Final 2011 Draft Thoughts
This thread is for any predictions, mocks, big boards or anything else you want to call out. It's easier to look back here than to find them in the other thread.
I'm solid on my first two picks in Smith and Moore...but after that I dont know how we'd tackle things. If you wait any longer on DE, you're looking at a rather depleted position. But on the flip side, you can get some decent corners still in the third (Burton/House come to mind). I also wouldnt mind a playmaker type receiver in the third either...there are a few guys, who fit the mold here, but will probably land in the second. But good receivers fall every year. If we target middle round pass rushing...I think my boy Cliff Matthews could be a steal for us. He played nearly all of last season in a sling. In his previous seasons, he was an absolute monster. Like Captain Munnerlyn a few years ago, I really think he's being underrated, due to in part, to a rather injury plauged final college season. And I wont pretend like I've seen him play...but I fell in love with Buster Skrine at the combine. So I'd welcome that selection as well.
And yeah, while I want Moore. We never seem to take the safeties I like...hell, we barely go safety. Its been a neglected earlier round position for years...I hope we can put an end to that this year.
1. OT Tyron Smith
2. S Rahim Moore
3. DE Allen Bailey
4. CB Jalil Brown
4. OG Lee Ziemba
6. OLB Cliff Matthews (based on SCAR draft trends ; wishful thinking)
7. WR Demarco Sampson
I dont really feel like delving into trade talk...but yeah, moved back into the 4th. Cost us a 5th, 7th and lets say a future pick. lol.
My Final Top Big Board (of players I want for the Cowboys) for the Top 3 rounds.
1. Patrick Peterson
2. Von Miller
3. Marcell Dareus
4. Tyron Smith
5. Nick Fairley
6. JJ Watt
7. Robert Quinn
8. Prince Amukamara
9. Cameron Jordan
10. Ryan Kerrigan
11. Da'quan Bowers
12. Aldon Smith
13. Anthony Castonzo
14. Mike Pouncey
15. Corey Liuget
1. Aaron Williams
2. Brandon Harris
3. Akeem Ayers
4. Brooks Reed
5. Ras-I Dowling
6. Stephen Paea
7. Danny Watkins
8. Martez Wilson
9. Marvin Austin
10. Rahim Moore
11. Allen Bailey
12. Kenrick Ellis
13. James Carpenter
14. Christian Ballard
15. Andy Dalton
1. Stefen Wisniewski
2. Ben Ijalana
3. Will Rackley
4. Nate Irving
5. Shareece Wright
6. Marcus Gilchrist
7. Terrell McClain
8. Brandon Burton
9. Jah Reid
10. Johnny Patrick
11. DeMarco Murray
12. Jaiquawn Jarrett
13. John Moffitt
14. Clint Boling
15. Mason Foster
1. Greg Salas
2. Marcus Gilbert
3. Demarcus Love
4. Curtis Marsh
5. Deunta Williams
6. Kelvin Sheppard
7. Da'Norris Searcy
8. Jerrell Powe
9. Brandon Hogan
10. James Brewer
11. Kris O'Dowd
12. DeAndre McDaniel
13. Stephen Schilling
14. Bilal Powell
15. Chris Culliver
1. Brandon Fusco
2. Stanley Havili
3. Mark Herzlich
4. Jeremy Kerley
5. Jamie Harper
6. Demarcus Van Dyke
7. Jason Pinkston
8. Roy Helu
9. Jacquzz Rodgers
10. Ronald Johnson
11. Derek Newton
12. Buster Skrine
13. Ahmad Black
14. Jeron Johnson
15. Chykie Brown
Kinda ridiculous for me to to do the other rounds. lol.
I really hope we pull the trigger if Peterson falls to 5 or 6. You don't get many chances to add players of his caliber so moving up 3 or 4 spots is not only do-able, it's in our best interest. Our secondary has been an Achilles Heal for the past decade, it's time to add a stud.
With that said, he may be gone before we have a chance to make a move. If that's the case I 100% expect us to move down. Julio Jones will be our bargaining chip, expect STL or NE to be the trade partner. With the extra pick(s) I expect a ton of wheeling and dealing, with a focus on addressing the trenches early and often. My money says Castonzo or Watt will be the 1st pick.
Additional Names we've taken a liking to:
DeMarcus Van Dyke
Big Board and Prediction
Round 1 Big Board for Cowboys:
1) Patrick Peterson
2) Marcel Dareus
3) Von Miller
4) Anthony Castonzo
5) Tyron Smith
6) Cameron Jordan
7) Nick Fairly
8) JJ Watt
9) Nate Solder
10) Prince Amukamara
11) Aldon Smith
12) Robert Quinn
13) Jimmy Smith
14) Aaron Williams
15) Derek Sherrod
16) Ryan Kerigan
17) Corey Liuget
18) Gabe Carimi
19) Mike Pouncy
20) Phil Taylor
21) Brandon Harris
22) Da'Quan Bowers
23) Muhammad Wilkerson
24) Mark Ingram
25) Christian Ballard
Trade with St. Louis:
Cowboys get 14th and 47th pick
Rams get 9th and 110th pick
Cowboys take Cameron Jordan with the 14th pick. But if Jordan is gone, then they take Anthony Castonzo.
