Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Dallas Cowboys Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Let's talk about Doug Free (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45428)

D-Unit 01-27-2011 01:17 PM

Let's talk about Doug Free
 
Free, Free... Free.

Let me just say that I don't expect a lot of people to agree with me when I say what I'm about to say... but that's what I have always loved doing anyways... Out of the box thinking.

In the past I have lightly touched upon the topic of Free going back to Right Tackle. Then after the season, I mentioned that I think he's the final solution for us at Left Tackle and that his early season struggles were just a part of his transition to the left and getting comfortable there. So you could say, I've been waffling on my stance. RT? LT? which?

Well I read something interesting that made me think that Free is best suited to be our future RT, and now... I think... I'm convinced.

In run blocking Free was statistically, the TOP #1 run blocker in the league. In pass blocking he was 15th allowing our QB to get knocked to the ground 12 times this past season.

Free may be a new starter to our OL, but he's no young buck. He's already 28 years old. He's not gonna give us a decade worth's of work at the position, like you would say about a Top OL draft pick coming into the league at 22 or 23 years old.

RT is typically not a position you want to draft high. Especially at the 9th pick. However, LT would be... and it would be a smart choice assuming you don't draft a bust.

These things considered, I just wouldn't put it out of the realm of reason to move Free back to RT. I think his dominance in the run game would be well utilized. I think his pass protection deficiencies would be subdued, with the QB facing his direction instead of having him on the blind side. I think we would get the most out of him at RT AND that it would benefit our team the most.

However, we can't do that without a proper replacement for him at LT. It seems to me that most people are in agreement that we need a replacement for Columbo at RT immediately. But where most get confused is where that replacement will come from. I think it should be Free. I think others are thinking the draft.. and a very few might be looking at FA... even less than that looking at trade.

If we think out of the box for a moment and look at the big picture of things... the long term future of the team... and combine Free's strength's, weaknesses and age, then the smart decision is to move him to the right and look aggressively for a LT solution.

Your thoughts?

xxxxxxxx 01-27-2011 01:27 PM

I don't understand why you you want to do all of this positional switching/fixing things that aren't broken.

Free is our LT of the future and is fine there. There are no dominant LT's in this draft so an upgrade over him isn't really an option over him anyway.

I'd Love Carimi or Costanzo at RT any day of the week. I wouldn't them on the left and free on the right.

But Free is fine at left tackle and I'd leave him there if I could. Also, Jerry said they intend to leave him there.

leroyisgod 01-27-2011 02:19 PM

I think it's a disservice to Free if we only judge his performance based off of one year starting at LT. While I'm a man of the numbers, I still feel you have to give him one more year. With saying that, I'm not opposed to drafting a potential LT in the early rounds of this years draft. You cannot have too many good OL on your roster.

D-Unit 01-27-2011 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CDCB14 (Post 2497695)
I don't understand why you you want to do all of this positional switching/fixing things that aren't broken.

Free is our LT of the future and is fine there. There are no dominant LT's in this draft so an upgrade over him isn't really an option over him anyway.

I'd Love Carimi or Costanzo at RT any day of the week. I wouldn't them on the left and free on the right.

But Free is fine at left tackle and I'd leave him there if I could. Also, Jerry said they intend to leave him there.

I'm saying this now, because I think in the future we will continue to see Free struggle in the same area and people will THEN bring up the topic of moving Free to the right where he was the most successful in '09.

I'm just beating everyone to the punch, like doooooo. ;)


D-Unit 01-27-2011 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leroyisgod (Post 2497768)
I think it's a disservice to Free if we only judge his performance based off of one year starting at LT. While I'm a man of the numbers, I still feel you have to give him one more year. With saying that, I'm not opposed to drafting a potential LT in the early rounds of this years draft. You cannot have too many good OL on your roster.

Yeah, that's looking at it from OUR (fans) point of view. However, I think the staff should be more knowledgeable about him based on practices and him being here SINCE 2007!

Babylon 01-27-2011 03:37 PM

As for your point about the QB getting tackled x-amount of times i've always thought that lousy QBs get sacked more than good QBs.

D-Unit 01-27-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 2497883)
As for your point about the QB getting tackled x-amount of times i've always thought that lousy QBs get sacked more than good QBs.

Well, then you would be mistaken, because that's not totally true. It's only part of the equation. Many good QBs get hammered and not because they are lousy.

Jay Cutler got hit the most this past year (56 sacks/92 hits) and I think it would be incorrect to call him lousy or immobile. That's just one example. I could go on about other QBs who get hit a lot, like Big Ben, Rodgers, McNabb, Flacco, Favre, etc.

Toby Flenderson 01-27-2011 07:53 PM

I don't see any reason on earth to move Free from his LT spot (where he is more physically suited than at RT) The only reason I could possibly understand moving him is if we make a serious run at Jared Gaither. And given his injury history, I'm not sure that would be a great idea either.

It is certainly outside the box thinking, I'll give you that much.

D-Unit 01-27-2011 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Flenderson (Post 2498455)
I don't see any reason on earth to move Free from his LT spot (where he is more physically suited than at RT) The only reason I could possibly understand moving him is if we make a serious run at Jared Gaither. And given his injury history, I'm not sure that would be a great idea either.

It is certainly outside the box thinking, I'll give you that much.

I admit, it's unconventional. Sometimes I type... just food for thought. Things that are on my mind. Forums provide the best outlet for that kind of thinking.

Sooo... who are you? I've seen your posts... and well... they are weird.

MetSox17 01-27-2011 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 2497904)
Well, then you would be mistaken, because that's not totally true. It's only part of the equation. Many good QBs get hammered and not because they are lousy.

