Draft Countdown Forums

Draft Countdown Forums (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/index.php)
-   San Francisco 49ers Team Forum (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   49ers Gameday Thread: Week 6: 49ers at Lions (http://www.draftcountdown.com/forum/showthread.php?t=49037)

Borat 10-13-2011 02:17 AM

49ers Gameday Thread: Week 6: 49ers at Lions

Week 6:
Sunday, October 16, 2011

San Francisco 49ers (4-1)
at
Detroit Lions (5-0)

Time: 10:00 am pst

Bigger surprise this year: Niners start 4-1 or Lions start 5-0? This game is much bigger than I anticipated coming into the year. Also sucks that I want to root for the Lions and instead we have to face them. And depending on what some of our resident Lions' fans say this week, I may end up hating them. I hate that.

Uhhhhh, not real optimistic about what we can do with this guy:

Dude, they take that 5-0 record seriously.

Suh is a badass. I mean, I don't care about this:

or this:

or this:

I just want this guy to come down with the flu soon.

Oh, and this is pretty unfair:

If this guy gets on the field, we're ******:

So, no more of this:

But hey, we got this guy now:

They got this guy too:

Damn.

Sh!t.

Oh, that is whack.

But this guy is back:

Ooops, meant this guy:

Watch ya head, Tron.

Standings: It's a battle of two first place teams!!

NFC West
1. San Francisco 49ers (4-1)
2. Seattle Seahawks (2-3)
3. Arizona Cardinals (1-4)
4. St. Louis Rams (0-4)

NFC North
1. Detroit Lions (5-0)
1. Green Bay Packers (5-0)
3. Chicago Bears (2-3)
4. Minnesota Vikings (1-4)

Special Note: LOL St. Louis.

Ness 10-13-2011 02:50 AM

Yeah I really don't have a good feeling about this game. Detroit looks better and we're on the road. Our offensive line I still don't trust and Iupati might not play. We're really getting banged up. Michael Crabtree needs to step his game up. I have a feeling running the ball will be difficult and the game might be in Alex's hands. He'll have to bail us out.

The most glaring thing for me is our offense, as usual. The passing game is getting better, but I still can't trust Alex yet. This is a good opportunity for him to further cement the perception that he's actually improving. We'll see.

BRAVEHEART 10-13-2011 03:11 AM

Who's supposed to be Prime?

binary 10-13-2011 03:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART (Post 2710966)
Who's supposed to be Prime?

Dashon Goldson..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkYuK3AKrxc

abaddon41_80 10-13-2011 06:34 AM

Any news from the 49ers on who is going to be mainly covering Megatron? Part of me wants Culliver because I would like to see what he can do and he does have the physicality to not be manhandled by CJ. On the other hand, Spencer has performed well against bigger, physical receivers in the past. Either way, I want whoever is on him, as well as Goldson when he gets the chance, to be incredibly physical with him. Maybe we can wear him down by the end of the game.

Menardo75 10-13-2011 09:24 AM

To tell the truth I'm really not that worried about Calvin. The Niners have played the lions a couple times since they have had him, and he hasn't been a factor. Granted Stafford wasn't playing in those games I still don't think it will be the huge deal everyone is making it out to be.

abaddon41_80 10-13-2011 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menardo75 (Post 2711070)
To tell the truth I'm really not that worried about Calvin. The Niners have played the lions a couple times since they have had him, and he hasn't been a factor. Granted Stafford wasn't playing in those games I still don't think it will be the huge deal everyone is making it out to be.

In 2008 we held him to 40 yards on four receptions but a lot of that was Nate Clements. When Clements was out in 2009, CJ had seven catches for 96 yards. Say what you will about Clements but he was good at covering bigger receivers.

noondog 10-13-2011 11:10 AM

Lions are coming off an emotional MNF division win and the Niners will definitely be up for this game. I hope I'm wrong, but I think San Fran walks away with a W on Sunday.

BRAVEHEART 10-13-2011 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binary (Post 2710967)

So Calvin's gonna kill him. Nate Burleson is Starscream, and Stafford is Soundwave?

binary 10-13-2011 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BRAVEHEART (Post 2711202)
So Calvin's gonna kill him. Nate Burleson is Starscream, and Stafford is Soundwave?

Justin Smith is Rodimus.

VAfy-ya 10-13-2011 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Menardo75 (Post 2711070)

I like Rodgers on Megatron. Rodgers is a very good press CB. He's got get size and good hips. He had a problem playing the ball well in press but that looks to be improving. That being said, we have to use alot of looks.....trap zones, combo coverages, man-zone to confuse Stafford. And we CAN NOT let Megatron get off the line clean. Absolutely under no circumstances. And we have to have either line-up either Rodgers or Spencer on CJ eclusively. We cant let Brown end up on him or its going to be trouble.

