Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Best Team in the NFC? (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43361)

bearsfan_51 10-21-2010 07:19 AM

Best Team in the NFC?

It's been a topic of discussion elsewhere.

ESPN has their top 7 as:
1) Saints
2) Falcons
3) Eagles
4) Giants
5) Bears
6) Redskins
7) Packers

Don Banks from Sports Illustrated says:
1) Saints
2) Giants
3) Eagles
4) Falcons
5) Bears
6) Redskins
7) Packers

I personally would say:
1) Falcons
2) Eagles
3) Saints
4) Giants
5) Bears
6) Packers
7) Seahawks

AntoinCD 10-21-2010 07:28 AM

I like the Falcons at the minute. They seem good in all phases of the game and are playing very well. I think the Saints still have the ability to be top again though.

Giantsfan1080 10-21-2010 07:33 AM

I'm going with the Saints, Eagles, Falcons, Giants. They're all very close to each other though and I'll probably flip flop on this untill at least Week 12. The Giants can make a big jump though as we start to play our divisional games and we'll lget a better idea of what we're all about.

eaglesalltheway 10-21-2010 07:38 AM

I voted Saints, they aren't playing particularly well, but are without Pierre Thomas, and once he comes back, that should help both the offense and defense. The Eagles are creeping up there, and if the Giants can keep up the play they've had the last two weeks, they'll be VERY hard to stop. I think the Falcons are definitely up there as well, it'll be interesting to see how they respond this week, if they do well, they'd be right back up to the top spots, if they do poorly, they may be down toward 7 or 8. I don't trust that defense. If I had to rank them...

1. Saints
2. Eagles
3. Giants
4. Falcons
5. Bears
6. Packers
7. Redskins
8. Seahawks
9. Vikings
10. Cardinals
11. Rams
12. Bucs
13. Cowboys
14. Lions
15. 49ers
16. Panthers

I think the Cowboys, 9ers, and Lions could all be higher, and wil be later in the season. I also expect the Seahawks to fall off a bit.

21ST 10-21-2010 07:39 AM

Its kinda crazy that the redskins are getting no love at all

NY+Giants=NYG 10-21-2010 07:45 AM

I'd go with us. With the Saints coming alive, I would watch them for a couple weeks and see. But I'd say Us, Eagles, Falcons and Saints.

Giantsfan1080 10-21-2010 08:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21ST (Post 2344425)
Its kinda crazy that the redskins are getting no love at all

You guys are 3-3 and do look better than years past but I don't think you can say definitively say that you're better than 5th or 6th in the conference right now. You also don't get the benefit of the doubt because you've been the doormat of the NFC East for the last 2 years.

Jughead10 10-21-2010 08:24 AM

Am I the only one who thinks the Falcons are a pretender? I Can't see how anyone can rank them over the Eagles at the moment.

NY+Giants=NYG 10-21-2010 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jughead10 (Post 2344444)
Am I the only one who thinks the Falcons are a pretender? I Can't see how anyone can rank them over the Eagles at the moment.

I don't think they are an elite team. I was interested to see how they would do against the eagles, and they got owned big time. I don't see them as a threat in the NFC.

bearsfan_51 10-21-2010 08:50 AM

Quote:

It's just one game, they also beat the Saints on the road.

killxswitch 10-21-2010 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 2344455)
It's just one game, they also beat the Saints on the road.

That was a divisional game though which I think counts for something.

The NFC is definitely having a down year this year. It looked like the balance of power was going to shift back that direction but apparently not this season. Too many good AFC teams.

Sniper 10-21-2010 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bearsfan_51 (Post 2344420)
I personally would say:
1) Falcons
2) Eagles

Maybe they'll settle it on the field or something. Just being a road game doesn't account for a 14-point asswhooping and giving up 300+ yards to Kevin Kolb.

SenorGato 10-21-2010 09:21 AM

Quote:

*raises hand*

But over the Eagles? How 'bout them Giants?

I also think the Cowboys are sleeping giants themselves...This upcoming Monday Night game might be the best game of the season to that upcoming point.

scottyboy 10-21-2010 09:26 AM

ugh, i'm actually afraid of the cowboys, if they correct their mental mistakes against US, I will not be a happy camper.

also, I'm not a believer in the Falcons either. And I did project the Saints to need be too good this year. I'll hold off on a list, but I will eat crow now and say so far, the Eagles have proved me wrong. Although, I did not forsee Vick bein' all sex and stuff and actually playing

SeanTaylorRIP 10-21-2010 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 2344436)
You guys are 3-3 and do look better than years past but I don't think you can say definitively say that you're better than 5th or 6th in the conference right now. You also don't get the benefit of the doubt because you've been the doormat of the NFC East for the last 2 years.

