Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   2015 NFL Draft Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=47)
-   -   Dontari Poe, NT/DT, Memphis (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48768)

bored of education 09-24-2011 11:53 AM

Dontari Poe, DT, Memphis
 
Dontari is a large man, physical freak, but he plays a bit inconsistent. He has very good hand placement and footwork. His inconsistency lies within him exploding off the ball to high, but he does that vs. weak competition.

He is on the national stage today vs. SMU's spread attack. I would like to see some upfield penetration or occupation of two blockers to open it up for others on the D.

This guy is this years Phil Taylor more than he is Kenrick Ellis(he compares better than Ellis size wise but skillset more Phil), he will have a very solid year of film and will beast it in the pre-draft process and could end up being a 1st rounder. Right now Late 2nd-early 3rd. I don't see him being worse than a 3rd rounder just based upon his size and absolute monstrous strength.

wow lol I was way off added= 02/27/12

Listed at 6'5, 350, I think he is more like 6'4, 330. Power-clean 400 pounds, Bench press 500 pounds, Squat 700. Still a mountain of a man.


Where does he project to play at the next level? He could play NT, 3-4 DE and 4-3 UT/NT. He provides versatility due to his size, footwork, overall skillset.

bored of education 09-24-2011 12:02 PM

Vs. SMU updates ( I will add some comments on what I see as the game goes on)

ON the first drive, when the Tiger's D was in a 3 man front, he was lined up as a 5 tech commanding a double team still getting good penetration. He is showing low explosion off the ball early, will he keep that up late in to the game? When lined up in a 3 tech spot, he showed a spin move on the inside, interesting. On the touchdown he got sealed pretty well buy the SMU o linemen. he stayed relatively low on that play, though. This SMU O line is all seniors with a lot of experience.

2nd drive: Poe got some very good penetration on the 26 yard play, about .3 seconds late. Memphis runs a lot of 3 man fronts with Poe lined up at 5-tech. SMU is dicing this defense up though. This is not a good team. *note to self* watch more of SMU's Zach Line. Brian Leonhard type of player with ball in his hands. Poe was double teamed on the TD and really didn't do much. This team is not good, am I wasting my time watching this game?

3rd drive: Sack strip by Poe on the first play. Sustained his position after getting off the ball easily while double teamed. Good recognition, ruled incomplete. Memphis with a turnover on the next play. This game could have gotten ugly if SMU scored again.

4th drive: I am adjusting fantasy rosters, so I missed the first play. Memphis with a sack, they are lining up a smaller 4 man front. Poe not in.

Duffman57 09-24-2011 05:30 PM

The thing with Poe is that its hard for them to put him at the NT spot since they have a guy in DeAngelo McCray whos more of a true NT, so they need him there, but he is quite an athletic big guy and his coach was quoted saying that he would be a top olympic level lifter (their weights coach does coach olympic level lifters). The dude is an absolute freak and is incredibly "Country strong" as most would put it.

I think he could be a monster though in a Combo NT/DE role similar to Haloti Ngata, but with more of an emphasis on the NT position.

bored of education 10-24-2011 08:08 PM

I really think this guy ends up being a late 1st rounder and at worst drafted in the range of a Linvall Joseph. Big men that can move like this do not grow on trees.

TACKLE 10-24-2011 08:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bored of education (Post 2724414)
I really think this guy ends up being a late 1st rounder and at worst drafted in the range of a Linvall Joseph. Big men that can move like this do not grow on trees.

And this is why I was hyping him a potential top pick coming into the season. He has prototype physical make up to go along with freakish agility for a man his size. Even if he's still a little raw and a little inconsistent, he's a piece of clay who can be molded into the centerpiece of an NFL defense.

Scott Wright 10-24-2011 09:06 PM

I'm a big fan of Poe, who will be in the Top 20 of the new mock tomorrow.

ellsy82 10-24-2011 09:22 PM

Wow...really Scott? I dunno. Incredible talent, and obviously SUPER strong, but has he really done enough to even warrant being drafted when it comes down to it? Comparisons aside...He's not near the football player Ngata was when he came out.

