Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Joe Flacco/Matt Ryan (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42718)

Shiver 09-13-2010 09:36 PM

Joe Flacco/Matt Ryan

Might as well create it now and update throughout the season:

Matt Ryan

27/44 252 yards, 1 INT

Joe Flacco

20/38 248 yards, 1 INT

Both had tough, tough match-ups on the road against elite pass defenses.

Here is the key difference, Atlanta Falcons fans, being supremely negative, will constantly whine about Ryan and how awful he is. I have a feeling Ravens fans have a different appreciation of their franchise QB.

Babylon 09-13-2010 09:40 PM

At this point i think the Jets defense is better so i'll go with Flacco, he does have better weapons though i will add.

coordinator0 09-13-2010 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 2292985)
At this point i think the Jets defense is better so i'll go with Flacco, he does have better weapons though i will add.

I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing AND agreeing with this.

A Perfect Score 09-13-2010 09:45 PM

Roddy White is a beast. Ill still take Matt Ryan if Im starting a brand new franchise tomorrow though, and thats coming from a Ravens fan.

J-Mike88 09-13-2010 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A Perfect Score (Post 2293011)
Roddy White is a beast. Ill still take Matt Ryan if Im starting a brand new franchise tomorrow though, and thats coming from a Ravens fan.

Exactly this.
And Ray Rice is great, so is a healthy Michael Turner.
Roddy White is very underrated. Good call.
But Boldin is a beast.

A Perfect Score 09-13-2010 09:53 PM

Indeed. I wasn't trying to say that Ryan has better weapons by any means, as the Ravens certainly have more diverse receivers and a far better oline, but I do think Roddy White is underrated and Matt Ryan is still going to be a hell of a QB in this league.

Brent 09-13-2010 09:55 PM

I would gladly have either.

Babylon 09-13-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coordinator0 (Post 2293000)
I don't think I'll ever get used to seeing AND agreeing with this.

I was really impressed with Anquan Boldin, what a pro. Let's hope for their sake that Todd Heap can stay healthy.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 09-13-2010 09:58 PM

Matty Ice received so much more praise after his rookie season. Along with a higher draft status i can see why people are hard on him.

Draft King 09-13-2010 10:01 PM

The Falcons fans on this site were completely throwing Matt Ryan under the bus after the Steelers game, truth is the O-Line sucked and Turner sucked. We had no threat of play-action pass, and the Steelers knew we pretty much had to throw to either Gonzalez or White every play. Matt Ryan only had a couple bad throws the entire game. Troy Polamalu made a ridiculous interception on the Roddy White comeback.

J-Mike88 09-13-2010 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Draft King (Post 2293071)
The Falcons fans on this site were completely throwing Matt Ryan under the bus after the Steelers game, truth is the O-Line sucked and Turner sucked. We had no threat of play-action pass, and the Steelers knew we pretty much had to throw to either Gonzalez or White every play. Matt Ryan only had a couple bad throws the entire game. Troy Polamalu made a ridiculous interception on the Roddy White comeback.

Here's the thing people forget:
The Steelers defense with a healthy Polamalu is GREAT.

Steelers defense without him is GOOD, vulnerable.

You got the healthy Polamalu. My Packers last year got the one without TP and Rodgers lit them up.

bigbluedefense 09-13-2010 10:06 PM

If you could fuse Ryan's brain with Flacco's measurables, you'd have a super qb.

This is a tough call, I liked Flacco more coming out, and his arm is just amazing. He made throws today against the Jets defense that 95% of the qbs in the league won't make.

The Jets defense is so nasty. Some of those throws Flacco made, I mean you gotta give him his props, his numbers didn't look great, but I think the Jets are gonna do that to a lot of qbs.

I'm gonna go with Flacco.

yourfavestoner 09-13-2010 10:06 PM

Wow that draw was destroyed.

Edit: **** I keep posting in the wrong threads.

Complex 09-13-2010 10:37 PM

Flacco by default

I thought Matt Ryan was gonna suck, I was wrong for like a year. I also thought Jay Cutler was gonna suck and it took him awhile to prove me right too.

