Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (FL) (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43940)

Hollywood 11-21-2010 11:49 AM

Lamar Miller, RB, Miami (FL)

I know everyone is high on Trent Richardson coming out next year, but I think Lamar Miller is another guy who will go in the first round that isn't getting a lot of pub yet. He is averaging 6.6 YPC right now and getting better each game. He was a track star coming out of HS and was probably the fastest guy to come out of the state of Florida his year. Legit size at 5'11" 205 and should test ridiculously well at the combine. Been extremely impressed by his vision and cut back ability so far and the guy just runs really hard. If I had to make a comparison I'd go with Ronnie Brown coming out of Auburn.

Thoughts on him as a prospect? Will he be the second RB taken in the draft next year after Richardson?

ToldLikeItIs 11-21-2010 12:23 PM

i like watching miller run, he cuts back well

StaticGator 11-21-2010 02:00 PM

I only caught him in the highlights, but he has a prototypical compact body type and seemed to never stop moving his feet and going forward. I liked what I saw.

shylo3716 11-21-2010 03:40 PM

It was said he ran a 4.27 40 at practice, but another site projects him to run.....40 Time:4.42, Low:4.30, High:4.56

Duffman57 11-21-2010 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2391032)
It was said he ran a 4.27 40 at practice, but another site projects him to run.....40 Time:4.42, Low:4.30, High:4.56

Thats really impressive if a not tiny guy like him is able to run a 4.2. He's interesting to watch, and definately a fast fast player. Should be interesting to see where he goes when he comes out (Only a RS frosh)

Brent 11-21-2010 04:59 PM

watching that Miami game last night, I was surprised by how fast he ran.

TACKLE 11-22-2010 01:46 AM

Lamar's skill-set reminds me a lot of a young LT. Not saying he'll get to that level but they have a ton of similarities as runningbacks.

etk 11-22-2010 10:27 AM

I think Mike James will be a better NFL back. He has the perfect frame and he runs hard and explodes through the hole. He played FB for us as a tFr and is also a good receiver and pass blocker. Miller is a special back but James seems like a prototypical NFL starter because he's a complete back. He can push the pile, find a small crease and make something out of nothing. Miller is more of an elusive, big play back that will rack up lots of yards if you make him big holes and cutback lanes.

Ozzy 11-22-2010 10:44 AM

Miller is solid, however remember a few years back everyone said this exact same stuff about Graig Cooper. About how fast he was and how great he would become, and injuries have really hurt him and he has not turned out to be what a lot of people thought.

Until Miller proves he can be the man on a consistent basis and be productive, it is still kind of up in the air. Not sure yet if he has elite running back ability. If one considers him a sophomore instead of a RS Freshman, not sure he is better than the likes of Trent Richardson, Knile Davis, LaMichael James, Ryan Williams, Dion Lewis etc. Heck one could easily argue Edwin Baker is just as talented as Miller in terms of production and consistency.

We will see how he progresses, still the hype around Miami running backs at times rarely lives up to what they are supposed to be.

Hollywood 11-22-2010 01:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy (Post 2392769)

We will see how he progresses, still the hype around Miami running backs at times rarely lives up to what they are supposed to be.

eh? What other RB at Miami was hyped that hasn't panned out? And I don't think Cooper was ever hyped that much, if he wasn't for his injury in the bowl game he would have been a 2nd round - 4th round pick, which is where I think most people "hyped" him to be.

shylo3716 11-22-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hollywood (Post 2393019)
eh? What other RB at Miami was hyped that hasn't panned out? And I don't think Cooper was ever hyped that much, if he wasn't for his injury in the bowl game he would have been a 2nd round - 4th round pick, which is where I think most people "hyped" him to be.

I got 2 for you that you may have forgot about.......

5 Star RB #2 Overall-Charlie Jones 5'11 200 (Memphis transfer)
4 Star RB #4 Overall-Bobby Washington 6'1'' 200 (N.C. State/Eastern Kentucky transfer)

Hurricanes25 11-22-2010 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2393057)
I got 2 for you that you may have forgot about.......