Scott Wright 10-24-2011 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellsy82 (Post 2724585)
Wow...really Scott? I dunno. Incredible talent, and obviously SUPER strong, but has he really done enough to even warrant being drafted when it comes down to it? Comparisons aside...He's not near the football player Ngata was when he came out.

I think Poe could be the first defensive tackle off the board.

Rare size and athleticism, can play multiple positions and is scheme diverse, etc.

Also, keep in mind that there isn't a Suh or Dareus in this class and defensive lineman are always in high demand on Draft Day so guys are going to inevitably get pushed upwards.

ellsy82 10-24-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scott Wright (Post 2724593)
I think Poe could be the first defensive tackle off the board.

Rare size and athleticism, can play multiple positions and is scheme diverse, etc.

Also, keep in mind that there isn't a Suh or Dareus in this class and defensive lineman are always in high demand on Draft Day so guys are going to inevitably get pushed upwards.

Interesting. You'd rate Worthy, Thompson, and Crick behind Poe? Well, I get Worthy and Crick, but Thompson has been impressive in my opinion. He's the perfect NT in a 4-3, to me, at least. Tomato/tomatoe, I guess.

Scott Wright 10-24-2011 09:41 PM

Thompson will be a three-technique in a 4-3 or a five technique in a 3-4.

Hines 10-25-2011 01:58 AM

Love Poe. I could see the Steelers taking him in either the first, or hoping he falls in the second.

RaiderNation 10-25-2011 02:09 AM


ellsy82 10-25-2011 06:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hines (Post 2725106)
Love Poe. I could see the Steelers taking him in either the first, or hoping he falls in the second.

I would serial murder myself if that happened.

Matthew Jones 10-25-2011 06:54 AM

I haven't had a chance to see Memphis play this year but Todd McShay has been high on this guy for a while and still has him in his top 32. Interesting that Scott is jumping on the Poe bandwagon as well. I'll have to try and catch a Memphis game this year.

Ozzy 10-25-2011 09:29 AM

In the grand scheme of things, when it is all said and done, give me Jonathan Hankins or Louis Nix III over Poe in the long term.

In this draft alone Poe has these other three to compete with.


Alameda Ta'amu Washington
Nicolas Jean-Baptiste Baylor
Marcellis Williamson Ohio


But yes, everyone is looking for that stud nose tackle, but really there has yet to be a NT like Vince Wilfork. He is still the standard.

Hines 10-25-2011 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy (Post 2725226)
In the grand scheme of things, when it is all said and done, give me Jonathan Hankins or Louis Nix III over Poe in the long term.

In this draft alone Poe has these other three to compete with.


Alameda Ta'amu Washington
Nicolas Jean-Baptiste Baylor
Marcellis Williamson Ohio


But yes, everyone is looking for that stud nose tackle, but really there has yet to be a NT like Vince Wilfork. He is still the standard.

Marcellis Williamson died....

Scott Wright 10-25-2011 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RavenOfProphecy (Post 2725194)
I haven't had a chance to see Memphis play this year but Todd McShay has been high on this guy for a while and still has him in his top 32. Interesting that Scott is jumping on the Poe bandwagon as well. I'll have to try and catch a Memphis game this year.

I've been talking about Poe for a little while.

Just last week Shane and I talked about him on the podcast for like ten minutes.

nobodyinparticular 10-29-2011 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hines (Post 2725260)
Marcellis Williamson died....

Did they ever release cause of death for him? A super-quick google search turns up nothing.

Scott Wright 10-30-2011 08:32 PM

Here is a link to my blog entry on Poe in case you missed it:

____________________________________________

Tell-Tale Tiger
http://draftcountdown.com/blog/archive/oct11.php#oct28

____________________________________________

marshallb 10-30-2011 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nobodyinparticular (Post 2729307)
Did they ever release cause of death for him? A super-quick google search turns up nothing.

