Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Scheduling woes (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=45869)

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 02-17-2011 08:18 PM

Scheduling woes
 
Sept 10, Cal will face mighty Div 1AA opponent Presbyterian. Presbyterian has gone 6-28 the past three seasons, including a winless 2009 season. Last year they played two Div. 1-A schools, Wake Forest and Clemson and lost both games by a combined score of 111-34.

Why are teams aloud to do this still? There should be some penalty against playing 1AA teams.

SickwithIt1010 02-17-2011 08:47 PM

I was going to post about that if no one else did.

The fighting Blue hose is their mascot lol.

Brent 02-17-2011 09:07 PM

because they get a sweet payday for taking a beating by a D-1A team.

TitansCJftw 02-17-2011 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickwithIt1010 (Post 2524761)
I was going to post about that if no one else did.

The fighting Blue hose is their mascot lol.

one of the most awesomely bad team name's that ever heard lol

BigJohn98 02-17-2011 11:07 PM

One of my old high school teammates plays at Presbyterian.

diabsoule 02-18-2011 08:53 AM

I know that last year LSU scheduled SE LA Univ., an FCS school, to come to Tiger Stadium and get the **** kicked out of them. SE LA initially agreed and then backed out citing the health of their players. I agreed with that rationale because you have to assume that DI players at programs like LSU and Cal are just incredibly bigger, stronger and faster and could physically injure some of these smaller kids.

Don Vito 02-18-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by diabsoule (Post 2525080)
I know that last year LSU scheduled SE LA Univ., an FCS school, to come to Tiger Stadium and get the **** kicked out of them. SE LA initially agreed and then backed out citing the health of their players. I agreed with that rationale because you have to assume that DI players at programs like LSU and Cal are just incredibly bigger, stronger and faster and could physically injure some of these smaller kids.

Ole Miss played SE LA the year we were ranked #4, unfortunately we played SCAR the following week and lost. We beat SE LA 52-6, but I really can't say anything because we lost to Jacksonville St. this year.

BuddyCHRIST 02-18-2011 01:10 PM

I don't have a problem with one of these games a year, it provides money for the schools playing them, gives these smaller schools a chance to play in big stadiums. Plus its not like these teams haven't won before...

Multiple every season is a bit much though.

They did make a move that only one win against a FCS opponent counts toward bowl eligibility.

P-L 02-18-2011 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BuddyCHRIST (Post 2525313)
I don't have a problem with one of these games a year, it provides money for the schools playing them, gives these smaller schools a chance to play in big stadiums. Plus its not like these teams haven't won before...

Multiple every season is a bit much though.

They did make a move that only one win against a FCS opponent counts toward bowl eligibility.

I don't have a problem with teams scheduling FCS opponents, but they shouldn't count towards bowl eligibility AT ALL. Six wins is already absurdly low. If you schedule an FCS team almost every other year, then that means you only have to beat five FBS opponents to get into a bowl. Ridiculous.

MassNole 02-19-2011 09:31 AM

When it was an 11 game schedule, I agreed with you. But now with a 12 game schedule it has just become the norm. Really at the end of the day there isn't that big of a difference between playing a FCS team and a MAC or Sun Belt team.

LizardState 02-19-2011 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Sanders Dreadlock (Post 2524739)
Sept 10, Cal will face mighty Div 1AA opponent Presbyterian. Presbyterian has gone 6-28 the past three seasons, including a winless 2009 season. Last year they played two Div. 1-A schools, Wake Forest and Clemson and lost both games by a combined score of 111-34.

Why are teams aloud to do this still? There should be some penalty against playing 1AA teams.

Why? b/c Presby needs the freaking paycheck.

And Cal needs the cupcake win. Have a heart for Cal, no joy in Berkeley sports nowadays: Jeff Tedford is hanging on to his FB HC job by his fingernails, they have no practice field for FB, & they eliminated their baseball team last wk in budget cuts, this is the Golden Bears' last season on the diamonds. Here's the Down to the Last Out sad but true article:

http://www.mercurynews.com/ci_174181...nclick_check=1

P-L 02-19-2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MassNole (Post 2526004)
When it was an 11 game schedule, I agreed with you. But now with a 12 game schedule it has just become the norm. Really at the end of the day there isn't that big of a difference between playing a FCS team and a MAC or Sun Belt team.

I guess it depends on the team. Sure teams like UMass, App. State, Villanova, and Delaware are better than a lot of MAC and Sun Belt teams but there are still too many team scheduling the Cal Polys and Delaware State of the world.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.