Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pro Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44)
-   -   Warning: Don't touch Lord Favre (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43636)

descendency 11-05-2010 12:26 PM

Warning: Don't touch Lord Favre
 
http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl...ory?id=5767916

Quote:

New England Patriots defensive lineman Myron Pryor has been fined $7,500 for a fourth-quarter hit that opened a cut on the chin of Minnesota Vikings quarterback Brett Favre, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

Pryor was not penalized on the play, which resulted in Favre getting 10 stitches and leaving the game.

Pryor told the Boston Herald earlier this week that his helmet "slid up into Favre's chin" after he first hit the quarterback in the chest.

He added: "You don't mean to hurt somebody. And when it happened, I didn't think I hit him hard enough to make him [injured]. But maybe just from the impact going to the ground and from me laying on top of him, that's what made the chin messed up."

The Patriots face the Cleveland Browns on Sunday in Cleveland.
They need to put some flags around his waist so people won't have to hit him while trying to make a textbook tackle.

If you haven't seen the hit, you need to. This is absolutely absurd.

edit: The tackle was in his chest. The helmet was a good 6+ inches below his chin when the act of falling down cause their bodies to shift. When Favre hit the ground his head came forward and went into the top of Pryor's helmet. Pryor didn't drive him into the ground or his helmet into Favre's chin.

SickwithIt1010 11-05-2010 12:29 PM

yeah i saw that, this is ******* weak. Just put a god damn flag on the old fart. This was a clean hit.

I think Troy Polamalu's idea is the best solution for this. Get a group of retired players or something of that sort and have them form a group that will decide whether or not the hit was wreckless or not. I think former players/players would have a better idea of a players intent.

ElectricEye 11-05-2010 12:29 PM

Clean hit. No question. I'm not being a homer at all either. Merri's hit was cheap **** and dirty as hell, but this one was completely clean. Players get cut every single game. Just because this one happened to Brett Favre doesn't mean he should be fined.

wonderbredd24 11-05-2010 12:30 PM

Personally, I think Steve Hutchinson should be fined for the look out block he threw on that play.

That was just good football by Pryor

ElectricEye 11-05-2010 12:33 PM


There's the hit. The sliding helmet thing is crap too. His helmet was NOWHERE near his.

vikes_28 11-05-2010 12:37 PM

I ******* hate Favre. such a huge cry baby.

FlyingElvis 11-05-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricEye (Post 2366584)
Clean hit. No question. I'm not being a homer at all either. Merri's hit was cheap **** and dirty as hell, but this one was completely clean. Players get cut every single game. Just because this one happened to Brett Favre doesn't mean he should be fined.

Exactly.


Also, how was holding not called on this play? Pryor gets a fine for beasting through a hold and making a clean tackle.

BeerBaron 11-05-2010 12:42 PM

You just can't have some no-name defensive lineman knocking out Lord Favre.

(Or at least that's how I assume the NFL is justifying this....)

Total BS. There needs to be major rule clarification this offseason....

Jvig43 11-05-2010 01:01 PM

That tackle followed the rules the NFL just released, but **** it fine him anyway because its Farve? Please where are the people defending this rule saying everyone was overreacting (still only one case I know) but this was the **** everyone was worried about. **** off Goodell..

killxswitch 11-05-2010 01:03 PM

I wouldn't be surprised if they reverse the fine if it gets enough criticism. I remember Justin Tuck hitting a QB clean but hard and the NFL tried to fine him, but caught so much flack for it that they said "Oh, uh, nevermind."

CashmoneyDrew 11-05-2010 01:07 PM

I wouldn't pay if I was Pryor.

FuzzyGopher 11-05-2010 01:09 PM

I'm hoping that this is some bad info and that maybe the fine is on the guy that went helmet to helmet on Favre earlier in the game.

vidae 11-05-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VoodooMonkey (Post 2366632)
I wouldn't pay if I was Pryor.

Yeah I'd tell them to stuff it and totally appeal that ********. I'd never pay that.

ElectricEye 11-05-2010 01:14 PM

This should be appealed. Pryor isn't a rich man either. He's a league minimum guy right now I believe. That's not just something he can sneeze at.

MetSox17 11-05-2010 01:15 PM

Wow. I've been okay with all the fines up to now, but this one is just embarrassing. That was a completely clean hit. Top to bottom. What a joke.

Don Vito 11-05-2010 01:17 PM

Yeah that is complete and total bull ****. Clean hit, he got hurt. It happens all of the time, if he still wants to keep playing then they can't bend the rules for him. So bs.

ElectricEye 11-05-2010 01:19 PM

So I'm totally on the **** Goodell bandwagon now. I've always been a step away from it, but this is it for me. Guys a clown. We're headed towards a lockout and he's trying to change the most basic rules in the game. ********. Get him out of there.

Paranoidmoonduck 11-05-2010 01:20 PM

That's a bad fine NFL. Really bad.

killxswitch 11-05-2010 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricEye (Post 2366641)
This should be appealed. Pryor isn't a rich man either. He's a league minimum guy right now I believe. That's not just something he can sneeze at.

I bet the Pats would give him some sort of work out bonus to cover it or make it hurt less if he does have to pay. I know teams have done that in the past.

FlyingElvis 11-05-2010 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 2366658)
I bet the Pats would give him some sort of work out bonus to cover it or make it hurt less if he does have to pay. I know teams have done that in the past.

I was saying in the team thread that this one has "team donations" written all over it. I would be shocked if Pryor actually has to open his wallet at all, assuming it doesn't get reversed under appeal. One of the big money guys (Mayo, I'm looking at you) could hand him a nice wad of straight cash homie.

ElectricEye 11-05-2010 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by killxswitch (Post 2366658)
I bet the Pats would give him some sort of work out bonus to cover it or make it hurt less if he does have to pay. I know teams have done that in the past.

Oh, no doubt about it. I doubt he ends up having to pay this either way. I just don't understand how the league office could think this would be absolutely anything to help their image or is the right thing to do. Very, very stupid.

Jvig43 11-05-2010 01:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricEye (Post 2366689)
Oh, no doubt about it. I doubt he ends up having to pay this either way. I just don't understand how the league office could think this would be absolutely anything to help their image or is the right thing to do. Very, very stupid.

Is the NFL even stating why he got fined? I mean theres really nowhere else he could of hit Farve, a little higher and its helmet to helemt, a little lower and its the legs which is also a penalty/fine. Theres like a two and a half foot radius area where you can hit the QB now and Pryor got it and still got fined.

J255979-11nine 11-05-2010 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jvig43 (Post 2366714)
Is the NFL even stating why he got fined? I mean theres really nowhere else he could of hit Farve, a little higher and its helmet to helemt, a little lower and its the legs which is also a penalty/fine. Theres like a two and a half foot radius area where you can hit the QB now and Pryor got it and still got fined.

It's obvious that they want to eliminate contacting the quarterback entirely! Can't risk losing the faces of the NFL to injury.

BeerBaron 11-05-2010 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by J255979-11nine (Post 2366719)
It's obvious that they want to eliminate contacting the quarterback entirely! Can't risk losing the faces of the NFL to injury.

Basically, yes. If you hurt a starting QB, much less a star, expect a fine. Just seems to be how it is.

Jvig43 11-05-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2366723)
Basically, yes. If you hurt a starting QB, much less a star, expect a fine. Just seems to be how it is.

Well I think its pretty obvious from this thats true, its still effing bull ****. Doesnt help this whole tension with the lockout next year. Can you imagine not having Football next year, I think it'd be the end of the world.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:53 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.