Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Cleveland Browns Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Official Browns 2011 Draft Thread (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44792)

kalbears13 01-02-2011 04:26 PM

Official Browns 2011 Draft Thread

With the season over and a crushing loss to the Steelers, it is evident that the Browns need major help...well everywhere, but definitely in the defensive front 7.

STsACE 01-02-2011 07:06 PM

Linebackers, DEs please.........

RT as well............

Find a #1 WR in FA, hopefully.

Of course, it all depends on what happens with Holmgren and Mangini's Monday meeting. We'll see what direction we go before we start saying what is the most glaring need in the draft.

MattyFos 01-02-2011 08:23 PM

I thnk the 34 should be done away with. We've been trying it for what 6 years? That being said if we switch to a 43, we only need 5 of the front 7. Lol. Rogers is a beast in the 43. I would like to draft Prince Amukamara in the first. We can get a real good receiver in the second. Need a right tackle, maybe in the third.

kalbears13 01-03-2011 12:24 AM

So with the loss today, the Browns are picking 6th.

Yay for progress!

MattyFos 01-03-2011 09:19 AM

Won't there be a coin flip between 5th and 6th with the Cardinals?

kalbears13 01-03-2011 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyFos (Post 2458333)
Won't there be a coin flip between 5th and 6th with the Cardinals?

I think it goes SOS, divisional record and then coin flip.

MattyFos 01-03-2011 03:05 PM

Gotcha!
Ok, now that Mangini is out. Who are you hoping H&H bring in to coach. There's a ton of Holmgren disciples out there.
Gruden
Mooch
Mornhinweg
Other coaches
Fox
Cowher
Fisher
I'm sure I'm missing others. In his presser Holmgren said that "money isn't an option" when it comes to getting the HC. So any of those coaches are, theoretically, possible. I wish we could get Mornhinweg to be OC. But it's not possible, because it'd be a lateral move. I trust Holmgren to make the right decision. I would like to see McDaniels in as OC. But I don't think H&H would bring in a guy that neither of them are familiar with.
I have a feeling it'll be Mornhinweg as HC. He's from Holmgren's tree and was with Heckert in Philly. It makes too much sense to not happen.

In Holmgren we trust!

MattyFos 01-03-2011 03:06 PM

I would love Jim Zorn to come in and work with McCoy

Brown Leader 01-04-2011 04:09 PM

"We didn't win enough" comes off as more of an excuse for a team that had one of the toughest schedules and is definitely better than last years squad. Clearly then, Holmgren has a direction for the team that he thinks will not coincide with Mangini. I'm wondering if that has anything to do with Mangini's philosophy about the type of guys he would bring in-high character types without any off field incidents at all.

I'm not advocating for this to happen but it looks like a possibility-if rumored top candidate Marty Mornhinweg is brought in I actually think Cam Newton could be a target for Holmgren and Heckert. McCoy wasn't necessarily drafted to be a franchise QB and there wasn't consensus on taking him. I think it's conceivable he might be looked at still as a guy who could be a serviceable starter but not much more. If things had gone to plan he would not have even seen the field and drafting a QB #1 would not be much of a debate. With the firing of Mangini it seems like Holmgren is following a plan he already put in place, and in that, could be drafting a big time QB prospect.

Heckert brought back Vick and has evaluated McNabb his whole career, if he is sold on Cam, it's a done deal. He also brought in Kolb, who in my opinion is a bigger armed McCoy, point is, his evaluation of Cam will hold weight. Of course Mornhinweg also coached all three and is being praised for his work with Vick. Then there's Holmgren with final say, who drafted a dual threat in Seneca years ago to be a QB, when some thought he needed a position change. If he thinks Newton will be a star it won't matter what fans/analysts think of Colt.

Finnally our draft position makes the chances of drafting Cam fairly good. IMO Buffalo will not draft him, and neither will Arizona or Cincy. Our situation is more stable than those places-Holmgren will be here for a good while-until the team is contending, and McCoy could be starting for at least two seasons. If McCoy proves them wrong and turns out to be a good long term starter then they have a valuable bargaining chip.

I like the potential of McCoy but I also liked Frye-its still very debatable if Colt is a franchise QB. Heckert and Holmgren evaluated Harrison after last season's breakout and still didn't consider him a franchise type back when many analysts were touting him as a fantasy keeper.

MattyFos 01-04-2011 10:32 PM

@Browns

IN-TER-EST-ING!!1!1!!!1!1!!

Never pieced together that puzzle like you. I like the way your mind works. I don't know how I feel about Cam. But I trust H&H. If they go that route then I think it'll work out. I want Morningwood. That was Lions fans nickname for Morhninweg.. Haha

MattyFos 01-05-2011 09:48 AM

Scheduled interviews;

Perry Fewell DC, Giants
Pat Shumur OC, Rams
Mike Mularkey OC, Falcons
Marty Mornhinweg OC, Eagles

mdmgrand 01-05-2011 11:09 PM

I'll take Mornhinweg, and with that I really do not want Cam Newton on the Browns.... I'd still take the top receiver available, check McCoy out for another year before just throwing in the towel...

Morton 01-06-2011 02:43 PM

You guys will be lucky if you get Morninwheg. He'll take your offense to a whole new level. He'll make Colt McCoy look like the new Joe Montana.