49erNation85 10-13-2011 09:06 PM

Borat your game day threads get better ever week.I don't know if i should laugh or enjoy.But they are just funny and a good read.The pics and words always match some how.But this game is gonna be fun to watch.I just hope our offense can hold up and get rockin early on. I'm glade I am home to watch this game so gonna be fun!!!

GO 49ERS!!!

binary 10-14-2011 02:02 AM

Greg Cosell said that Culliver would be a good guy to have cover Megatron...I think not.

Ness 10-14-2011 02:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by binary (Post 2711720)
Greg Cosell said that Culliver would be a good guy to have cover Megatron...I think not.

Yeah I heard that too. Culliver might be a good player in this league, but I'm not sure if he's ready to go toe to toe with Megatron yet.

BRAVEHEART 10-14-2011 02:20 AM

I think he's ready.

Ness 10-14-2011 03:43 AM

By the way we were only 2/7 on third down last game for offense. That really bothers me.

abaddon41_80 10-14-2011 06:39 AM

We don't have anyone on our roster who can really cover CJ and Culliver is probably our most physically gifted CB so why not him? Megatron is likely going to destroy whoever is covering him but at least Culliver has the best chance of bringing him down when he does get the ball. And, like I said earlier, maybe a physical corner could wear him down so he doesn't do any damage at the end of the game.

@Ness - I am more encouraged that we only had seven third downs. Besides, on all but one of those we needed 8+ yards and one of them was with CK in. Two of five on third and 8+ isn't bad.

Madirishman 10-14-2011 10:42 AM

NOBODY can be expected to cover CJ straight up. He's an elite player, but with proper scheming, (what the Niners success has been built on this season) they can minimize the potential damage he can do. I think having Rogers shadow him with Goldson laying the wood early to send a message would be the best plan. Cully is an athlete, but he's not ready to go with CJ one-on-one. That would be a mistake. Give the kid some more work before they throw him to the Lion. LOL

I'd like this game a lot more if it was a home game but it will be a good test on the road for the Niners. I see the potential for a let-down game for either team, but I expect both teams to compete intensely as these are two franchises that have had their a$$es kicked a lot in recent years; they both want payback.

In watching the Lions games this season, it is not a fluke that they are 5-0 as they have some elite talent at a couple positions but they do have holes and flaws and haven't achieved their record easily. They have had to come from behind a couple times to pull W's. Stafford can make all the throws (they won on Monday night with him overthrowing open receivers for would-be big gains 3-4 times) but he will also make errors when he has pressure in his face. He's still a developing player and you have to remember that this game is only his 20-something NFL start. Fangio needs to turn up Aldon and the heat. If Stafford has time, our secondary is toast.

Their D line is a great group but their linebackers are average (with some speed) and other than Delmas at FS, their secondary isn't an elite group, and can be susceptible to giving up large gains in the passing game.

The Niners have been doing a great job stopping the run and Best has done well when given space. His game is speed and if he doesn't get going, then he isn't nearly as effective. I like the matchup with Willis and Bowman going after Best sideline to sideline.

I believe the key for the Niners is getting a fast start offensively and converting for TDs, not FGs, when they have opportunities. Some good scoring with a variety of pressures on Stafford will give the Niners the best chance to win.

abaddon41_80 10-14-2011 10:48 AM

I still think playing him like we did in 2008 would work best. Have our biggest and strongest corners try and jam him up at the LoS but always have a safety sliding that way in case they can't. Make him work for every reception. Or we could run Nolan's "Big Nickel" and just let him catch 5-10 yard passes all day and hope he doesn't break tackles.

Frankly, I am more worried about their screen game. They run the RB screen as well as almost anyone in the league and we have been known to over-commit/get upfield too quickly and defend it poorly.

binary 10-14-2011 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by abaddon41_80 (Post 2711876)
I still think playing him like we did in 2008 would work best. Have our biggest and strongest corners try and jam him up at the LoS but always have a safety sliding that way in case they can't. Make him work for every reception. Or we could run Nolan's "Big Nickel" and just let him catch 5-10 yard passes all day and hope he doesn't break tackles.

Frankly, I am more worried about their screen game. They run the RB screen as well as almost anyone in the league and we have been known to over-commit/get upfield too quickly and defend it poorly.

damn, Best on a screen is about as scary as it gets.

Ness 10-15-2011 05:25 AM

The Smith-Crabtree connection needs to take off soon.

WhatWouldBillyBajemaDo? 10-15-2011 11:39 PM

Other match up that worries me is Brandon Pettigrew. Feel like he is going to give the 49ers the same type of problems they had trying to cover Jason Witten.

Scotty D 10-16-2011 12:51 AM

Here's to a hard fought game with no injuries.

BRAVEHEART 10-16-2011 04:23 AM

GL 9'er fans. Hopefully we'll meet again in the playoffs.

Ness 10-16-2011 12:08 PM

I knew the 49ers would screw up on their first offensive play. Looks like it's going to be a long day.