
yes but i guarantee you that the ncaa will go much lighter on a self-reported violation and i highly doubt that a bcs game victory would be taken away based on a single player taking some money

USC lost an entire season.

Self reported or not, that Sugar Bowl win is gone if the allegations are true.