MattyFos 01-06-2011 03:21 PM

@mdmgrand
Holmgren has said that he will take a mid-round QB in every draft. I'm assuming he's just trying to find a gem like Brady.. Cam would be too high of a pick for Holmgren to "take and test" but like I've said before "In Holmgren we trust". Plus when Brown Leader wrote that he was throwing poo against the wall and seeing if it'd stick. I doubt it sticks, but who knows.

@Morton
I don't understand why you have such bad REP. I love your comment. I, too, like Mornhinweg. I think he has a great offensive mind and I think since his firing from Detroit (8 years) he has had a lot of time to learn and grow. A lot of that time (maybe all of it) has been under Andy Reid and it seems like Mornhinweg calls a good game.
With stability at the top of the Browns organization; Mornhinweg can take this team to the next level. Heckert the former GM of the Eagles, who drafted Jackson, McCoy, Kolb, and Maclin, also resurrected McVick. Then Mornhinweg has essentially made McVick a pocket passer who can run when things get tight rather than looking to run first.

Heckert + Holmgren + Mornhinweg= good times in Cleveland.

P.S. Morton. I wish I could add some REP for you, but my rep counts for NUZZING!

MattyFos 01-06-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyFos (Post 2464602)
Heckert + Holmgren + Mornhinweg= good times in Cleveland.

EDIT

Heckert + Holmgren + Mornhinweg - Mangini - Daboll = good times in Cleveland

keylime_5 01-06-2011 03:31 PM

One of these guys at #6 si vous plait:

AJ Green-WR
Nick Fairley-DT
Da'Quan Bowers-DE
Robert Quinn-DE
Patrick Peterson-CB
Marcell Dareus-DT
Prince Amukamara-CB
Julio Jones-WR

I have a sneaking suspicion that whoever our new head coach is will implement the 4-3 base defense...which means we'll need 2 new starting DEs and 2 new starting linebackers immediately. Not a huge deal considering we needed front 7 help in any scenario, but it effects our draft needs a lot. Bowers and Fairley are likely higher priorities if we run a 4-3 compared to guys like Quinn and Dareus if we stay in a 3-4.

Brown Leader 01-07-2011 09:58 AM

I thought Holmgren said he'd like to take a QB in every draft? Emphasis on the a. If things could have worked out he would have drafted Bradford so I don't think his record of avoiding 1st round QBs applies.

The philosophy of, if you don't have a franchise one, applies here and Scott has posted about the success rate of 1st round QBs as opposed to later ones-I think we should be prepared for a QB in the first round.

NGSeiler 01-07-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyFos (Post 2462428)
Scheduled interviews;

Perry Fewell DC, Giants
Pat Shumur OC, Rams
Mike Mularkey OC, Falcons
Marty Mornhinweg OC, Eagles

Curious how Browns fans feel about this one.

MattyFos 01-07-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGSeiler (Post 2466231)
Curious how Browns fans feel about this one.

I don't know much about him or the Rams offense for that matter. Fow what it's worth. It seems like he had less, if it's possible, talent at wide receiver than the Browns. A better running back than the Browns. A better Qb (considering we had 3 different QB's starting this year) and a not-so-good offensive line (Come on, no matter who you have on the line you're not better than Thomas, Mack and Steinbach)

So I would say that the two offenses are similar in personnel and Shumur's O outyarded the Browns by 13 yards per game and by a little over a point per game. So I don't know how much of an upgrade that would be. BUT, the HC's main job is delegating power and if Shumur can bring in a good QB coach/OC/DC (if needed) then it all comes down to the type of philosophy he has.

What kind of game did he call? Daboll (Browns soon to be ex-OC) called..
Run
Run
Run
Punt

Run
Run
Trick play
Punt

Run
Pass
Run
Trick play punt

NGSeiler 01-07-2011 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MattyFos (Post 2466431)
What kind of game did he call?

It was rather simplistic and conservative for most of the year. His strong supporters argue that's what it had to be with a rookie QB and limited talent at receiver. His critics said there could have been more creativity and diversity in his run and pass calls. Bradford rarely threw the ball down field, the staff seemed to prefer quick drops and short routes to minimize mistake and help keep him upright. That worked at times, not so much in other games.

MattyFos 01-07-2011 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGSeiler (Post 2466440)
It was rather simplistic and conservative for most of the year. His strong supporters argue that's what it had to be with a rookie QB and limited talent at receiver. His critics said there could have been more creativity and diversity in his run and pass calls. Bradford rarely threw the ball down field, the staff seemed to prefer quick drops and short routes to minimize mistake and help keep him upright. That worked at times, not so much in other games.

Wow that is eerily similar to the Mangini/Daboll offense. But of course you work with what you have. The Rams and Browns could probably randomly select a new WR corp out of the phone book. Does Bradford have a strong arm? I think the Browns played so conservatively because IMO McCoy hasn't shown me that be can throw it 25+ yards consistently and accurately.

j05son 01-14-2011 01:02 PM

What I really like about this draft is that the best player available when we pick will most likely be at a position of need for us...

Draft is really heavy on DL, some really nice WR talent in Green, Jones and Baldwin (Blackmon went back to school) and some really talented corners in Peterson and Prince. So no matter how the first 5 picks turn out, we're set for a stud at a position of need.

diabsoule 01-16-2011 10:29 PM

Would you guys rather have Marcel Dareus or Julio Jones?

STsACE 01-16-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 2482506)

Dareus..........

Doesn't matter if we switch schemes, front 7 needs upgraded minus Rubin.

fear the elf 01-17-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 2482506)

Julio. The front 7 needs help, but IMO, a great WR will help Colt develop, and that's by far the most important thing for this team right now.