Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   So Auburn are the National Champs.... for now. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45050)

FordFairlane 01-11-2011 10:56 AM

So Auburn are the National Champs.... for now.

Did anyone actually bother watching this farce of a national championship game? I could careless since in a few years Auburn will be stripped of this title and season and Newton will be stripped of his Heisman. I have became disgusted with college football this season. The Heisman is a joke and means about the same as a urinal cake anymore. The Schools that cheat out number the schools that play fair and when the lame NCAA finally catches one of them they push it under the table. The NCAA Finally caught someone in the act or red handed so to say. And instead of nipping this in the bud and making Auburn Forfeit this season before all the games were played they swept that investigation under the rug. But I am sure a few years from now they'll drag it out and punish Auburn. Of course after Auburn and the NCAA make millions. And they suspend players from Ohio St. NEXT season. Hmmm, do you think any of them don't declare for the NFL? What a slap on the wrist. It just sucks for those of us who watch and cheer for teams that do it the right way. I mean at this point they might as well make it a bidding war on all players, don't make them go to school, and let them take steroids.

JoeJoeBrown 01-11-2011 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordFairlane (Post 2473752)
Did anyone actually bother watching this farce of a national championship game? I could careless since in a few years Auburn will be stripped of this title and season and Newton will be stripped of his Heisman. I have became disgusted with college football this season. The Heisman is a joke and means about the same as a urinal cake anymore. The Schools that cheat out number the schools that play fair and when the lame NCAA finally catches one of them they push it under the table. The NCAA Finally caught someone in the act or red handed so to say. And instead of nipping this in the bud and making Auburn Forfeit this season before all the games were played they swept that investigation under the rug. But I am sure a few years from now they'll drag it out and punish Auburn. Of course after Auburn and the NCAA make millions. And they suspend players from Ohio St. NEXT season. Hmmm, do you think any of them don't declare for the NFL? What a slap on the wrist. It just sucks for those of us who watch and cheer for teams that do it the right way. I mean at this point they might as well make it a bidding war on all players, don't make them go to school, and let them take steroids.

1) Take a deep breath.
2) Lay off the caffeine.
3) Paragraphs exist for a reason.
4) The idea of a perfectly clean team is a myth. There are just varying levels of dirtiness.
5) Yes, the NCAA has pretty much declared that they are all about the money.
6) I'm willing to bet that Pryor still has some more BS surface. A prima donna that held out his decision like that has a high likelihood for underhanded dealings.
7) I love boobies.

BigJohn98 01-11-2011 11:34 AM

No. No one watched this game at all.

Trogdor 01-11-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

"I don't want nobody to feel sorry for me, because throughout this year didn't nobody feel sorry for Auburn," Newton said, setting a BCS record for double negatives in a single sentence.
Don't feel bad for Auburn football. Feel bad for everyone with a degree from Auburn. Guess the next question will be does he have what it takes to beat Vince Young in the wonderlic...

Saints-Tigers 01-11-2011 06:02 PM

You mad???

Bengals78 01-11-2011 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown (Post 2473800)
1) Take a deep breath.
2) Lay off the caffeine.
3) Paragraphs exist for a reason.
4) The idea of a perfectly clean team is a myth. There are just varying levels of dirtiness.
5) Yes, the NCAA has pretty much declared that they are all about the money.
6) I'm willing to bet that Pryor still has some more BS surface. A prima donna that held out his decision like that has a high likelihood for underhanded dealings.
7) I love boobies.

Pics or GTFO

metafour 01-11-2011 06:07 PM

Quote:

JoeJoeBrown 01-11-2011 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengals78 (Post 2474423)
Pics or GTFO

Ask and Ye Shall Receive... :)

RealityCheck 01-11-2011 06:16 PM

Auburn gets stripped of the title, TCU gets it, a new era is born, Cam Newton still sucks

Bengals78 01-11-2011 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JoeJoeBrown (Post 2474433)

Bewbs!!!!!!

Bengals78 01-11-2011 06:20 PM

And can one of our grammar czars help me out:
Shouldn't it be Auburn IS the National Champion?
They are a collective team and referred as one correct? No?

TitanHope 01-11-2011 11:12 PM

I would usually say, "The Auburn Tigers are the National Champions," and "Auburn is the National Champion." Both of these are grammatically correct.

It depends if you're referring to the group as a whole or referring to them as individuals within the group. Therefore, "champion" or "champions" would decide which is the case. "Champion" means you're referring to them as a whole, so the verb should be singular. "Champions" means you're referring to them as individuals within the group, so the verb should be plural.

