Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Detroit Lions Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=34)
-   -   Official Free Agency Discussion (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=44999)

Xiomera 01-09-2011 02:57 PM

Official Free Agency Discussion

The counterpart to the Draft discussion thread. Let's try and separate the two.

Can one of the Mods sticky this please?

Xiomera 01-09-2011 02:58 PM

I'll begin by throwing this out there:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6004943

Nnamdi Asomugha is a free agent now. Do we break the bank for him?

Newbs24 01-09-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiomera (Post 2469879)

For a guy that can shut down half the field? I say yes. Draft a DE and MLB and LT and we should be a very solid team.

wingboy2999 01-09-2011 10:37 PM

I knew someone was going to bring him up. I'm down for it... but I don't see it happening. It'd be great.... but yeah.

Xiomera 01-09-2011 10:55 PM

Which OLB do you guys like?

Chad Greenway is a pipe dream, I suppose.

Scotty D 01-10-2011 06:00 AM

http://ten.247sports.com/Article/Ste...ennessee-10071

MLB Stephen Tulloch looks like he is going to hit the market.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ning-breaston/

Cardinals haven't shown interest in re-signing WR Steve Breaston

SINCE1978 01-10-2011 09:44 AM

I say no to Nnamdi Asomugha. Just a gut feeling ...

CB Scenario: retain Houston / A. Smith (Jimmy Smith pick #45, Chykie Brown pick #77)

LB I like (a healthy) Paul Posluszny (who should of been ours with the Stanton debacle pick, but I'm not bitter @ MM or anything) :o)

LB Scenario: (All Big 10 starters) Carpertner / Posluszny / Levy (Von Miller pick #13, Casey Matthews pick #109)

Buffalo will probably lock up PP but it's a cool thought.

tblain1 01-10-2011 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiomera (Post 2469879)

Not only yes but hell yes.

Xiomera 01-10-2011 04:34 PM

Tom Kowalski says the Lions will go for Nnamdi:

http://twitter.com/TomKowalski36/sta...26141326888960

Scotty D 01-10-2011 05:05 PM

Revis's contract was 4 years 32 million guaranteed, 46 million overall.

Prowler 01-10-2011 06:36 PM

we probably 'saved' that much money by winning the final 4 games and not having to draft that high again.

SINCE1978 01-10-2011 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prowler (Post 2472304)
we probably 'saved' that much money by winning the final 4 games and not having to draft that high again.

cutting Peterson's 8M helped too!

Prowler 01-10-2011 07:47 PM

the killer is doing a great job right now. he's building a bridge out of nothing that links us with nnamdi. nnamdi is probably sitting at home, reading espn insider and now he can think about the lions dline. all because of killer.

WMD 01-10-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiomera (Post 2472158)
Tom Kowalski says the Lions will go for Nnamdi:

http://twitter.com/TomKowalski36/sta...26141326888960

Er.. I'm sure about 100% of NFL teams will go after Nnamdi. Tom Kowalski still sucks.

cotts1 01-11-2011 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SINCE1978 (Post 2471709)
I say no to Nnamdi Asomugha. Just a gut feeling ...

CB Scenario: retain Houston / A. Smith (Jimmy Smith pick #45, Chykie Brown pick #77)

LB I like (a healthy) Paul Posluszny (who should of been ours with the Stanton debacle pick, but I'm not bitter @ MM or anything) :o)

LB Scenario: (All Big 10 starters) Carpertner / Posluszny / Levy (Von Miller pick #13, Casey Matthews pick #109)

Buffalo will probably lock up PP but it's a cool thought.

Not sure how you could say no to going after 1 of the 2 true shutdown corners in the NFL. He is such a valuable commodity to a defense. The Raiders are insane for voiding this guys contract. And there is no guarantee Houston resigns with us.

<0% chance of happening but imagine if the Lions somehow landed Nnamdi. Traded up and drafted Patrick Peterson. Sign Tulloch, draft a mid round LB like Casey Matthews.... Ok, dream is over now.

SINCE1978 01-11-2011 07:50 AM

He made 16M last year (roughly) & will fetch more than that on the open market as the #1 CB prospect ... happy hunting with Ford's $$ ...
He is a terrific talent, no question. I just still do not picture Detroit as the #1 off season option for a guy who could go anywhere. Still not picturing that :o)

I say draft the next potential Asomugha ... Did you see KC's secondary on Sunday? Filled with rookies & 2nd, 3rd year guys making plays. Strive for that .. .draft 2 CB's or a CB & S combo in the first 3 rounds that fits what Schwartz/Gun want. It's cheaper & you can mold them to your team. (ie Spievey) MM is proving he can hit on most of his draft picks, plus he was an NFL DB so he seems pretty dialed in at what he wants I believe.

