2012 Draft Thread
Discuss the 2012 NFL Draft as it relates to the Minnesota Vikings
Team Needs for me pre-free agency
3. WR(if Rice leaves, if we can re-sign him long term, then WR isn't much of a need at all, just late round, if he leaves then it's a big need)
5. OLB(if Leber and/or Greenway leave after this year or next year in Greenway's case, then this could probably be higher)
After that, a lot depends on how our past two classes work out, OG and CB I would probably have next. If Burton and/or Cook show that they can start, then CB isn't as much of a need. If Love and/or DeGeare can lock down a spot, then OG isn't as much of a need
Obviously a lot will change between now and the end of next season, let alone come draft time, though.
In the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft, the Minnesota Vikings select: Reily Reiff
Just gonna take a shot in the dark right now
1. LT - This is a make for break year for McKinnie, if he gets his **** together I think he has a future here. Supposedly he had a life changing experience doing charity in Africa and he's been hanging out with one of the Williams sisters and he's down to 350lbs (how ******* fat was this guy last year?!?) If we nabbed and great LT prospect I could see McKinnie getting moved to RT and sliding Loadholt inside and rearranging the whole line.
2. CB- Winfield is ancient, Griffin if solid as a rock when healthy but he's coming off 2 ACL repairs so who knows if he can return to form, and Cook has health concerns and we have no idea if he can play or not. I'm not sure we should take a corner in round one but I definitely think getting someone in round 2 or later would be a good idea.
3. OLB- Greenway is a stud plain and simple, I'm certain he will sign a long-term deal. Leber has been reliable for us but he is currently a free agent and his play has been steadily declining over the past few years. I don't even think he will be here this year and I have no idea who will be playing WILL. Depending on how free agency goes and the season plays out this may end up being a bigger need than corner, who knows it's still early.
4. S- Make or break year for Tyrell Johnson, struggles reading offenses and for a guy that holds the sun belt conference record for tackles he kind of sucks at wrapping guys up in the pros, he takes poor angles and just looks lost at times. Madieu Williams is the worst starting safety in football. That includes all non NFL teams. Probably even high school teams. The rest of the guys are special teamers being forced into the lineup and they have no business being starters. This is a huge area of weakness for us but I think with free agency and some day 2 or 3 draft picks we can patch this gaping hole up.
5. MLB- EJ is very solid in run support but shaky coverage, he's been put in IR twice in the past 3 years and he is entering the last year of his contract at age 31. Do we really want to give him a big deal right as he is entering that period where most players start to decline? Behind him is Jasper Brinlkey who is a thumper like EJ but I think worse in coverage. If he keeps developing than maybe this isn't a big need after all.
LE- Who knows, we have some decent prospects on the roster, although Robison is more of a pass rusher than a true LE, Ballard intrigues me and Griffen could be good. Kind of a log jam of unknowns here.
DT- Same with LE, some solid prospects but no true heir apparent to fat Pat, could be addressed in free agency or maybe someone steps up. I've been waiting for Guion to reach his potential, maybe this is the year he finally does.
Interior OL- Again and bunch of interesting guys like Love, DeGeare, Fusco etc. Just need someone to step up, maybe a healthy Sullivan can get the job done at center but he seems to be too weak and undersized.
I'll elaborate a bit more. This is assuming we will be able to re-sign Sidney Rice. If not, I'd put WR #2 or #3.
1. LT - McKinnie is on his last legs as an NFL regular if he continues to regress like he has been the past few years. Still a decent run blocker but just isn't getting it done vs good edge rushers anymore. Could we see a 2-3 year deal for Matt Light in free agency?
2. NT - I like Fred Evans, but it's just such an important position in our defense. Could change depending on Evans' play this year.
3. CB - It's important but I still have some faith in Chris Cook becoming a solid player for this football team.
4. S - Self explanatory... really think we'll see a free agent signing this year to help try to plug this hole.
5. OG - Right guard definitely needs an upgrade, and left guard is getting pretty old. Hutch probably had his worst season of his career last year. I tend to think he will bounce back but we just don't know.
OLB - Yeah, I guess. It's by far the least important regular position on the team though. You can find 4-3 Sam's anywhere. Leber is a prime example of
this. Becomes more of a need if we somehow fail to lock up Greenway.
K - Again, easy position to fill.
WR - As I mentioned earlier, WR becomes more of a need if we don't re-sign Sidney Rice but I really think they will make every effort to keep him. If not, it's still a mini-need. We could use a possession guy to keep Harvin in the slot (Leonard Hankerson would have been perfect, too bad we didn't have that 3rd rounder this year, he went 5 picks after our pick we sent to the Pats)
I really think we get Rice signed, just listening to Spielman in interviews you get the sense that he is confident Rice will be back. Add in the fact that we really didn't address the position in the draft (I don't really count Burton as someone who can contribute to the team anytime soon) and it leads you to believe the front office isn't concerned about Rice walking. Another possibility is that the front office is ******** and has faith in Berrian and Camarillo which would really suck. Or maybe they really like Vincent Jackson and they try to go after him once the lockout ends, either way they don't seem too concerned about the position.
They finally got their young QB of the future. Now the Vikes focus should be O-line. Definatly need to inject some quality young talent into that group. LT is the one easy to project need at, but haven't seen many project LG as a high priority.
Hutch has had 2 consecutive injury plagued down years. Hutch is going to be 34 by the end of next season and his salary for 2011 & 2012 will be 6.68 & 6.95 Mil. I could see them release him next year unless he has a huge bounce back year.
If there isn't one of the top LT prospects available to at our slot give me David DeCastro in round 1.
We should start seeing draft picks get signed today.
