Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona St. (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48626)

BeerBaron 09-09-2011 10:48 PM

Brock Osweiler, QB, Arizona St.

What are everyone's thoughts on him? He's a junior and this will be his first year as a full time starter.

My thoughts:

He's HUGE, listed at 6'8 and appears to have a very lively arm having thrown some nice passes tonight. He also looks like he can move around pretty well too.

I think he's a guy to watch for 2013.

Hurricanes25 09-09-2011 10:50 PM

I like him a lot. Big frame, big arm, puts a lot of zip on his passes, and he's pretty mobile for a guy his size. He also has a quick delivery. He is still very raw though. Like you said, he is someone to pay attention to in 2013.

ElectricEye 09-09-2011 10:52 PM

The sick reality of this business is that he might be a guy to watch for this year if he has any production whatsoever. You don't find guys with that kind of size and athleticism very often. It's still super early with a small sample size, but you've got to like what you've seen so far. Best thing I've seen about him is the sheer athleticism. He moves far better than most jumbo size quarterbacks do. Not a scrambler or a guy who is going to burn you running very often, but his movements and mechanics are just very easy and fluid. Moves well within the pocket as well.

He's got a long way to go, but he's got as much potential as any QB out there south of Luck... and as much physically as anyone.

SolidGold 09-09-2011 10:55 PM

Not to toot my own horn but I was impressed with him last year as a replacement for Threet. He has all the tools needed at the next level. I hope he stays the next two years and does not leave early so he can develop.

BeerBaron 09-09-2011 10:58 PM

As has been said, he has a ways to go yet, but the only comparison I can think of with that kind of size and smooth athletic ability is Ben Roethlisberger.

I was most impressed with a couple of shorter passes he threw. On-target laser beams.

ElectricEye 09-09-2011 11:11 PM

Maybe semantics, but I don't see Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger is a naturally thick human being. Osweiler has a wing basketball build, which has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages. I also haven't seen a guy that likes the hold the ball as much as Big Ben does quite yet. Small sample size, but I'm not quite feeling that at the moment. Can't really give a precise answer as to who he reminds me of though.

Brent 09-09-2011 11:16 PM

that TD to #4 didn't lead him as much as I would have wanted, if we are going to nitpick.

gator3guy 09-09-2011 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElectricEye (Post 2671794)
Maybe semantics, but I don't see Roethlisberger. Roethlisberger is a naturally thick human being. Osweiler has a wing basketball build, which has it's own set of advantages and disadvantages. I also haven't seen a guy that likes the hold the ball as much as Big Ben does quite yet. Small sample size, but I'm not quite feeling that at the moment. Can't really give a precise answer as to who he reminds me of though.

In my opinion there isn't a true comparison. We haven't seen a 6'8 QB, let alone one with his skills.

ElectricEye 09-09-2011 11:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brent (Post 2671801)
that TD to #4 didn't lead him as much as I would have wanted, if we are going to nitpick.

I think he's got the right ideas about ball placement and timing. Clearly some stuff to work on there though.

fenikz 09-09-2011 11:32 PM

Reminds me of John Skelton if anyone, not a bad think I loved Skelton as a prospect

SchizophrenicBatman 09-09-2011 11:44 PM

yea there really isnt a good comparison for him. his body type is more like a john isner or an andrew brackman than any of the other 6'6+ QBs we've seen

i really like what i've seen from him. he isn't a finished product by any means but teams have taken bigger fliers on guys with worse tools and ability

TACKLE 09-10-2011 12:29 AM

With two more seasons of experience in CFB, this guy could be quite the prospect. He has a terrific arm and a very compact release considering his height. He actually reminds me of a young Joseph Flacco.

niel89 09-10-2011 12:39 AM

What I really like is that his size isn't a handicap for him. He moves well and just looks fluid. His arm strength is looking like its very good to great, but not quite elite yet. His release is a lot quicker and compact than I would think for a lanky guy like that.

JLaw45 09-12-2011 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gator3guy (Post 2671806)
In my opinion there isn't a true comparison. We haven't seen a 6'8 QB, let alone one with his skills.

Actually...

SickwithIt1010 09-12-2011 05:56 PM

I was thinking about going to the university of montana to play football for a little while my senior year, half way through the year we go to play Flathead High School in Montana....Osweiler was their QB.

Beat him 42-6.

Now look at the frickin kid lol. Prolly gonna be makin some bucks playin on sundays. He has come a long way from when I played against him, release is much quicker now than it was, and hes gotten much thicker.

His freshman and sophomore year he was committed to play basketball at Gonzaga by the way. Good athlete.

MassNole 11-29-2011 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeerBaron (Post 2671774)
What are everyone's thoughts on him? He's a junior and this will be his first year as a full time starter.

My thoughts:

He's HUGE, listed at 6'8 and appears to have a very lively arm having thrown some nice passes tonight. He also looks like he can move around pretty well too.

I think he's a guy to watch for 2013.

If Barkley goes pro, I'd have him as the #1 QB in 2013.

fenikz 11-29-2011 04:27 PM

:/ he's no where near that good, with a good year he can be a mid-late round developmental QB but his footwork and throwing motion need a ton of work as well as he needs to add a ton of muscle to his frame.

But most likely ASU's new headcoach is going to come from a spread offense (Leech or Sumlin) so he will just continue to take snaps from the shotgun and not work on his drops

BeerBaron 11-29-2011 04:34 PM

Little bit of thread necromancy....he looked quite good in the game I was watching when I first posted this at least.

Babylon 11-29-2011 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JLaw45 (Post 2676211)

McGuire was the first one to come to mind and that isnt necessarily a good thing.

Brock is a good athlete. Originally was going to go to Gonzaga on a basketball scholarship so there's that. Personally will need to see a lot more before i can get too excited about him for 2013.

BeerBaron 01-06-2012 04:33 PM

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...ers-nfl-draft/

Osweiler is coming out. Must not have liked the idea of the change in ASU coaching staff.

Mid-rounder with enormous upside I'm thinking. 5th round pick?

gpngc 01-06-2012 04:34 PM

Bump. No Barkley, no Jones. Someone will fall in love...

EDIT: one minute later... wtf

BeerBaron 01-06-2012 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gpngc (Post 2813666)
Bump. No Barkley, no Jones. Someone will fall in love...

EDIT: one minute later... wtf

Yeah, the position has two GREAT ones at the top, them some "meh" ones in Tannehill (2nd round imo) and Foles (who I strongly dislike at the position.)

5th round is my early starting point. If he works out well and some teams fall in love with the physical tools, he could raise. Given that is pretty raw and only has one year as a full time starter, I wouldn't take him any earlier than the 3rd. Someone may though.

DraftSavant 01-06-2012 04:44 PM

If he signs with Tom Condon, he'll get first round buzz by tomorrow.

We may have found this year's Gabbert. Love this kid's tools, but he's going to get seriously overdrafted.

Giantsfan1080 01-06-2012 05:10 PM

When Josh Freeman declared did people think he was a 1st rounder or did he steadily rise up draft boards because of his tools?

BaLLiN 01-06-2012 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giantsfan1080 (Post 2813701)
When Josh Freeman declared did people think he was a 1st rounder or did he steadily rise up draft boards because of his tools?

I think he was regarded as a 1st rounder by a lot of draftniks but not mid first when he first declared.