Here's what I found:

Quote:

The father of a former Ohio University football player who died last week said Sunday his sonís death resulted from a blood clot in his lung.
Marcellis Williamson, 23, died Wednesday night at Euclid Hospital in Euclid, Ohio. Following a Thursday autopsy, a Cuyahoga County Coronerís Office spokesperson said a full toxicology report would be completed before determining the cause of Williamsonís death.
But Williamsonís father, Brian Perkins, said Sunday afternoon that the cause of death was a blood clot in the lung. Perkins said the coronerís office had run a toxicology screening, which came back negative.
The family has planned a wake and funeral service Saturday at Watsonís Funeral Home, located at 10193 Superior Ave. in Cleveland.

ellsy82 11-01-2011 08:59 PM

This is ridiculous. The guys isn't even in the top 100 in any major category even in a weak conference...He's the definition of a workout warrior. You guys are placing an athlete above a football player. Poe is not worth being drafted, let alone in the first round. Am I missing something here?

TheSlinger 11-01-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellsy82 (Post 2733428)
This is ridiculous. The guys isn't even in the top 100 in any major category even in a weak conference...He's the definition of a workout warrior. You guys are placing an athlete above a football player. Poe is not worth being drafted, let alone in the first round. Am I missing something here?

Have you actually watched him play or are you basing the abilities of a defensive tackle, a nose tackle, solely on statistics?

Note: I haven't watched him play either.

ChiFan24 11-01-2011 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ellsy82 (Post 2733428)
This is ridiculous. The guys isn't even in the top 100 in any major category even in a weak conference...He's the definition of a workout warrior. You guys are placing an athlete above a football player. Poe is not worth being drafted, let alone in the first round. Am I missing something here?

You've been on this board for almost a year and you still think statistics have anything to do with anything?

Ozzy 11-01-2011 10:55 PM

Quote:

ellsy82 This is ridiculous. The guys isn't even in the top 100 in any major category even in a weak conference...He's the definition of a workout warrior. You guys are placing an athlete above a football player. Poe is not worth being drafted, let alone in the first round. Am I missing something here?
I agree, I have seen Poe play a few games. Basically come away with wow that guy is huge, what he is 6-5 350, maybe he can play NT. Other than that...

Sure he might be able to lift a lot, but Terrence Cody made much more of an impact on the field I believe, and that is sad to say considering Cody barely played because of his conditioning issues. At least when he was in, he made an impact, have yet to see said impact out of Poe.



Haloti Ngata, at this point I do not see anything close to that in Poe. So then one is talking what, a Gabe Watson or Alan Branch type of player?


He is a rare player though, potentially if he is indeed as strong as some say. But like I said before other players in this same class has similar abilities arguably. And sorry about Marcellis Williamson, I did not hear that news, too bad for that young man, he could have been a solid football player potentially at the next level at NT as well.

ellsy82 11-02-2011 06:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ozzy (Post 2733550)
I agree, I have seen Poe play a few games. Basically come away with wow that guy is huge, what he is 6-5 350, maybe he can play NT. Other than that...

Sure he might be able to lift a lot, but Terrence Cody made much more of an impact on the field I believe, and that is sad to say considering Cody barely played because of his conditioning issues. At least when he was in, he made an impact, have yet to see said impact out of Poe.



Haloti Ngata, at this point I do not see anything close to that in Poe. So then one is talking what, a Gabe Watson or Alan Branch type of player?


He is a rare player though, potentially if he is indeed as strong as some say. But like I said before other players in this same class has similar abilities arguably. And sorry about Marcellis Williamson, I did not hear that news, too bad for that young man, he could have been a solid football player potentially at the next level at NT as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiFan24 (Post 2733468)
You've been on this board for almost a year and you still think statistics have anything to do with anything?

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheSlinger (Post 2733451)
Have you actually watched him play or are you basing the abilities of a defensive tackle, a nose tackle, solely on statistics?

Note: I haven't watched him play either.

No...I do not watch Memphis play on a regular basis...so stats are nearly all I can go buy. I've not watched any video clips because there just aren't any out there on the guy, so the proof isn't in the pudding there. Guys...we're talking about putting this guy as a top 15 pick here. Al Davis is dead (rest in peace), and I CANNOT believe that Houston wouldn't trade back and pick up a guy like Ta'amu if they're THAT desperate for a nose tackle.

A can't be the only guy that believes this. Anyone have any clips that shows how dominant this guy is on the football field? I can see picking him up as a mid-round pick off his strength alone, but a solid early 1st round pick? Crazy...


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:36 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.