All agree that left tackle is a huge need, but there are no real stars at that position in next years draft. If underclassmen come out, who are both redshirt juniors named Matt Kalil or Riely Reiff, then those would be two names at the top of my list. Two others that are not top elite prospects but could very good pros are Nate Potter and Jonathan Martin.
I would say like everyone else LT, S, WR are big needs. Might as well throw in defensive end as well, last year our pass rush really underachieved compared to the years previous, and Jared Allen is not getting any younger.
Then again at linebacker, next year is totally loaded, so would be smart to pick up a star linebacker if we have the chance.
In no order, I would not mind have any of these guys on our team.
Luke Kuechly Boston College JR
Vontaze Burfict Arizona State JR
Manti Te'o Notre Dame JR
Lavonte David Nebraska
Tank Carder TCU
Garrick Williams Texas A&M
Dont'a Hightower Alabama
Bruce Irvin West Virginia
Michael Mauti Penn State JR
Travis Lewis Oklahoma
Walter Stewart Cincinnati RS JR
Audie Cole NC State
I'll admit I don't pay too much attention to college football until January/February, but the name I keep thinking about is Justin Blackmon WR Oklahoma State. Just remember hearing his name a lot last season, and I think this team is going to want more playmakers at WR to help out the young QB.
We definitely will need a playmaker at WR, but WAY more than that, we need a LT to protect him, and then we can think about getting him a WR. He won't be able to find anyone if he isn't able to stand in the pocket, which is pretty much going to be the case this year for whoever is back there at QB. I'd love to see Matt Kalil or Jonathan Martin or Reilly Reiff or DJ Fluker in the first, and then maybe go with a WR like Jeff Fuller from Texas A&M or Ryan Broyles or Mohamed Sanu or Michael Floyd or...WR is stacked next year with Alshon Jeffrey and Blackmon and those I listed among others, so I think we can get a good WR in the 2nd or even 3rd if we wanted to go BPA or fill one of our defensive needs in the second.
Our secondary is so bad. Are there any good CBs or S to be had in FA next year?
......but between Charlie Johnson (a guy who protected Peyton Manning for a few years and has a Super Bowl ring) and DeMarcus Love (he will turn out to be a huge steal from that draft) I think our LT position is looking up to par.
We may not have a Walter Jones or Jonathan Ogden over there, but I do believe we have a guy who can hold his own over there for a few years.
You need a guy who can be out on an island with those elite edge pass rushers, which the NFC North has a batch of(Matthews, Peppers, and Van den Bosch is very good especially with those DT) at LT, and Johnson has been killed by Allen in practice EVERY day, and Love was killed by speed rushers in college, which unless he can vastly improve will hurt him even more as the pros doesn't get any slower.
Johnson and Love are both bad. We need a LT early next draft.
2. Secondary anywhere
4. Anywhere else on the offensive line.
The pick will most likely be a LT, but god damn would I love to get Blackmon or Jeffery.
Think we'll do bad enough this season to get Matt Kalil from USC?
That would be an unreal draft. Then we could spend later picks on secondary and interior line.
They will definatly be bad enough to get Kalil If they lose to KC.
Here are players that the Vikings might be taking a look at I feel in the 1st and 2nd rounds of the draft. Sadly there are so many positions of need, it is almost a joke. And I feel they could totally pull a Carolina and pick a quarterback even if the year before the picked one, because if they get a really high pick, how could you pass on any of those guys arguably.
Generally speaking, I would love if they actually got some offensive lineman that were just mashers so we could possibly try to use Peterson the way he should be used and give him some help up front. But all the elite tackles are more pass protectors, solid run blockers but not punishing dominating run blockers, but then again one does not always need that type of lineman to run successfully.
Matt Kalil USC RS JR
Jonathan Martin Stanford JR
Riley Reiff Iowa RS JR
Jared Crick Nebraska
Brandon Thompson Clemson
Jerel Worthy Michigan State JR
Xavier Rhodes Florida State RS SOPH
Dre Kirkpatrick Alabama JR
Morris Claiborne LSU JR
Jayron Hosley Virgina Tech JR
Stephon Gilmore South Carolina JR
Alfonzo Dennard Nebraska
Greg Reid Florida State JR
Cliff Harris Oregon JR
Donnie Fletcher Boston College
Chase Minnifield Virginia
Mike Harris Florida St.
Janoris Jenkins Florida
Charles Brown UNC
Terrence Frederick Texas A&M
Mark Barron Alabama
Bacarri Rambo Georgia JR
Winston Guy Kentucky
George Iloka Boise State
Brandon Taylor LSU
Lance Mitchell Oregon State
TJ McDonald USC JR
Robert Lester Alabama JR
Tramain Thomas Arkansas
Michael Floyd Notre Dame
Alshon Jeffery South Carolina JR
Justin Blackmon Oklahoma State RS JR
Jeff Fuller Texas A&M
Dwight Jones UNC
Stephen Hill Georgia Tech JR
Ryan Broyles Oklahoma RS
Chris Owusu Stanford
Jarius Wright Arkansas
Kendall Wright Baylor
Andrew Luck Stanford RS JR
Matt Barkley USC JR
Robert Griffin Baylor RS JR
David DeCastro Stanford JR
Brandon Washington Miami FL JR
Cordy Glenn Georgia
Patrick Omameh Michigan RS JR
Peter Konz Wisconsin JR
Michael Brewster Ohio State
Quenton Coples UNC
Devin Taylor South Carolina JR
Melvin Ingram South Carolina
Donte Paige-Moss UNC JR
Nick Perry USC RS JR
Could also go with linebacker but I assume they go for other needs first and do not use a high draft pick on a backer, they just have way bigger needs at other spots.
|All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:58 PM.|
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.