5 Star RB #2 Overall-Charlie Jones 5'11 200 (Memphis transfer)
4 Star RB #4 Overall-Bobby Washington 6'1'' 200 (N.C. State/Eastern Kentucky transfer)

They were hyped coming in to Miami but never did anything once they got there. I think Miller has already shown that he is better than both of them but I guess only time will tell.

shylo3716 11-22-2010 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 (Post 2393070)
They were hyped coming in to Miami but never did anything once they got there. I think Miller has already shown that he is better than both of them but I guess only time will tell.

I wish we would have kept Bobby Washington and gave him a chance, because I would have loved to see what he was capable of doing for us.

Hurricanes25 11-22-2010 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2393075)
I wish we would have kept Bobby Washington and gave him a chance, because I would have loved to see what he was capable of doing for us.

Yeah, I heard he was a major headcase though.

shylo3716 11-22-2010 03:08 PM

We have not put out a 1st rd RB in a while!!!!!!!......I hope Lamar Miller breaks the cycle

Black Bolt 11-22-2010 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2393115)
We have not put out a 1st rd RB in a while!!!!!!!......I hope Lamar Miller breaks the cycle

As a Tech fan, I was happy as hell to see you all move back to the shotgun after Miller was gouging us.

djp 11-22-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etk (Post 2392755)
I think Mike James will be a better NFL back. He has the perfect frame and he runs hard and explodes through the hole. He played FB for us as a tFr and is also a good receiver and pass blocker. Miller is a special back but James seems like a prototypical NFL starter because he's a complete back. He can push the pile, find a small crease and make something out of nothing. Miller is more of an elusive, big play back that will rack up lots of yards if you make him big holes and cutback lanes.

Haha, you have loved Mike James since Day 1.

shylo3716 11-22-2010 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djp (Post 2393278)
Haha, you have loved Mike James since Day 1.

It's good that we have 2 DYNAMIC backs in Miller and James but next year 1 will tend to overshadow the other.

shylo3716 11-23-2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by etk (Post 2392755)

Do you have a Mike James thread already? If not can you post 1 please so I can see everyone's consensus on him.

shylo3716 05-09-2011 04:40 PM

Only a Sophomore will be expected to take on the bulk of the carries this year, with Damien Berry and Graig Cooper leaving due to graduation. Although Miller will most likely become the starter after an excellent Spring Game, he will share the load with returning RB’s Mike James and Storm Johnson. One of the most unique things to know about Miller, is he also is a track guy which is a plus for a Miami team, who has always been known as a speed school. As of late the Canes have been lacking the recognition over the past couple of years. This year he ran 6.79 seconds in the indoor track & field 60 meter dash event. When it is all said and done, Lamar Miller will be on a list with a long line of GREAT RB’s, to come out of the University of Miami (FL). I can almost guarantee if he comes out after this season, he will be a 1st-2nd Round guy in the 2012 NFL Draft.

Hurricanes25 05-09-2011 04:43 PM

IMO, Miller is our best back since McGahee and that's saying a lot. He could take it to the house anytime he gets his hand on the ball. Not only does he have great speed, but he can also run between the tackles. Miller is a 1st round talent.

shylo3716 05-09-2011 04:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hurricanes25 (Post 2599160)
IMO, Miller is our best back since McGahee and that's saying a lot. He could take it to the house anytime he gets his hand on the ball. Not only does he have great speed, but he can also run between the tackles. Miller is a 1st round talent.

Spring Game 2 TD Runs 1 for 60+ the other for 80+ yards.

countryboi 05-10-2011 08:38 PM

Miller was by far the best back on the U last year....I really hope we can move away from the running back by committee

shylo3716 05-10-2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countryboi (Post 2599751)
Miller was by far the best back on the U last year....I really hope we can move away from the running back by committee

I actually like it, because if one goes down it won't be hard for them to pick up where he left off because he is already in the flow of things.

countryboi 05-11-2011 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shylo3716 (Post 2599778)
I actually like it, because if one goes down it won't be hard for them to pick up where he left off because he is already in the flow of things.

I can see that side but i feel like its hard to get in a rhythm cause they are always subbing in and out.