Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2014 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Brian Billick Likes Gabbert (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46926)

the natural 04-18-2011 10:05 PM

Brian Billick Likes Gabbert

It baffles me that the most respected analysts, (former NFL coaches and managers who are how allowed to express a genuine opinion), rate Gabbert as the top quarterback (most don't even see it as being close), but the prevailing sentiment is that Newton goes first overall. ????

MikeTheDudeV2 04-18-2011 10:07 PM

Hmm, must see some Kyle Boller in him....

49erNation85 04-18-2011 10:09 PM

Gabbert will still suck if he isn't on the right team to groom him.If he starts right away he will get hammered on just like Newton will.We don't need another Gabbert thread the natural.

niel89 04-18-2011 10:19 PM

we don't need a new thread for this.

bored of education 04-18-2011 10:22 PM

srlsy. zomgz Gabbert

GoRavens 04-18-2011 10:24 PM

I like barbeques and milk shakes.

Fred Savage 04-18-2011 10:27 PM

It's a no-brainer for Carolina. Draft Dareus or AJ Green and move on. Gabbert has Tim Couch written all over him.

the natural 04-18-2011 10:36 PM

Billick, (like Mayock and Casserly) shows absolutely no doubt when he makes his assessment. He does NOT like Newton at all.

WCH 04-18-2011 10:46 PM

Look at the QB's that Billick brought into Baltimore...

Get at me when Ron Wolf endorses one of these guys.

niel89 04-18-2011 11:02 PM

ZOMG GABBERT IS BOLLER 1.2v!

FUNBUNCHER 04-18-2011 11:05 PM

Billick and Casserly are the best endorsements you can find for Gabby??lol

IMO the more NFL insiders break down Gabbert's film, the less impressive he seems. He didn't play well last season and it's difficult to project what he accomplished last year into the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Gabbert didn't even make the All Big 12 team, 1st or 2nd string.

FUNBUNCHER 04-18-2011 11:06 PM

Billick and Casserly are the best endorsements you can find for Gabby??lol

IMO the more NFL insiders break down Gabbert's film, the less impressive he seems. He didn't play well last season and it's difficult to project what he accomplished last year into the #1 overall pick in the draft.

Gabbert didn't even make the 2010 All Big 12 team.

Halsey 04-18-2011 11:09 PM

Billick and Casserly, unlike the Draft geniuses on these boards, have been wrong at times in the past. You can't listen to anyone's opinion on the Draft unless they are perfect.

the natural 04-18-2011 11:11 PM

Billick and Casserly were making these choices in real time not so long ago. Trent Green was playing the position at a high level for 15 years or so. Can't discount their perceptions.

Babylon 04-18-2011 11:19 PM

Leaving Gabbert out of this i wonder how much these guys at NFLN actually watch these guys play. Casserly has been on record as saying he hasnt seen much of Gabbert. Billick of the classic line "nobody that looks like Cam Newton has ever won the Superbowl". Way to be politically correct Brian.

the natural 04-18-2011 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Babylon (Post 2576096)
Leaving Gabbert out of this i wonder how much these guys at NFLN actually watch these guys play. Casserly has been on record as saying he hasnt seen much of Gabbert. Billick of the classic line "nobody that looks like Cam Newton has ever won the Superbowl". Way to be politically correct Brian.

Casserly seems pretty knowledgable in his criticisms. He obviously watches the players on film. Billick, I presume as well. It's fairly late in the process and these guys are earning big bucks for their opinions. I'm sure they found the time to watch film and make some calls before putting their reputation on the line.

WCH 04-18-2011 11:28 PM

Quote:

Billick of the classic line "nobody that looks like Cam Newton has ever won the Superbowl". Way to be politically correct Brian.

That sounds like something he would say. He's been saying things like that about QBs for years. Dude has a clever offensive mind, but QB's baffle him. It's his Achilles Heal.

the natural 04-18-2011 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by niel89 (Post 2576086)
ZOMG GABBERT IS BOLLER 1.2v!

Boller came out of college with a 47% career accuracy percentage. His big year came as a senior. Not a valid comparison. Gabbert's career mark is 61%, without the benefit of a senior season with all of his offensive teammates returning intact.

FrankGore 04-18-2011 11:54 PM

I'm not a huge fan of Gabbert, but clearly anyone that likes him is projecting his abilities to a year or two down the line once he gets groomed up into a pro passing system. Depending on your opinion, that may be an illogical projection or it may be a realistic one, but that's what it is. He does bring very good tools to the table and he seems to have a solid head on his shoulders, so eh.

Complex 04-18-2011 11:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the natural (Post 2576040)
It baffles me that the most respected analysts, (former NFL coaches and managers who are how allowed to express a genuine opinion), rate Gabbert as the top quarterback (most don't even see it as being close), but the prevailing sentiment is that Newton goes first overall. ????

That same guy that said
Quote:

Trust me, Baltimore, I know quarterbacks
after signing future HOF Scott Mitchell

Iamcanadian 04-19-2011 12:16 AM

Quote:

Please, the people on NFLN are hired to do this job after the whole NFL season is over, then they start to review prospects starting with the seniors and don't ever look at juniors till they actually declare. It is pretty much the same with team's scouts. They all only have a superficial knowledge of juniors and don't start to really look at film on them till they declare.
Casserly made that comment way back at the start of the post season process when he was pressed to made a rating early. He said he was just beginning to watch film but his friends among the league's GM's and scouts had Gabbert as their #1 QB and a top 5 prospect.
It is pretty obvious that the people NFLN hire to go on 'Path to the Draft', are thoroughly watching a ton of film and have watched practically every throw these prospect QB's have ever made in college by now, so I haven't a clue why you go on reiterating this statement, it really makes you look foolish????

CashmoneyDrew 04-19-2011 12:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2576130)
it really makes you look foolish????

You're Ron Burgundy?

Babylon 04-19-2011 11:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iamcanadian (Post 2576130)
Please, the people on NFLN are hired to do this job after the whole NFL season is over, then they start to review prospects starting with the seniors and don't ever look at juniors till they actually declare. It is pretty much the same with team's scouts. They all only have a superficial knowledge of juniors and don't start to really look at film on them till they declare.
Casserly made that comment way back at the start of the post season process when he was pressed to made a rating early. He said he was just beginning to watch film but his friends among the league's GM's and scouts had Gabbert as their #1 QB and a top 5 prospect.
It is pretty obvious that the people NFLN hire to go on 'Path to the Draft', are thoroughly watching a ton of film and have watched practically every throw these prospect QB's have ever made in college by now, so I haven't a clue why you go on reiterating this statement, it really makes you look foolish????

You obviously have a love for NFLN i dont. To me they are just collectively taking positions and making it sound like they are spending all this time watching film and i highly doubt that they are. Keep the "foolish" comments to yourself by the way.

Halsey 04-19-2011 11:29 AM

It's a conspiracy by the NFLN. They're just pretending to watch tape. Those silly NFLN people.

Babylon 04-19-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halsey (Post 2576306)
It's a conspiracy by the NFLN. They're just pretending to watch tape. Those silly NFLN people.

To be honest i respect the opinions of people in here who follow this stuff on a year round basis and do it with little or no bias towards any of the players.

For those that buy into everything the media says day by day i would say form your own opinions for a change.