2-0 in the NFC east, 2 more wins in the division than last year lol. But yeah the Skins are a 7-9 team. Probably end up with the same record as the Cowboys. Skins are a funny team, inferiorly talented than almost every team but we always manage to be in games. We could easily be 6-0 or 0-6 right now. We have a defense that doesn’t fit the personnel, and offensive skill players that would look poor in the CFL. Yet somehow we don’t look like the Panthers.

wicket 10-21-2010 09:46 AM

I voted saints on principle but I have to say that id wait till the offense gets back to last years (tampa game) level consistently

Halsey 10-21-2010 10:16 AM

The Saints. So what if they've started slow.

Good coaching, good QB, good O-line, play makers on both sides of the ball, etc.

They have most of the ingredients teams need.

TitanHope 10-21-2010 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 21ST (Post 2344425)
Its kinda crazy that the redskins are getting no love at all from BF51.

Everyone so far pretty much has ya'll as the #6 WC or barely missing the Playoffs, so yeah, fixed that quote for ya, chief.

But yeah, Saints and Giants, blabbity blah.

LonghornsLegend 10-21-2010 10:35 AM

I was just talking about how this is a down year for the NFC and no one is pulling away. The Falcons don't scare anyone and are pretenders to me, Eagles are a very good team especially with Vick at QB but their Corners make me think they can be beat pretty easily with a great scheme, Packers have too many injuries and for some reason were scared to trade a 4th for Lynch which would have made them a much more balanced team.

Saints and Giants are at the top now, wouldn't be surprised to see them the top 2 seeds in the NFC. Bears are a joke of a team, they are still winning some games early on but they'll embarrass themselves if they make the playoffs when you can't even make simple blocks to protect your QB.

It's a wide open NFC for alot of teams, we honestly won't know who the team to beat is until November-December when 1 team gets hot and starts playing their best football.

umphrey 10-21-2010 10:42 AM

The Saints will probably get stronger around playoff time but right now the Giants are playing the best and my super bowl pick for the week in a cloudy conference. No one is good.

bigbluedefense 10-21-2010 10:43 AM

Quote:

Im with you on this one. I don't think very highly of the Falcons.

bigbluedefense 10-21-2010 10:44 AM

I got the Saints at #1 right now since they rediscovered the run game.

Jvig43 10-21-2010 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SenorGato (Post 2344471)
*raises hand*

But over the Eagles? How 'bout them Giants?

I also think the Cowboys are sleeping giants themselves...This upcoming Monday Night game might be the best game of the season to that upcoming point.

Morton 10-21-2010 10:52 AM

The problem with the Falcons is that they're merely "solid" in all aspects of their game. There are no truly elite playmakers on either side of the ball. Matt Ryan is good, but the's not elite. Michael Turner is good, but again, not elite. Abraham used to be an elite pass rusher, but right now he's just very good. They're going to be in the playoffs, but I wouldn't consider them clearly better than the Saints or the Giants, or even the Cowboys, Eagles, or Vikings.

I think right now the best team in the NFC is the Giants and it's not even close. Eli Manning is playing well - he's not an elite quarterback, but if the Giants running game is strong, he's more than adequate. The key difference in the Giants this year is that their defensive playmakers like Osi Umenyiora and Justin Tuck are all healthy and playing at an extremely high level. The Giants have the #1 defense in the NFC by a wide margin. They can stop both the run and the pass, and in the playoffs defense matters the most.

1. Giants (#1 defense and "good enough" offense)
2. Saints (if they maintain their #1 offense and it doesn't sputter)
3. Vikings (yes, despite the record - I think this team will be good)
4. Eagles (depends on how consistent the defense is from here on out)
5. Falcons (solid all-around but that doesn't win you a Super Bowl)

LizardState 10-21-2010 10:56 AM

It's the Saints at the top of the food chain. They're the champions until somebody takes it from them.

Not buying into the Giants hype. Weren't they saying this about them this time a yr ago? You know, before they folded like a bad hand.....