Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   UGA's lame duck coach (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44790)

LizardState 01-02-2011 01:54 PM

UGA's lame duck coach

From the Macon, GA ppr early this morning:

http://www.macon.com/2011/01/02/1395...ead-coach.html

They said he was "coaching scared," going for the FG with 4th & inches vs UCF. Also every time they faced a good defense they "choked."

Granted it was a substandard UGA team this yr compared to past yrs. but they had a healthy A.C. Green & numerous chances to win their bowl game.

Richt was already on the hotseat per most preseason lists including this College FB pg on NFLDC. The fact that the recruiting at Athens has tanked compared to past yrs (UGA had a #1 overall NFL draft selection in Stafford) as a consequence of poor game day performances & especially that 11 UGA players made a police blotter somewhere this last yr. + the criticism launched by many of his pressuring his players to attend his own church's services with him 4-5 yrs. ago are major factors that could very well put an end to the Richt regime.

UGA is a large, wealthy SEC program that was a former perennial contender that won't take a hit of this magnitude in its pride suffered this season. They are rumored to already be going after UGA alum & Alabama DC Kirby Smart for the 2nd time in 12 mos, this time with a HC offer. (espn.com colege FB with an insider story here).

I think Richt is done.

thule 01-02-2011 01:57 PM

Todd Grantham turned that defense around in just a year I'd have to think his name might come up. That said I don't think he'd get the job. Any Georgia fans have thoughts on what he did this year?

Halsey 01-02-2011 02:01 PM

There are rumors/whispers/hints that Richt may not actually make it to next season as UGA's HC, but I won't believe it until I see it. I wonder how all the talk is affecting him. If I was him I might be thinking about making a mutual parting with UGA and trying to get another job. Maybe someone like Pitt would want to give him a shot.

Halsey 01-02-2011 02:07 PM

Many, many UGA fans wouldn't agree with me, but I'd like to see UGA hire a minority coach. There's still a 'good ole boy' factor to college football that makes it tough on minority coaches to get fair shots and there are some good minority candidates out there. I don't know if he'd leave Louisville 1 year after taking the job, but I like what I see of Charlie Strong. Not only would it be a good move from a social standpoint, but UGA is still perceived as a 'good ole boy' university in the Atlanta area. That affects recruiting. Charlie Strong is a great recruiter.

keylime_5 01-02-2011 02:11 PM

they should keep Richt. He has Georgia much better than they've been before he took over and he's a good guy who happens to be the only coach in the SEC who chooses not to do the cheating oversigning ********.

CashmoneyDrew 01-02-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2456229)
they should keep Richt. He has Georgia much better than they've been before he took over and he's a good guy who happens to be the only coach in the SEC who chooses not to do the cheating oversigning ********.

Being a "nice guy" isn't gonna cut it. UGA should be competing for the SEC east every year with their talent base and he's not getting that done. Not to mention how poorly he handles his team off the field. I think he'll get one more year and then be done.

keylime_5 01-02-2011 02:19 PM

the guy has 6 seasons with at least 10 wins, won at least 8 games every year he's been there, has won the SEC East 4 times, and won 2 conference championships in the toughest conference in the sport. He finally had a losing season this past year with a freshman QB, give the guy a break. He's done all this without the advantage of signing extra players and cutting old ones like Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, and everyone else in the league does.

Halsey 01-02-2011 02:20 PM

UGA has the resources and potential to compete with anyone. There's nothing that schools like Alabama and Oklahoma have that UGA doesn't. It simply requires finding the right people for the jobs of running the program. Yes, some schools have geographic and financial advantages, but that is a short list.

CashmoneyDrew 01-02-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keylime_5 (Post 2456257)
the guy has 6 seasons with at least 10 wins, won at least 8 games every year he's been there, has won the SEC East 4 times, and won 2 conference championships in the toughest conference in the sport. He finally had a losing season this past year with a freshman QB, give the guy a break. He's done all this without the advantage of signing extra players and cutting old ones like Alabama, LSU, Tennessee, and everyone else in the league does.

This hasn't happened at TN in years.

Rabscuttle 01-02-2011 02:26 PM

I was upset when he left FSU thinking the Noles were losing out on their next great coach. I'm not sure what's gone wrong for Richt at UGA if the job is too much for him or what the deal is. If he doesn't oversign well that puts him a step behind the competition for sure.

keylime_5 01-02-2011 02:28 PM

my mistake, not to the extent as it has at Mississippi, Alabama, or LSU, but still Tennessee has signed 216 players since 2002......Ohio State has signed 180. They still go crazy with recruiting numbers even though they aren't really oversigning.

wonderbredd24 01-02-2011 02:30 PM

Mark Richt is a fantastic coach. The fact he is on the hot seat so much is kind of ridiculous. They might do him a favor by letting him go, so he can be the at the top of everyone else's list for head coaches.

keylime_5 01-02-2011 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rabscuttle (Post 2456281)
I was upset when he left FSU thinking the Noles were losing out on their next great coach. I'm not sure what's gone wrong for Richt at UGA if the job is too much for him or what the deal is. If he doesn't oversign well that puts him a step behind the competition for sure.

the oversigning is just part of it. That's not to mention the negative recruiting and dirty recruiters like Saban and until recently Kiffin who do whatever it takes to get recruits from other schools. Why do you think there's by far more decommits and pulled scholarships in that league than anywhere else? The ethics for some of the coaches in the SEC are lax to say the least. Richt does it right and has a higher standard, it's a lot easier to fire a guy who is a scumbag.

Flaming Mo 01-07-2011 11:40 AM

The program has gone through a lot of changes in recent years in terms if coaches and schemes. Just think of it, Grantham had to play a 3-4 last year with almost exclusively 4-3 talent. Losing A.J. Green at the beginning of the season didnt help either. They are just three years removed from a great season and a Sugar Bowl win (with Moreno and Stafford as freshmen) and the year after that they got hit by a ridiculous amount of injuries (Sturdivant, Owens etc). Circumstances havent been great for Richt though I think he deserves some critisizm for not bringing in prime recruiting classes in the last two years which shows on the field. This year is gonna be very important with all the huge talent from the state of Georgia. If he cant pull in some big names it might seal his fate but he should definitely get another year...