Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Lovie Smith vs Brad Childress (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43411)

P-L 10-24-2010 08:10 PM

Lovie Smith vs Brad Childress

Which NFC North coach is worse?

Not trying to troll here. I will almost guarantee that both fan bases agree that their coaches are just awful. It's almost like these two are trying to outdo each other in awfulness each week.

umphrey 10-24-2010 08:13 PM

They are both awful but I'll vote Childress because Lovie hired Martz to cover up his biggest flaw which worked for a couple of weeks

niel89 10-24-2010 08:21 PM

Childress is just doing so much less with so much more.

hockey619 10-24-2010 08:24 PM

Lovie is an ok coach, and coaches the D pretty well, solid coach nothing special.

Childress has a much more talented team (including one of the most talented running backs in the NFL) that he finds a way to lose with on a weekly basis. His offensive gameplans are horrendous and he really is screwing Peterson over with the way he subs him in and makes it blatant hes getting the ball.

Jvig43 10-24-2010 08:35 PM

I'll vote Childress. Lovie got his team to the super bowl with Rex Grossman. Childress only got to the AFC with a much more talented team.

BeerBaron 10-24-2010 08:37 PM

The pain you feel as a fan when Lovie throws the challenge flag is unmatched by just about anything else in the sporting world....

Monomach 10-24-2010 08:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockey619 (Post 2350011)
Lovie is an ok coach, and coaches the D pretty well, solid coach nothing special.

Spoken like someone who hasn't watched very many Bears games.

Lovie is hands-down the worst coach I have ever seen as far as challenges go...and he's pretty high up on the list for timeouts, too. He's also not coaching the defense. He did that last year, and it sucked. It's Marinelli now.

I'd gladly give up a third round pick and Lovie for Childress. Not saying Childress is good (he's not!), but he's a freaking genius in comparison.

Keep in mind that Lovie called a timeout when:
1) there were seconds left in a tied fourth quarter
2) it was fourth down
3) the opposing team had the ball
4) the opposing team was out of timeouts
5) the opposing team was out of field goal range
6) the opposing team was walking off of the field to prepare for OT
7) IT WAS A PLAYOFF GAME!

I said it then, I say it now. He should have been fired, dragged out behind Halas Hall, and shot the next day.

prock 10-24-2010 08:58 PM

Chilly just decided to give up the last 24 seconds of the first half with two time outs and Randy Moss on his team. He is the worst.

BeerBaron 10-24-2010 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prock (Post 2350103)
Chilly just decided to give up the last 24 seconds of the first half with two time outs and Randy Moss on his team. He is the worst.

Lovie Smith decided it was acceptable to go for it on 4th and goal when a FG would have put them ahead.

Boom. Poor coaching Trump card.

prock 10-24-2010 09:01 PM

That is true... But Lovie's team isn't any good, and we should be very good, Chilly is ******* holding us back.

Shiver 10-24-2010 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 2350042)

Lovie is hands-down the worst coach I have ever seen as far as challenges go...and he's pretty high up on the list for timeouts, too. He's also not coaching the defense. He did that last year, and it sucked. It's Marinelli now.

I'd gladly give up a third round pick and Lovie for Childress. Not saying Childress is good (he's not!), but he's a freaking genius in comparison.

2) it was fourth down

I said it then, I say it now. He should have been fired, dragged out behind Halas Hall, and shot the next day.

When was that?! I don't remember.

BeerBaron 10-24-2010 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shiver (Post 2350123)
When was that?! I don't remember.

Bears against Seahawks back in the 06 season I believe. He was hoping they'd punt to Hester.....sigh.

People not voting for Lovie haven't watched enough Bears games.

There was also the near legendary time Lovie called a timeout so he could challenge, challenged, then lost the challenge and another timeout.

prock 10-24-2010 09:50 PM

People not voting for Lovie have watched too many Vikings games, that is the problem.

Go_Eagles77 10-24-2010 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2350164)
Bears against Seahawks back in the 06 season I believe. He was hoping they'd punt to Hester.....sigh.

People not voting for Lovie haven't watched enough Bears games.

There was also the near legendary time Lovie called a timeout so he could challenge, challenged, then lost the challenge and another timeout.

Andy Reid did that once, too. But I'm sure that doesn't surprise you, haha. So pointless.

wogitalia 10-24-2010 10:06 PM

I love Childress the talent developer and roster constructor, I absolutely hate him as a coach and play caller.

Childress would probably be an awesome college coach, he really has done a good job of assessing players and getting good production from them but his playcalling is just horrific.