I think Joe Flacco is gonna have Kerry Collins like career but a little worst.

Saints-Tigers 09-13-2010 10:53 PM

Flacco was better as a rookie and last year, with less weapons.

He didn't look so good tonight though, I'd say his numbers are deceiving and he threw a lot of easy ones away.

Shiver 09-13-2010 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saints-Tigers (Post 2293288)
Flacco was better as a rookie and last year, with less weapons.

He didn't look so good tonight though, I'd say his numbers are deceiving and he threw a lot of easy ones away.

Uh, no he wasn't.

Saints-Tigers 09-13-2010 10:57 PM

his rookie year was debatable, last year wasn't all that close considering the disparity in offensive talent.

Shiver 09-13-2010 11:03 PM

Offensive talent? The Ravens had a top-3 O-Line, Derrick Mason, Todd Heap and Ray Rice. The Falcons had a 260-lbs Michael Turner for 8 games, shaky O-Line play and Roddy White nursing a knee injury all year.

Even then, Flacco had a huge slump from mid-season on, just like Ryan did, because both had injuries that detracted from their performances. So far, performance wise, it has been a push. I don't want to hear that Atlanta has superior offensive talent because that is ********.

SchizophrenicBatman 09-14-2010 12:27 AM

The game Flacco had today was pretty rough. It's what I thought he'd look like last year when they opened up the offense for him more. Granted, he was going up against a good D but man

Rosebud 09-14-2010 04:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Complex (Post 2293235)
Flacco by default

I thought Matt Ryan was gonna suck, I was wrong for like a year. I also thought Jay Cutler was gonna suck and it took him awhile to prove me right too.

I think Joe Flacco is gonna have Kerry Collins like career but a little worst.

lol Jay Cutler sucks? Are ********? I mean you can critique him if you want but he's doing a good job in a terrible situation no matter how critical of him you want to be. He has no OL and thus no running game, his receivers are unproven, inconsistent and none require a double team plus his OC loves deep drops which is a recipe for disaster with an OL that bad.

Caddy 09-14-2010 06:32 AM

Who cares! It's all about the FREE man. :D

iBoldin 09-14-2010 10:38 AM

I agree with BBD in that if you could fuse the two quarterbacks together (Flacco's arm strength and ability to make tremendous throws with Ryan's head and football I.Q.) then you'd have a great quarterback.

I still want Flacco to make better decisions. Jaws and Gruden talked about it last night, Flacco's decision making was sub-par and it lead to him getting destroyed on that first series. It seemed to effect him for the rest of the night, he didn't exactly make good decisions all the time. He's still learning, which is great, but I think he needs to focus a little more on the mental aspect of the game.

That's not to say he wasn't good, because he was awesome at some points of the game. That touch pass over the middle for Heap was a thing of beauty, and he's using Boldin in the perfect way.

Give me Flacco at this point in time. I still really like Matt Ryan but I just prefer Flacco.

MichaelJordanEberle (sabf) 09-14-2010 10:55 AM

Flacco looked awful last night. He missed a lot of throws. It's nice to have a big arm but if you're gonna lob it up and miss guys, GTFO with that bull. He needs to be more consistent getting the ball on target.

ATLDirtyBirds 09-14-2010 11:32 AM

It's tough to say. I'd probably take Flacco at this moment in time because he does have potential, while right now, Ryan looks like he will never be anything more than the Hasselback he was compared too.

It does need to be considered that Joe has superior talent surrounding him, and a much better OC, but one of Ryan's biggest selling points in becoming an elite QB (Mayock was all over this) was that he would be able to add arm strength ala Tom Brady. Alas, his arm is still mediocre.

Ravens1991 09-14-2010 11:55 AM

This is the 1st year that Flacco has better weapons around him. We will see how the season progresses. Also both players had there running game shut down so that effected them.

Flacco had a couple WTF moments last night, but he improved as the game went on. His deep ball accuracy improved from last season.

Right now it seems like a Rivers,Manning,Big Ben debate. We will see if anyone can pull ahead.