Trade with New England at 28.
Cowboys get 28th and 159th
Patriots get 47th and 71st
Cowboys take Aaron Williams at 28. If Williams isn't available, then they take Derek Sherrod, if Jordan was their first pick. If they take Castonzo and Williams is gone, they don't make the trade.
I'm starting to believe #9 pick will be used to select Jake Locker. No matter how I break down the top 10 I just don't see another guy dropping. Julio Jones isn't going to make it past 6 imo...someone will move up for him...NE/ATL/STL...whoever else has been linked with him.
Dalton and Locker being "top 20 locks" according to one nfl GM is good for us. Someone will move up and pick him ahead of Washington I think.
I think this is our best trading scenario. Locker could go 8..but I'm going to give gosselin the benefit of the doubt and buy into teams having their QB's picked out. I don't see any other great ways to move down...so lets cheer for a QB rush starting at 7.
Pats could come calling for defense.
edit...Mcshay is talking about it now, also. Damn you, Mcshay!
I think I have the same feeling that everyone has, if Peterson falls in the slightest I think we should jump up and take a guy that is going to make an impact fo years to come.
I would actually say the same thing about Von Miller and I have always disliked how we continuously keep taking Linebackers early in the draft, for some reason I think Miller would take Spencer's place on day 1.
While it seems the consensus is Tyron Smith may be our pick I have a gut feeling we won't even sniff at an offensive lineman, I have seen too many times a potential star lineman fall to us and we trade back or pick elsewhere.
With all of that said, if we stay where we are currently I see us picking J.J. Watt and I know i would be pretty happy about that.
Here is the rest of my picks real quick.
1) J.J. Watt DE, Wisconsin (Starts opposite Spears with Bowen and Hatcher remaining in the rotation)
2) Orlando Franklin, OT, Miami (Pushes Colombo for the Starting RT spot while we leave Free over at Left)
3) Josh Thomas, CB, Buffalo (Comes in and pushes for the Nickel Back spot and potentially takes the job over, if we think McCann will continue to improve then maybe this pick isn't made)
4) Jeron Johnson, S, Boise State (I might be thinking incorrectly here and may have gotten his position mixed up but I think he comes in and beats out Alan Ball)
5) Mario Addison, OLB, Troy (Maybe we tap back into the Troy pipeline, the last time we did it worked out pretty good)
6) Jerrell Powe, DT, Ole Miss (Gives Ratliff some much needed relief and possibly allows Ratliff to get more time at End in some situations)
7) Alex Wujack, ILB, Maryland (Pushes Sean Lee and makes the team as a special teamer)
Now I don't like the fact that I went a lot of defense but then again that was a glaring hole that we had. I think Romo coming back we will believe that we have the weapons on that side of the ball to score points and that we need to bring in guys for Rex Ryan to build his defense around.
from the draft thread
Who I'd be happy with
RB: Demarco Murray
WR: Randall Cobb, Dane Sanzenbacher, Denarius Moore, Dwayne Harris
OL: Gabe Carimi, Jah Reid, John Moffitt, Will Rackley
DL: JJ Watt, Marcell Dareus*
LB: Nate Irving, Mario Harvey
DB: Patrick Peterson* Aaron Williams, Ras-I Dowling, Curtis Brown, Mark LeGree
and the flip side
RB: anything before 4th excepth the above
WR: anything before 4th except the above
OL: Nate Solder Mike Pouncey (not first round)
DL Marvin Austin
LB: Casey Matthews
DB:Prince Amukamara, Quinton Carter
and a mock no trades, what I think will happen
1 Tyron Smith, or Castonzo perhaps in a trade down
2 Rahim Moore, or best available DB
3 Will Rackley, or another interior lineman
4 John Moffitt, or a D lineman
5 Mark LeGree, or another DB
6 Return man, a rb/wr/db perhaps Philip Livas
7 Another O lineman couldn't hurt
Day 2 Thoughts
The comfort of knowing that we have our bookends on the OL for the next decade has settled in, but the rest of the draft must go on!
Here is the order up to pick 40.
33. New England Patriots - Look for them to boost their pass rush.
34, Buffalo Bills - Secondary isn't one of their needs....Mallett/Dalton here?
35. Cincinnati Bengals - Could look at DB since Joseph is a FA...but I say QB.
36. Denver Broncos - Look for them to go DL after taking Miller.
37. Cleveland Browns - Took Haden in the 1st last year, they have other needs... like surrounding Colt McCoy with weapons.
