Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Preseason top 25 (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42118)

JRTPlaya21 08-06-2010 11:08 AM

Preseason top 25
 
USA Today Coaches' Poll

RK TEAM RECORD PTS PVS

1 Alabama (55) 0-0 1469 1
2 Ohio State (4) 0-0 1392 5
3 Florida 0-0 1245 3
4 Texas 0-0 1240 2
5 Boise State 0-0 1215 4
6 Virginia Tech 0-0 1052 10
7 TCU 0-0 1051 6
8 Oklahoma 0-0 1035 NR
9 Nebraska 0-0 1001 14
10 Iowa 0-0 952 7
11 Oregon 0-0 940 11
12 Wisconsin 0-0 778 16
13 Miami (FL) 0-0 728 19
14 Penn State 0-0 508 8
15 Pittsburgh 0-0 492 15
16 LSU 0-0 476 17
17 Georgia Tech 0-0 455 13
18 North Carolina 0-0 445 NR
19 Arkansas 0-0 438 NR
20 Florida State 0-0 374 NR
21 Georgia 0-0 312 NR
22 Oregon State 0-0 263 NR
23 Auburn 0-0 260 NR
24 Utah 0-0 169 18
24 West Virginia 0-0 169 22

Others receiving votes: Cincinnati 135, Houston 76, Brigham Young 66, Arizona 65, Mississippi 48, Clemson 44, Stanford 41, Connecticut 40, Notre Dame 38, South Carolina 38, Washington 26, Missouri 23, Navy 12, Oklahoma State 11, Boston College 10, Michigan State 10, Arizona State 6, California 6, Texas Tech 5, South Florida 4, Texas A&M 3, Temple 2, Northwestern 2, Mississippi State 1, Nevada 1, Northern Illinois 1, Central Michigan 1, Southern Methodist 1,

Smooth Criminal 08-06-2010 11:42 AM

I really think this is one of the weakest times I've ever seen in college football. Last years preseason top 10 teams would slaughter this years.

Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma should expect to have worse teams than last year, Alabama looks the best in the nation, but still not as good as last year. Ohio State is improved, but not much, basically the same team as last year.

I guess it just looks weaker without big name QBs and a slew of returning Heisman winners.

JRTPlaya21 08-06-2010 11:49 AM

It is pretty much the same teams minus USC. And I don't see last years LSU & Ole Miss teams slaughtering anyone.

jballa838 08-06-2010 11:51 AM

throw these out. VT, OSU and Bama all go 12-1 we all know who the 2 teams in there will be because of this poll, and not how they play on the field. Cold world we live in...

Smooth Criminal 08-06-2010 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 (Post 2252023)
It is pretty much the same teams minus USC. And I don't see last years LSU & Ole Miss teams slaughtering anyone.


Same teams, but with Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma all putting in new QBs I'm expecting them to be alot weaker. I seeing Florida and Texas in the top 4 with new QBs suprised me alot. Texas will likely cruise through a weak Big 12 however.

JRTPlaya21 08-06-2010 12:16 PM

Us going 12-1? Yeah I can only pray for that. The games against, GT, UNC & at Miami are no cakewalks. And that is if we can beat a tough Boise team.

sbh15 08-06-2010 01:25 PM

honestly, i'm surprised to see uf that high. however, i guess the pollsters think like me. i'd be willing to say that if john brantley were uf's starting qb last season, we would have won the national championship. he just fit the personell we had so much better than tebow. this season, we unfortunately will have to play bama at least once with a re-tooled defense. if one of our young cb's can step up, though, i have no doubt that uf will make a serious run at the NC.

TitanHope 08-06-2010 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sbh15 (Post 2252115)
i'd be willing to say that if john brantley were uf's starting qb last season, we would have won the national championship.

You guys would've gotten raped with Brantley, and there's no evidence that suggests he's clutch or can lead Florida through an SEC schedule undefeated. Tebow is one of the greatest players in not only SEC history, but college football history. To insinuate that an inexperienced sophomore QB could do what Tebow couldn't do, which was beat a superior Alabama team (Tebow had ya'll undefeated leading up to the SECCG) and then beat a very good Texas team, solely because he's a more traditional pocket passer is absolutely absurd.

There's no way Brantley will leave school and be thought of as a superior QB than Tebow, and even if he's a better prospect, that still doesn't directly translate to wins. He's not going to achieve more, and he's not going to break any of Tebow's records. If Gators fans are thinking that's a possibility, then you guys are just trying to convince yourselves that Brantley is better than he really is or you guys don't realize how spectacular the run was that Tebow led ya'll on.

CLong4Heisman 08-06-2010 02:54 PM

Navy always goes 9-3 against a decent schedule and yet they get no love. They've proven to be more deserving of a top 25 slot than FSU.

keylime_5 08-06-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 2252016)
I really think this is one of the weakest times I've ever seen in college football. Last years preseason top 10 teams would slaughter this years.

Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma should expect to have worse teams than last year, Alabama looks the best in the nation, but still not as good as last year. Ohio State is improved, but not much, basically the same team as last year.

