Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   College Football (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   New Cam-Tennessee Rumor (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46040)

JoeJoeBrown 03-01-2011 03:03 PM

New Cam-Tennessee Rumor

Cecil asked UT for $200k with Cam in the room.

Take it with a grain of salt, but worth noting.

Quote:

The host of a Huntsville, Ala., sports talk radio show says he has heard audio tapes, allegedly in the possession of former Mississippi State players John Bond and Bill Bell, that implicate Cam Newton in his father, Cecil's, pay-for-play scheme that was investigated by the NCAA. Scott Moore, an Alabama fan and a college football speaker, said Friday during a radio interview with WNSP in Mobile, Ala., that he heard tapes of Cecil Newton selling his son's services while Cam was in the room. He states Tennessee offered Cecil Newton $200,000 for Cam Newton to play in Knoxville, and that Mississippi State was getting a discounted rate.

Chucky 03-01-2011 03:09 PM

An alabama talk show host, eh?

From an Alabama fan, eh?

Sounds super legit to me.

JoeJoeBrown 03-01-2011 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky (Post 2539284)
An alabama talk show host, eh?

From an Alabama fan, eh?

Sounds super legit to me.

I agree with the skepticism. If it were a Michigan radio guy talking about OSU, I'd call FOS as well.

But, I thought it was worthy of sharing.

critesy 03-01-2011 04:08 PM

yeah these reports have been shot down basically. if these tapes were existing why didnt they hand them in when the investigation was going on and such.

CashmoneyDrew 03-01-2011 06:04 PM

Kind of interesting rumor that we offered him 200k when
a) if he did play for pay it was apparently for 180k at AU, so why turn down 20k?
b) Kiffin never formally offered Cam a scholarship.

Anything's possible, but I'm extremely skeptical.

wonderbredd24 03-01-2011 06:45 PM

This could be total and utter crap... the problem for Newton is that this type of rumor is extremely believable.

Chucky 03-01-2011 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wonderbredd24 (Post 2539581)
This could be total and utter crap... the problem for Newton is that this type of rumor is extremely believable.

Not when you look at the source. Any nincompoop can make up allegations based on incidents in the past, but anyone should be able to see when based on the source that it is complete and utter ********.

JoeJoeBrown 03-01-2011 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chucky (Post 2539590)
Not when you look at the source. Any jackass can make up allegations based on incidents in the past, but anyone should be able to see when based on the source that it is complete and utter ********.

SportsByBrooks is currently on the case. Will have the scoop soon.

We'll see how much BS it is.

In other news, it looks like Oregon may be the target of an SI recruiting scandal piece tomorrow.

Purportedly about the recruitment of Lache Seastrunk, Tahj Boyd, and Anthony Wallace. Something to do with their "street agent", Baron Flenory Jr.

critesy 03-01-2011 07:42 PM

sports by brooks is the worst fyi

JoeJoeBrown 03-02-2011 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by critesy (Post 2539663)
sports by brooks is the worst fyi

Here is his report. It's pretty thorough. Basically, he says the Bama radio guy is FOS.

yodabear 03-02-2011 01:54 AM

Wow, Alabama-Auburn is gonna be really fun next year.

Saints-Tigers 03-02-2011 03:26 AM

I would ask for money if I were a super stud prospect, and teams were willing to pay.

TitanHope 03-04-2011 07:10 PM

Alleged "snippet" of the audio tape that's discussed here.

Could very well be fake, but I wanna perpetuate this stuff. SO IT'S DEFINITELY REAL!!!

LizardState 03-08-2011 08:03 PM

Quote:

Mississippi State was getting a discounted rate.
That p/o it made me lol.

Miss. St. Bulldogs, the SEC Bargain Basement Since the 1990s!! They will feel the wrath of the NCAA hammer coming down before the Auburn program does regarding the Newtons.

Kiffin may have been reckless & maybe crooked as a dog's hind leg at Tennessee but he's not stupid. Given Newton's time at Florida (booted after being caught cheating 3 times in class + receiving a stolen laptop), which was common knowledge in SEC circles, does anybody blame him for turning him down?

metafour 03-08-2011 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LizardState (Post 2547573)
Given Newton's time at Florida (booted after being caught cheating 3 times in class

Left on his; but good try Bammer.

Bob Sanders Dreadlock 03-08-2011 10:46 PM

I heard Cam Newton once peed on a bunny and he doesn't drink the milk in his cereal.