Jay Cutler got hit the most this past year (56 sacks/92 hits) and I think it would be incorrect to call him lousy or immobile. That's just one example. I could go on about other QBs who get hit a lot, like Big Ben, Rodgers, McNabb, Flacco, Favre, etc.

I don't think "lousy" qbs get hit more often, but look at the QBs you listed. They have shoddy offensive lines (save for Flacco) and they're known for holding on to the ball way too long. Ben and Rodgers are notorious for holding the ball longer than they should, same for Favre. Romo is one of the best in the league at getting rid of the ball, so i think he will make the offensive line look better. I think Free should stay at LT, i want OL picks in the middle rounds and some band-aids through FA.

Toby Flenderson 01-27-2011 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 2498463)
I admit, it's unconventional. Sometimes I type... just food for thought. Things that are on my mind. Forums provide the best outlet for that kind of thinking.

Sooo... who are you? I've seen your posts... and well... they are weird.

Eh, no need to defend your opinions, I tend to do much of the same, but I don't post them. I'm pretty much no one, but love me some football. Lurked about these boards for some time. Since Keak Da Sneak was all over MJD out of UCLA. He was definitely right on that one.

My posts ARE weird, but I guess I'm a little weird myself.

TheFinisher 01-27-2011 08:42 PM

Well welcome aboard, Toby Flenderson.

D-Unit 01-27-2011 08:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Flenderson (Post 2498531)
Eh, no need to defend your opinions, I tend to do much of the same, but I don't post them. I'm pretty much no one, but love me some football. Lurked about these boards for some time. Since Keak Da Sneak was all over MJD out of UCLA. He was definitely right on that one.

My posts ARE weird, but I guess I'm a little weird myself.

Nah, I meant I didn't get the feeling that you were a new poster based on your posts. I was thinking you were a previous poster. What is your old username?

Toby Flenderson 01-27-2011 08:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 2498533)
Nah, I meant I didn't get the feeling that you were a new poster based on your posts. I was thinking you were a previous poster. What is your old username?

Thank Finisher.

I USED to be JONH4443, but I didn't use that almost at all either. I think, total, I've posted maybe 15-20 times.

DMWSackMachine 01-28-2011 05:01 AM

Toby's with HR, so he's not really a part of our family here.


Also, he's divorced, so he's not really a part of his family, either.

D-Unit 01-28-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DMWSackMachine (Post 2499051)
Toby's with HR, so he's not really a part of our family here.


Also, he's divorced, so he's not really a part of his family, either.

Who is HR?

UTPATS 01-28-2011 01:03 PM

D-Unit, I like your trend of thought on this issue. Before the Senior Bowl I was thinking there was a possibility we could have gotten Gabe Carimi in the second round. I thought he would be able to fit in immediately on our right side if we chose to move on from Columbo. I think Carimi could play left tackle in this league, but have those guys as bookends would solidify our tackles for several years to come, even if its only 5-7 years, that better than its been!

UTPATS 01-28-2011 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by D-Unit (Post 2499173)
Who is HR?

Human Resources

Toby Flenderson 01-28-2011 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UTPATS (Post 2499334)
D-Unit, I like your trend of thought on this issue. Before the Senior Bowl I was thinking there was a possibility we could have gotten Gabe Carimi in the second round. I thought he would be able to fit in immediately on our right side if we chose to move on from Columbo. I think Carimi could play left tackle in this league, but have those guys as bookends would solidify our tackles for several years to come, even if its only 5-7 years, that better than its been!

I don't think there is much of a chance of Carimi being there at our second pick. He will probably go much higher than expected after a very nice showing at the Senior Bowl. I am very much torn between him and Cam Jordan.

UTPATS 01-29-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toby Flenderson (Post 2499492)
I don't think there is much of a chance of Carimi being there at our second pick. He will probably go much higher than expected after a very nice showing at the Senior Bowl. I am very much torn between him and Cam Jordan.

IMO Cam Jordan is worth our #9 overall pick, but I think we could possible trade back some and still take either guy. There is still quite a bit to look at before we can make that determination, but both of those guys are 15-25 pick guys, IMHO.

Carimi has definitely worked himself as a solid first round guy. I could see the Packers taking him with their pick, if he last that long. He's not elite, but he showed this week that he can play inside if needed, but he can also play either tackle spot. Would be a great swing guy for us if we HAVE to have Columbo for one more year.

Cam Jordan has dominated almost every guy he has gone up against. I think he would be an excellent 5-tech for us, probably move inside and create a nice duo of Ratliff and Jordan as our nickel tackles. With Bowen and Igor as the ends, Ware and Spencer blitzing...nasty nickel front!

I still think it won't matter what our defensive front does if we dont cover better than we did this past year. We need serious secondary help, mainly at safety!

LizardState 01-30-2011 03:55 PM

His LT experience last season was huge.

It takes 2-3 yrs. to develop even the most coachable of LTs in the same system, unless they're D'Brickashaw or Joe Thomas. Too great a risk & too little reward protecting Romo's blind side to put a developmental rookie there for OJT.

Better to address OG -- either or both -- in this draft as Leonard Davis is done. There were severe running game issues at OG last yr

UTPATS 02-17-2011 11:14 PM

What is the FA situation with Free? Is it the same as everyone else with the CBA issue?

Macarthur 02-18-2011 01:31 PM

Yes, he is, but there is no way in hell JJ lets him get away.

UTPATS 02-18-2011 03:41 PM

Somewhere between 3 and 5 year deal?

Macarthur 02-18-2011 04:44 PM

Yeah, probably 4 or 5.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.