I guess it just looks weaker without big name QBs and a slew of returning Heisman winners.

defense should be more or less the same, but hopefully the offense isn't as bad as it was for the first 7 games or so in 2009. The potential is there for Ohio State to be an elite offensive team this year at least. Agreed though, the top 10 has a lot more ?s than last year's top 10.

diabsoule 08-06-2010 03:15 PM

I don't expect LSU to finish in the top 25 at the end of the year.

Sniper 08-06-2010 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jballa838 (Post 2252024)
throw these out. VT, OSU and Bama all go 12-1 we all know who the 2 teams in there will be because of this poll, and not how they play on the field. Cold world we live in...

Who do you have winning against Ohio State and Bama?

jballa838 08-06-2010 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sniper (Post 2252252)
Who do you have winning against Ohio State and Bama?

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRTPlaya21 (Post 2252047)
Us going 12-1? Yeah I can only pray for that. The games against, GT, UNC & at Miami are no cakewalks. And that is if we can beat a tough Boise team.

I was speaking hypothetically. I just used random teams from there and painted an illustration.

nrk 08-06-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 2252031)
Same teams, but with Florida, Texas, and Oklahoma all putting in new QBs I'm expecting them to be alot weaker. I seeing Florida and Texas in the top 4 with new QBs suprised me alot. Texas will likely cruise through a weak Big 12 however.

Uh, Landry Jones started more games than Sam Bradford last year.

YAYareaRB 08-06-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 2252016)
Alabama looks the best in the nation, but still not as good as last year.

Well sir I disagree

Brent 08-06-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrk (Post 2252286)
Uh, Landry Jones started more games than Sam Bradford last year.

I don't see how OU isn't the highest rated Big 12 team. Their defense is always stout and their offense is going to be destroying teams this year. Landry is going to have a huge year.

SickwithIt1010 08-06-2010 04:51 PM

Boise State gettin snubbed....lol.

I think they deserve to be 2 or 3, but I understand it would just hurt the big schools' feelings if they were that high.

wicket 08-06-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 2252311)
Boise State gettin snubbed....lol.

I think they deserve to be 2 or 3, but I understand it would just hurt the big schools' feelings if they were that high.

I truly feel they should be 3 but theyll be 3 or low after week 1 anyway

sbh15 08-06-2010 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TitanHope (Post 2252189)
You guys would've gotten raped with Brantley, and there's no evidence that suggests he's clutch or can lead Florida through an SEC schedule undefeated. Tebow is one of the greatest players in not only SEC history, but college football history. To insinuate that an inexperienced sophomore QB could do what Tebow couldn't do, which was beat a superior Alabama team (Tebow had ya'll undefeated leading up to the SECCG) and then beat a very good Texas team, solely because he's a more traditional pocket passer is absolutely absurd.

There's no way Brantley will leave school and be thought of as a superior QB than Tebow, and even if he's a better prospect, that still doesn't directly translate to wins. He's not going to achieve more, and he's not going to break any of Tebow's records. If Gators fans are thinking that's a possibility, then you guys are just trying to convince yourselves that Brantley is better than he really is or you guys don't realize how spectacular the run was that Tebow led ya'll on.

no, i'm a gator fan. i appreciate everything tim tebow did and i know how much of every bit of success can be attributed to him. but the offense was just not very good last year, say what you want. brantley is a much better downfield passer than tim is/was, and the big play was the one thing holding uf back. that and spikes' nagging hamstring injuries. my claim was pretty ridiculous. but don't say john brantley couldn't have led that team through our regular season schedule undefeated because that schedule was a cakewalk. i think we would have given alabama a much better game with john brantley at the helm though. tebow was just ineffective that game... i guess it didn't help that demps got hurt. but brantley is a much better pure passer than tim and that's what i think we needed against alabama. half of our drives were three and out because passes were either inaccurate or rushed (and i think we all know that a rushed tebow pass is not a good one) or whatever.

i think that the john brantley we see this year, in the starting job for the 2010 gators, probably would have put up gaudy numbers. yeah, he probably wouldn't have won the national championship (just hyperbole really), but i think he'll be THAT good.

Forenci 08-06-2010 06:16 PM

UConn got 40 points? Sweet.

Sniper 08-06-2010 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Forenci (Post 2252384)
UConn got 40 points scored against them by Michigan and lost? Sweet.

Edited for accuracy

Michigan 08-06-2010 06:22 PM

Damn. Looking at the list of teams receiving votes shows just how far we've fallen off the radar. Even Central Michigan has a vote, and they just lost their career leader in everything. :(

Smooth Criminal 08-06-2010 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nrk (Post 2252286)
Uh, Landry Jones started more games than Sam Bradford last year.

Still a new QB. Bradford was clearly the starter last season.

diabsoule 08-06-2010 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smooth Criminal (Post 2252417)
Still a new QB. Bradford was clearly the starter last season.

Yep. Playing 10.5 games and the bowl game last year plus having a whole offseason of leading the team means nothing. ::eyeroll::

sbh15 08-06-2010 07:40 PM

landry jones wasn't that good and lost his left tackle and best receiver... oklahoma is a top 25 team, they have no business in the top 10, though.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.