38. Arizona Cardinals - Not taking a CB, after taking Peterson. :(
39. Tennessee Titans - Wild card. No clue.
40. Dallas Cowboys
So that really leads me to believe that we'll have our choice between Aaron Williams, Brandon Harris, Ras-I Dowling and Rahim Moore. By the time Round 3 comes around, these guys will be gone. I wouldn't mind risking a trade down if the value is good enough and enough of these guys are still available.
So here's my big board... Contemplated some new thoughts....
1. Akeem Ayers - Given more thought, I want him badly. We missed out on Von, but Ayers is an awesome 2nd place.
2. Brandon Harris - Edge over Williams because he's the better corner, imo.
3. Ras-I Dowling - Really tough choice over Williams. Character and physicality advantage. Ryan will blitz... Dowling can.
4. Aaron Williams - Still would be thrilled with him.
5. Rahim Moore - We need a DB before anyone else who follows.
6. Da'Quan Bowers - Free faller... If the guys above are gone...gimme gimme.
7. Marvin Austin - Austin ... Dallas ... A natural fit.
8. Allen Bailey - Fills a need.
9. Justin Houston - Smooth OLB, who has a violent demeanor.
10. Martez Wilson - Big ILB has a lot to like.
11. Stephen Paea - Don't love his fit for us, but eh...
12. Brooks Reed - Stronger than Houston, but is a little stiff.
13. Kenrick Ellis - DL help is welcomed.
14. Stefan Wisniewski - Hell... let's fix this OL up!
15. Curtis Brown - CB help, is CB help... Hoping it doesn't get this bad. Not a fan.
I hate only having one round the first day, today might even be more fun!
However, I really do like the fact that there are going to be several very very good options at 40. And we shouldn't really restrict ourselves to position. Just take the highest rated guy on the board.
BUT, I do have a personal affinity for DB. I think we need at least 2 quality DBs. One in FA and getting one here is almost a must because the DB depth as far as impact type guys will be gone.
Who I'm looking at for Rounds 4 and 5.
1. Christian Ballard - Falling due to failed drug test. I don't care now... We're desperate.
2. Brandon Hogan - On tape he looks like a 2nd rounder, but has fallen due to character question marks. Want him badly.
3. Davon House - Skills have been tested playing in the WAC and he has some nice potential. Kind of want him badly.
4. Clint Boling - Thought Boling would've been gone by now, so picking him up would be nice way to beef up the interior. Gimme Gimme.
5. DeMarcus Love - More an option that I liked in the 5th, but my list of desired prospects is wanning thin. Gimme.
6. Deunta Williams - Always liked what I saw of him. He's the only S left that I have any interest in. Would be sweeeet!
1. Quinton Carter - Not really a fan, but he's a body.
2. Kris O'Dowd - Has a lot of haters, but I think he's pretty darn athletic. Health is his issue.
3. Derek Newton - Cowboys brought him in... maybe there's some legit interest.
4. Brandon Fusco - Sleeper that will need a long time to develop.
5. Korey Lindsey - Another guy the Cowboys apparently like. Don't know much about him.
6. Jason Pinkston - Meh... He's a body. I think I might prefer FA.
7. DeAndre McDaniel - A familiar name. Nothing more.
Since Dallas is sticking with who they brought in or have shown interest. (rds. 4-7)
Greg McElroy, QB, Alabama
Jerrod Johnson, QB, Texas A&M
Bilal Powell, RB Louisville (might be time to fill our #1 spot since we already filled our #3rb spot)
Phillip Tanner, RB, Middle Tennessee St. (a Bigger back)
Edmond Gates, WR, Abilene Christian (speed guy, surprised Raiders didn't draft him yet)
Andre Holmes, WR, Hillsdale College
Jimmy Young, WR, TCU
Cecil Shorts, WR, Mount Union
DeMarcus Love, OG, Arkansas
Jake Kirkpatrick, C, TCU
Christian Ballard, DE, Iowa
Ian Williams, DT, Notre Dame
Greg Lloyd Jr, ILB, UConn (We Still Need Somone who will be able to play this season)
Brandon Burton, CB, Utah
Korey Lindsey, CB, Southern Illinois
Antareis Bryan, CB, Baylor
Quinton Carter, S, Oklahoma
De'Norris Searcy, S, North Carolina
Eric Hagg, S, Nebraska
Jonathan Nelson, S, Oklahoma
Collin Zych, S, Harvard
JJ is so horrible these days. I used to really like him as a prospect, but he's all f'd up now. He's not accurate and he's attempted to tweak his delivery and everything just looks so ugly out of his hand now. I still may be tempted to take a really late flyer on him, or pick him up as an undrafted guy. Kitna was good last year, but he's ancient and I'm not a big Mcgee fan.
Mcelroy just sucks.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:08 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.