tblain1 01-11-2011 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SINCE1978 (Post 2473607)
He made 16M last year (roughly) & will fetch more than that on the open market as the #1 CB prospect ... happy hunting with Ford's $$ ...
He is a terrific talent, no question. I just still do not picture Detroit as the #1 off season option for a guy who could go anywhere. Still not picturing that :o)

I say draft the next potential Asomugha ... Did you see KC's secondary on Sunday? Filled with rookies & 2nd, 3rd year guys making plays. Strive for that .. .draft 2 CB's or a CB & S combo in the first 3 rounds that fits what Schwartz/Gun want. It's cheaper & you can mold them to your team. (ie Spievey) MM is proving he can hit on most of his draft picks, plus he was an NFL DB so he seems pretty dialed in at what he wants I believe.

Just that simple? There aren't that many shutdown corners in the league to begin with and the two people like in the upcoming draft are probably out of reach.

I dunno... I see a guy out there who with our line can make a huge difference. If we make a play for him now and grab him that's a secondary upgrade of the highest magnitude. Its one less thing we "need" in the draft and then we can fall back to doing what successful teams do at the draft: take the best player available regardless of need.

detroit4life 01-11-2011 12:58 PM

one of the best CBs in the league now at the age of 29.... of course you go for him. adding him and a full draft this team can be looking extremely good. Would completely change this defense adding him to our dline

noondog 01-11-2011 01:19 PM

Whether or not we should go after Nnamdi should not even be in question. As has been discussed, the only question is whether or not we can lure him to Detroit. His effect would be massive, period.

SINCE1978 01-11-2011 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tblain1 (Post 2473864)
Just that simple? There aren't that many shutdown corners in the league to begin with and the two people like in the upcoming draft are probably out of reach.

I dunno... I see a guy out there who with our line can make a huge difference. If we make a play for him now and grab him that's a secondary upgrade of the highest magnitude. Its one less thing we "need" in the draft and then we can fall back to doing what successful teams do at the draft: take the best player available regardless of need.

You make it sound like it's the Lions choice. Similar to the dillusional Michigan slappy who believed Harbaugh & then Miles were Michigan's choices & were looked over for another option. Like the AD & President opted to not bring them to Schembechler Hall or something ... Wrong! It's the other way around!
This guy plays in the Bay area for 16M/year! What in his right mind would bring him to Detroit to play for the Lions? Think logically ... I'm with noondog, this guy can name his ticket ... I was being realistic in the game plan with the draft scenarios etc ... never questioning his talent/ability. No doubt he shuts down 1/2 the field in passing (at a hefty price tag) but he IS NOT picking Ford Field as his home.

tblain1 01-11-2011 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SINCE1978 (Post 2474194)
You make it sound like it's the Lions choice. Similar to the dillusional Michigan slappy who believed Harbough & then Miles were Michigan's choices & were looked over for another option. Like the AD & President opted to not bring them to Schembechler Hall or something ... Wrong! It's the other way around!
This guy plays in the Bay are for 16M/year! What in his right mind would bring him to Detroit to play for the Lions? Think logically ... I'm with noondog, this guy can name his ticket ... I was being realistic in the game plan with the draft scenarios etc ... never questioning his talent/ability. No doubt he shuts down 1/2 the field in passing (at a hefty price tag) but he IS NOT picking Ford Field as his home.

The question was whether Detroit should go after him. We'll leave it up to Nmandi whether he wants to make Detroit his home.

Sorry I mis-read your original post. I think I got the gist of your plan now: Don't expect him to land here, have a solid plan B. Make sense, I just hope our scouts can identify the right CBs. I wasn't overly impressed with Spivey during the few games I saw of him. Corner seems to be a hard position to scout projecting from NCAA to NFL.

Prowler 01-11-2011 04:46 PM

i still don't understand this whole no collective bargaining agreement restrictions fully. are we only able to trade draft choices from here on out? no player swaps on draft day like usual? that will be boring and force GMs to actually scout and make good decisions.

dannyz 01-11-2011 04:56 PM

Nnamdi wants to go to a good team. If he went to the Lions he would make them a good team with that D-Line and then the Lions would be able to Draft a guy Like Robert Quinn and make the D even better.

DrunkenLament 01-12-2011 02:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dannyz (Post 2474310)
Nnamdi wants to go to a good team. If he went to the Lions he would make them a good team with that D-Line and then the Lions would be able to Draft a guy Like Robert Quinn and make the D even better.

Why go to an ok team that he could make good, when he can go to a good team and make them great? I think it may come down to how much money we'd be willing to offer him but I feel its very unlikely he'll come here (though I always thought Nnamdi looked good in the Honolulu blue in Madden).

4thandGoal 01-12-2011 09:47 AM

draft quinn at 13?

Not likely.

We should pursue Nmamdi.

we could be the team with crazy names that no one can pronounce.