Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   Off Topic (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=46)
-   -   A Song of Ice and Fire (TV/Book Spoilers) (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47629)

fenikz 05-23-2011 05:04 AM

A Song of Ice and Fire (TV/Book Spoilers)

this show certainly needs its own thread, just finished today's episode the ending was one of the best thing i have ever seen movie or tv

ImBrotherCain 05-23-2011 07:49 AM

I just got HBO to watch this show. Glad to see it stacks up to the hopes I had. Now i just need to find the time to catch up

j05son 05-23-2011 07:57 AM

I don't watch much tv but right now I'm keeping up with How I Met Your Mother, Camelot and Game of Thrones.

GoT is really good. I'm actually thinking of reading the books.

Giantsfan1080 05-23-2011 08:04 AM

Show has been excellent so far but I have not read the books. I sometimes get the families mixed up but I printed something out to help me in that regards.

nepg 05-23-2011 08:53 AM

there's a wiki with family trees. really helpful for understanding the dynamics (just be careful not to read the spoilers). from people I've talked to who read the books, the series is not disappointing in the least. helps that martin started off as a screenwright.

vidae 05-23-2011 09:15 AM

The books are really fantastic and the 5th book comes out sometime this year.. in July I think. He hasn't released a book in like 6 years or something so I was thinking about re-reading them all before that. I've been kinda busy lately so we'll see if I can make the time. :(

Damix 05-23-2011 09:26 AM

Watched the first few episodes, then started reading the book.

I'm pretty amazed at how true it is to the book so far. Hopefully that continues.

btw: is next weeks episode on HBOGo already?

TACKLE 05-23-2011 11:07 AM

best episode yet. wow.

Giantsfan1080 05-23-2011 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damix (Post 2604494)

I'm pretty amazed at how true it is to the book so far. Hopefully that continues.

I believe so.

FlyingElvis 05-23-2011 01:23 PM

Having Martin involved seems to have ensured the series follows the books almost exactly. Obviously, as with any book-to-movie title, the book has room for far more information and is by far the better option.

Didnt' watch last night's episode yet - not that it matters much since as the story unfolds I have been easily able to recall the whole thing despite reading it almost a decade ago. (perhaps it is more than a decade . . . don't really want to think about that too hard. lol)

But that fact alone makes me realize how well written the series is. It's not often that even the small details remain after that long. It's only the best stuff that sticks that well.

comahan 05-23-2011 04:25 PM

Fan-*******-tastic show. Easily my favorite show in the last few years.

Im in the process of reading the book as a result of this show, and I'm actually glad to have seen most of it first. I think its a rare case of it being a good thing to see the show before reading the source material. And I only say that because, as of now, the show has been extremely faithful to the book. And because of that, because they dont take completely different directions with it (so far), Im greatly enjoying all of the extra little details to things that Ive seen on screen, rather than being peeved about the show leaving things out, which is likely what id feel if Id have read the book before seeing the show.

j05son 05-23-2011 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Damix (Post 2604494)

Yes. The site I use already has it available for download. The quality doesn't appear to be that great though.

fenikz 05-23-2011 07:25 PM

ya ill be waiting for HD, half of the awesomeness is just the sets and such

StripedWalrus 05-23-2011 07:55 PM

Really glad to see that you guys are liking this show. I had been waiting for it to come out for a while but at the same time was worried that it would ruin the books for me. Glad they kept close to the books with a few minor discrepancies.

TitansCJftw 05-23-2011 09:44 PM

count me in on this show is badass im about to watch episode 6, also its rated 9.5 on imdb also very impressive

themaninblack 05-23-2011 11:11 PM

Love it. Always wanted to read the books but never found the time. Still gonna read the books at some point but the show has been fantastic thus far and have no reason to believe it wont continue to be. Sunday nights on HBO are fuckn epic.

nepg 05-24-2011 12:01 AM

One of the folks I know who is a avid reader and was a huge fan of the books is only slightly disappointed with the show. His beef is with the role the wolves have played in the series thus far compared to their importance in the book series. I have to agree with him on Ep. 6. There was no reason for the two wolves to not be out there with them. That's the first big change from the book (mostly happened because they didn't want to pay for the CGI).

nepg 05-24-2011 12:01 AM

I'm going to try to read the books before the 5th comes out.

vidae 05-24-2011 12:10 AM

I'll definitely have the first four books re-read before the 5th comes out.

XxXdragonXxX 05-24-2011 01:18 AM

Easily my favorite show on TV right now. Never read the books, or even heard of them for that matter until they decided to make the show.

j05son 05-24-2011 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fenikz (Post 2604625)
ya ill be waiting for HD, half of the awesomeness is just the sets and such

Yeah, I'm waiting as well. Plus I'd rather not wait 2 weeks for a new episode.

Prowler 05-24-2011 02:29 PM

It has one of the greatest opening credits sequences ever. Love the map. Its like an elder scrolls game opening on crack with a happy ending thrown in for free.

I haven't read any of the books yet. I'll probably blow through them after the season is over. I love how all the hot chicks get naked. Some of the episodes get kinda dense with lore, but they at least reward the viewers' persistence with nudity and blood.

StripedWalrus 05-25-2011 05:37 PM

Episode 7 Spoiler

Episode 7 Spoiler

fenikz 05-25-2011 05:40 PM

i dont wanna touch that spoiler tag since ep. 7 is out, can people put like ep. 6 spoiler or 7 or something just so you dont accidentally ruin it for someone

StripedWalrus 05-25-2011 10:44 PM

I almost regret watching Episode 7. Now I have to wait nearly 2 weeks for the next episode. I already know what happens and yet I am still worried about what happens next. They are doing great with this show.

Anyone play the Game of Thrones Board game?