Grammatically, the agreement in the title is fine. If he said "champ" instead, then it would be incorrect.

It's tricky since it's a proper noun and not a pronoun. It's messy with showing possession too.

Brent 01-11-2011 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bengals78 (Post 2474454)
And can one of our grammar czars help me out:
Shouldn't it be Auburn IS the National Champion?
They are a collective team and referred as one correct? No?

Auburn is
the Tigers are

Bengals78 01-12-2011 12:42 AM

Thanks. No English class in a few years has left me rusty when I used to be an ace at it

Smooth Criminal 01-12-2011 08:01 AM

This post is ridiculous. First, everyone knows he got paid. Either he'll get stripped in a year or so, or they'll just let it go as to not tarnish the sport anymore. I think it's safe to assume every school has these kinds of issues, probably not as bad as Newton, but violations at least, we just hear about the ones that get caught.

2nd, they punished OSU for next season which is ********. But it looks like all 5 will be coming back next year, so that point you're trying to make sucks. Missing half of their senior year is hardly a slap on the wrist for these 5.

and Reality Check, they won't just award TCU the national championship if they take it from Auburn.

Shane P. Hallam 01-12-2011 09:25 AM

They won't ever strip it, because the NCAA ruled him eligible. After Auburn asked the NCAA to look into it, they ruled him eligible. That will count for something, even if more info is found later.

jtice2003 01-12-2011 02:53 PM

It is however funny how he WAS declared ineligible at some point, even in the briefest of time frames, there was still that doubt. I don't believe they will ever be stripped either but, in this day in age with all these black marks, anything will be scrutinized.

Halsey 01-12-2011 03:10 PM

The thread author:

MizzouBig12 01-12-2011 03:26 PM

Quote:

Blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

I, personally, don't like Auburn. I don't like the SEC. BUT in the manner in which these things are determined by the BCS, they ARE (and will be) the 2010-2011 National Champions. Deal with it.

LizardState 01-13-2011 04:21 PM

Kind of anticlimactic end of the game, last second FG. Yawwwwn.

It looked like a defensive struggle strangely enough at the start, mistakes in coverage led to the early scores. Neither team was dominant or looked like a champion, both teams made major mistakes, dropped passes, turnovers, penalties, etc. Not crisply coached teams by any stretch.

If there was a difference in the game it was the Auburn front 4, Oregon has not excuse for failure to block them. Auburns previous 2 opponents talked about them to ESPN at length in the wks. before, the Ducks had plenty of time to prepare. The Oregon 3rd & goal where the QB failed to handoff was the single most costly play IMO, got 3 points instead of a sure TD, Fairley came in unblocked.

Halsey 01-13-2011 08:21 PM

You're not going to get a mistake free game when the teams have like 5 months of off time before the game.

jrdrylie 01-13-2011 08:32 PM

The thing that pisses me off most (even more than the fact that Scam Newton was allowed to play.) is the terrible call on the reviewed play of what would have been Newton's second interception. The Oregon player had a foot down right when he caught it. Even if he hadn't, he also put his hand down. But instant replay in the NCAA is terrible, so they got the pick wrong and Auburn scores a TD soon after. Completely different outcome if Auburn doesn't get that TD.

critesy 01-13-2011 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrdrylie (Post 2477156)
The thing that pisses me off most (even more than the fact that Scam Newton was allowed to play.) is the terrible call on the reviewed play of what would have been Newton's second interception. The Oregon player had a foot down right when he caught it. Even if he hadn't, he also put his hand down. But instant replay in the NCAA is terrible, so they got the pick wrong and Auburn scores a TD soon after. Completely different outcome if Auburn doesn't get that TD.

call on the field was incomplete and the foot down was too close to determine and overturn and a hand does not count. (and he bobbled it outta bounds)

JPP90 01-14-2011 02:38 AM

All its going to take is someone wanting to make a name for themselves deciding to reveal how much Auburn paid for Newton's services and that will be the end of Auburn's title and Newton's Heisman. I wonder if they confiscate the rings too. Of course by that time Newton wil have already sold his to Terrelle Pryor.

JPP90 01-14-2011 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Trogdor (Post 2473814)
Don't feel bad for Auburn football. Feel bad for everyone with a degree from Auburn. Guess the next question will be does he have what it takes to beat Vince Young in the wonderlic...

He's gonna be a darling in the interviews at the Combine. Hopefully they don't ask him to tie his shoes or write a complete sentence...stick to running and flicking that football around.