Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Washington Redskins Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   A look at 2012 QBs (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45091)

DiG 01-12-2011 01:44 PM

A look at 2012 QBs

For comparison sake lets take a quick look at next years potential draft eligible quarterbacks. I'm not trying to say we shouldnt take a QB this year but just pointing out that the idea of building the line and adding offensive playmakers now isn't a bad idea either.

1. Andrew Luck, Stanford - Not a lot to say about this guy that hasn't already been said. Has all the tools, big arm, accuracy, leadership, mobility, athleticism, decision making. The list goes on. (Top 5 pick - Would rank considerably higher than Newton/Mallet/Locker/Gabbert in this years draft)

2. Matt Barkley, USC - Believe it or not Barkley could challenge Luck for the first overall pick if he continues to develop. He dropped weight this past year and definitely improved his mobility in the pocket. I wouldnt call his mobility a strength but it isnt necessarily a weakness either and from what Ive seen there is enough ability throwing on the move to fit in Shanahans offense. Barkley also improved this year on his accuracy this year but did start the year a lot better than he finished it. TD-INT ratio was 20-4 in his first seven games, 6-8 in his final five. So clearly there’s more work to be done.The skillset is there to be an elite quarterback based on his development. (Top 10-15 pick - Would rank above than Newton/Mallet/Locker/Gabbert in this years draft)

3. Landry Jones, Oklahoma - 2010 was a very impressive year for Landry Jones. By the time the 2012 draft comes along he will have 3 years of starting experience and should be right alongside Luck and Barkley in top QB discussions. He doesnt get as much credit yet as those other two guys but another year like 2010 and that will change. He improved his sophomore year from 58% completion to 65% and down the stretch his game. He has a great quick release, prototypical size, and a big arm but is still maturing as a quarterback and mobility isnt exactly his strong point. (1st RD pick - Would rank similar to Newton/Mallet/Locker/Gabbert)

4. Kirk Cousins, Michigan State - Cousins took huge steps in the minds of NFL scouts in 2010. Cousins is a big armed, tough SOB with very good athleticism. Not a runner but moves well in the pocket. If he had entered this years draft he probably would be looking at a 3rd-4th round grade but with another year of football I think he has the ability to be a 2nd round pick next year.

Others of note - Robert Griffin III, Ryan Lindley and Nick Foles

2 Live Crew 01-17-2011 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty (Post 2475434)
I'm not trying to say we shouldnt take a QB this year but just pointing out that the idea of building the line and adding offensive playmakers now isn't a bad idea either.

Yep, I agree and I have been thinking about this more and more lately.

Any of this year's QB's likely to be taken with the number 10 pick seem to have too much boom/bust potential for me.

Of course, your average fan will not want to suck next year and also be without a young/franchise qb that they can pin their hopes on...

But I'm now leaning towards the thinking of just building your lines/taking best player available in this draft and probably just sucking next year and getting a nice pick.

Also, maybe take a flier on a QB in the late rounds, I think there is some interesting depth at the QB position. If you can get a nice experienced college QB late than I say go for it. I particularly like Dalton and McElroy as late round fliers.

That way when you are out of the playoff race around week 10-12 or whatever you can just throw them in for Grossman and see if you struck gold or not. Now, the most likely answer is that you won't and that's fine because you can just get a better draft pick for one of the guys you mentioned here.

If your late round flier QB turns out to be decent you can still draft a better QB with your top pick and trade him for something, or keep him for the time being and deal with it later.

JRTPlaya21 01-17-2011 12:16 PM

I also am in that camp of build up other positions this year, hope teams in front of us land their guy and see if it's possible that a guy like Luck or Barkley would be available to trade up for.

treyskins 01-17-2011 03:29 PM

The problem is mike shanahan.

After the mcnabb mistake he looks really keen on taking a franchise quarterback, this year.
He has a top ten pick now,if he improves the team in free agency,with his coaching(bear in mind we beat the packers/bears/iggles in slugfests) he will reckon the skins wont be picking top ten next year.

I hope i'm wrong, but i'm expecting shanny to go QB.
Early.

DiG 05-02-2011 01:49 PM

boooya! should also add robert griffin III to this list.

Orakpowned 05-02-2011 02:42 PM

Check out Tyler Wilson from Arkansas also. I'm extremely high on him, and I can't wait to see him play more this year.

Dro 10-28-2011 10:42 PM

RG3 has to be the leading candidate to be ours since luck is outside of our reach.. RG3 is made for this system.

DiG 10-30-2011 09:31 PM

i do like what i see from rg3 so far this year. i have him and barkley really close right now at 2/3 behind luck. i think its a decent drop off after that though.

2 Live Crew 10-31-2011 09:37 AM

I agree, trade whatever is needed to get RG3 please. I'd take Barkley too though.

Canadian_draft_fan 10-31-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dirty Thirty (Post 2731173)
i do like what i see from rg3 so far this year. i have him and barkley really close right now at 2/3 behind luck. i think its a decent drop off after that though.

I wouldn't put Tannehill too far behind RG & Barkley.

JBCX 11-04-2011 07:00 AM

Or Shanahan could decide that he wants to give Beck a full offseason of work with the starters, and goes into 2012 with Beck as his #1 QB and drafts someone like Alshon Jeffery or Trent Richardson with his first round pick.

Canadian_draft_fan 11-04-2011 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JBCX (Post 2735530)
Or Shanahan could decide that he wants to give Beck a full offseason of work with the starters, and goes into 2012 with Beck as his #1 QB and drafts someone like Alshon Jeffery or Trent Richardson with his first round pick.

God I hope not. Beck would have to show a hell of a lot more than he is now for me not to think that QB is our #1 priority (by far). Beck is a mediocre back up at best, based on what game action I've seen him in.