Lovie just looks confused permanently. I actually think I prefer Childress to be honest but I don't want either of them calling plays, that is for sure!

hockey619 10-24-2010 10:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monomach (Post 2350042)

2) it was fourth down

Except ive seen lovie coach a team to the super bowl with rex ******* grossman as the quarterback and no legitimate wr's to bail him out.

And im not saying hes a superstar coach whos got his crap together, i mean my giants went apeshit on his O-line and he did nothing about it, just stood their looking confused. Hes done a good job at times, but i dont think hes good in game making adjustments and thinking on his feet.

And ive watched brad childress sabotage a very talented team while investing the future of the team in Tarvaris Jackson despite having seen him suck constantly time after time after time. Ive actually seen the Vikings quite a few times this and last year in their primetime games and this is the first time ive seen childress stick with the run in a close game and not just panic and start throwing non stop. *sob* they grow up so fast.

hockey619 10-24-2010 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prock (Post 2350103)

This kills me i hate when coaches do this.

He has absolutely no balls that was pathetic.

Brodeur 10-24-2010 10:46 PM

Both coaches are terrible, but I give the edge to Lovie because I've been wondering for longer why he still has a job.

prock 10-24-2010 10:48 PM

If we don't quit in the first half and get a field goal, we win easily. I hate Chilly.

BeerBaron 10-24-2010 10:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brodeur (Post 2350479)
Both coaches are terrible, but I give the edge to Lovie because I've been wondering for longer why he still has a job.

McCaskeys are cheap...He rode a top 5 defense of the last decade and enough "Good Rex" showings and Hester returns to a SB....He's not hard on the players at all so they love him.....

MidwayMonster31 10-24-2010 10:55 PM

I think Lovie Smith gets more out of his players than Brad Childress does, he is however, a horrible talent evaluator, makes a lot of bad decisions with lack of adjustments, timeouts and challenges (has he won one yet this year?) and his smug attitude annoys the hell out of everyone.
Brad Childress, with his play calling and clock management would make me bash several holes in my wall with my skull.

vikes_28 10-24-2010 11:00 PM

I think Childress would be a great GM. But he doesn't know how to call plays. Wilf needs to get him out of Minnesota. Signing Favre saved his job. I would expect him to be fired mid season if he doesn't start winning games. Leslie Frazier would be a much better coach.

sweetness34 10-24-2010 11:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by umphrey (Post 2349961)
They are both awful but I'll vote Childress because Lovie hired Martz to cover up his biggest flaw which worked for a couple of weeks

Lovie hired his buddy, not necessarily the most qualified man for the job. It just so happneed that Martz was out there, he's good with QB's and we needed help in the pass game.

Both are pretty bad head coaches, but obviously I have a bias against Lovie. He's a ******* ass clown. He contradicts himself every post game press conference.

"I supported the game plan we had in place for this week."

Two minutes later...

"We need to run the ball more in the future and not rely so much on the pass game."

He's ******* clueless. You say he coached us to a Super Bowl appearance. I say that talent, Ron Rivera, a sick run game and good Rex got us to the Super Bowl. Once teams figured out his defensive scheme he was too damn stubborn to change it. He hired a yes man and fired Rivera because Ron disagreed with his defensive mentality (Ron wanted to be more aggressive, Lovie wanted to stay with the Tampa-2). He vowed that Babich was the answer and two years later took over. He sucked running the defense last year and hired Marinelli (I'll give him props on this one because our defense has been pretty damn good, although having Peppers, Briggs and Urlacher helps a bit).

And don't even get me started on his ineptness of the offensive side of the ball. He makes Mike Singletary look like Don Coryell as far as offensive knowledge goes. He hired Terry ******* Shea and Ron Turdner to run his offense, both huge misses. On paper Martz appeared to be a decent hire, but he was also a buddy and he forgot the fact that Martz's offense works best when he has an offensive line, two big time WR's, and a HOF QB/RB combo.

The past two weeks he's watched us have an 80/20 run/pass ratio with one of the worst OL's I've ever seen and a unit that can't identify simple pass rushes. I'd rather see us run for 2/3 yards a clip 25+ times than watch Jay get killed, run for his life or throw into triple coverage.

But wait, I thought we "got off the bus running."

Lovie's stubbornness and arrogance will drive you to drink, break a **** ton of remotes and pull your hair out. He'll tell you to trust him and that his system works, even when his team is getting lit up. He even said twice last season (and once so far this year) that he did not have his team fully prepared for the game.

This is pretty much like choosing between two piles of dog ****, but give me the one I haven't smelled yet.

HeavyLeggedWaistBender 10-24-2010 11:07 PM

I <3 this thread.

hawkeye123 10-24-2010 11:08 PM

I would take both over Singletary.